Author Topic: New map Abbaye  (Read 6025 times)

FreudDu31

• Stingray
New map Abbaye
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:25:58 AM »
Actually Arnaud P. work on a new map for trying to understand to optimize Industrial map
This map is inspire by "L'abbaye du Mont St-Michel"
The textures for this map are free so soon we can publish a beta version.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:36:17 AM by FreudDu31 »

MosEz

• Autococker
Re: New map Abbaye
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 04:23:01 AM »
cant close my mouth-...

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:48:42 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

draaxk

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:18:49 AM »
I have a compilation problem:

I use the .lin to find the hole, and it pass through the wall. There is no hole!

Jitspoe, can you help me if I send you the .map file ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:25:32 AM by draaxk »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:44:05 AM »
The 'wall' might be an entity.

...and those don't look like our textures. Who's are they?

draaxk

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »
- it's not an entity...

- It's my textures. I create them from free textures.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »
i think this will be a major fps killer, i can imagine getting a max of 2 here :'(

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 11:25:15 AM »
Very nice map, hope you get that leak fixed. 
Finally a map that isnt stuffed with a bunch of useless items as Taco seems to love it ;)

and Lekky... just get a new computer !  ;) :D

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
The tile texture for the stairs steps is very impractical from a realistic point of view.  Even if the stairs were to use the same tiles that the floor uses, there would most likelyl be that black spacing cement/material at each connection of tiles instead of every third or fourth step.  I would see if you have another texture which suits or maybe create a new texture from the original tile texture, except without the black spacing.

Just a quick thought.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 12:11:39 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:44:58 AM by Dirty_Taco »

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 12:19:15 PM »
"Finally a map that isnt stuffed with a bunch of useless items as Taco seems to love it"

Pretty standard objection from people that don't know how to move. I'm sure a big laggy box will have alot better gameplay than my recent maps....

can you imagine barrels or crates in a monastery?  maybe things are different in the western hemisphere...

and yes, I do like to hide behind walls rather than behind barrels, and I don't like stumbling around like we have to do now on the renoir remake.
And yes, I believe that the abbey map might be a lot more fun when it comes down to gameplay than pbcup_renoir(we will only know after testing it tho), although it will most likely not fit matchplay, but rather public gaming. And yes, I like the original renoir more, because you could actually move and didnt have to stumble across all those piles of crates, barrely and unnatural textures... =)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 01:38:08 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:44:55 AM by Dirty_Taco »

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 01:47:04 PM »
wow :O let me play it!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 06:33:23 PM »
DT/Pureblood, let's not turn this into a flamefest.

The map looks very nice, though it will likely have framerate issues for most users.  It's neat to see what can be accomplished even with this crappy old map format and raise the bar for the visual quality and realism of future maps.

As bain mentioned, using that tile texture for the stairs doesn't work very well.  Also, some kind of light fixtures would be nice for light sources.  Are you taking advantage of the HR4 directory for highres textures?

FreudDu31

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:27:10 AM »
We certainly will put object for sources of light like torch.
And yes we use HR4 textures, the problem is that the server can't send them.
But jitspoe we have a compilation problem, can you help us please (http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=2249.msg25954#msg25954)

draaxk

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 01:20:57 AM »
- First of all, these screenshots were made on a notebook which doesn't make more than 62fps.
For this level, we have allways 62fps, like on airtime, shazam and all good map.
I have beetween 280 and 340 fps on my home PC.

- I will change the stairs texture.

- The screenshots were made with HR4 textures enabled, but the low resolution textures are too ready. We will do screenshots with LR textures as soon as the qbsp3 accept to understand that there is no hole were it said that there is one.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »
I am seeing a resemblance in maps for a different game. This map looks a lot like a map from halflife2 that I play at my uncles house. And the textures are almost the same. I think you are stealing the textures/maps from different games. You know you can/could be charged for this?

-Termin8oR

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 03:15:37 PM »
Leaks can also be caused by entities being outside of the world.  I can take a look at the map file, though, if you want.  Just DCC it to me on IRC or upload it somewhere and PM me the link.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 01:50:19 AM »
I took a look at the map.  Very strange.  The leak check does indeed point straight through a solid brush.  I loaded the map up and looked very carefully, and there was actually a hole in the wall there where the leak pointed to.  It must be a bug in the compiler.  I noticed that your walls were paper-thin, though, and that particular wall was made up of 3 thin brushes stuck together.  I didn't have the textures, so I couldn't tell if the 3 brushes were necessary for texture alignment, but I don't think they are.  I replaced them with a single, thicker brush, and it fixed the error.  Unfortunately I messed some other stuff up trying to figure out where the leak was, so you probably don't want my modified map, but it should only take a few seconds to fix.

You had something like this going on:

Code: [Select]
   leak
    v

What you want to do is create something like this

Code: [Select]
                                      use clipping plane for corner
                                                     v

It's a lot cleaner, easier to manage, and the compiler is less likely to screw up.

DAMIEN

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 03:27:25 AM »
visually, it looks very nice. the tectures are a bit repetative though, i think that if u r going for realism, u should make 4-5+ textures w/ minor alterations in appearance. it enhances the overall appearance of something like a room w/ stone walls, authenticity in video game environments is dependant on the consideration of time and nature. in my opinion anyways. nature is random, not repetative. i think this is most evident in the ineer and outter floor/ground.

looks great, better than i could do. i just think that the the variation of an environment w/o making it appear unrecognizable is wut sets the good from the better.

and i agree w/ dt. i doubt ide enjoy gameplay much. but it is promising though