Author Topic: Dead-Man Recon  (Read 22409 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Dead-Man Recon
« on: September 02, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: the ability to tell your teammates things after you've been eliminated.

Kinda like a laggy wall-hack, isn't it? :) "He's crouched behind the crates!"

In ways it's good: includes players in the teamwork even though they've been eliminated.

But at the same time it's bad: Ruins any strategic gameplay, like ambushes, and turns pb2 into more of a mindless reflex/aiming game.

Thoughts?

oddjob

• VM-68
Re: Dead-Man Recon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 06:09:19 PM »
I think you should take it out... I found that it really doesnt do any good for me, I dont even read it when im playing in matches.  

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 08:02:17 PM »
Ive always disliked this.. personaly.. I remeber people bringing this up ages ago.. no one really agreed with me.. Even you Jit! =] I consider it cheating.. but you do allow it, so I guess its not, technicaly.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 07:40:37 AM »
I'm not a big fan of it either, just make sure you keep \me as well as public chat from eliminated players from being heard by alive players.  It would also be cool to make a cvar for the break time in between rounds.

btw, where are the transparent pngs on the forum, why can I only see half of the anime pball dude in mozilla?

edit - forwardslahses are evil
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 07:41:46 AM by XtremeBain »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 11:55:41 AM »
I've been too lazy to put together browser checks and transparent pngs for the forum.  Too bad you can't just specify RGBA colors for table backgrounds...

I was thinking about the recon thing... it'll be even more of an issue with radio commands and location files.  While I can disable these for eliminated players, it won't stop people from reconning from the same room or from roger wilco, etc., giving them a very unfair advantage.  I suppose the only real way to keep it fair would be to have a locked chasecam and black out the observer view during play. (Locked chasecam is already a server-side cvar: chasecamonly).

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 01:55:35 PM »
This isnt neccisarily true, you can always re-intitute the jail system, complete removing people from the game, but keeping them involved without 'blacking' out their screen.

just my opinion.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 06:01:24 PM »
i liked the jail better then anything else caues when your dead you still has somthing to do other then fly around the map. only prob with that is from what i remember you had to fire before you went there so peeps will just not fire and tell team mates where the enemy is.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 06:29:48 PM »
"I suppose the only real way to keep it fair would be to have a locked chasecam and black out the observer view during play." - I would take a big dump on the game if you did that. The only fun I have is jumping around.. zooming around the map and stuff like that. If you were to make the jail, permanant, heres a tip. MAKE THEM MORE FUN =] It would need to be litterd with jumps.. of all kinds.. good places to get some speed.. like ice areas with a hill ! Oh yeah mmmmm - maybe give us 100% accuracy with a pgp when in jail - Theres some ideas for you.. And scince some mappers dont want to make jails.. you could make a few mandatory jails.. not sure thats possible though

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 06:33:16 PM »
I think it automatically moves you a couple seconds after being killed.  Unfortunately most maps don't have jails.  Unfortunately most maps are the size of jails, heh.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 06:55:06 PM »
i agree with what was first sait, and what was just said
to fix what you just said, jit, TAKE OUT ALL THE SMALL MAPS!!!

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 06:26:41 AM »
Dead people can only see their teammates
or
are stuck in camera on their teammates only.
or
dissable it all together

I vote for 1 or 2. Since those would also stop 'roger wilco' type cheating.

po

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 07:24:28 AM »
i think its sort of cheating like some people. but at the same time, i say bring it on  >:(   if the other team's doing it and you still own 'em, it's twice as nice ;D

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 08:21:31 AM »
i agree with what was first sait, and what was just said
to fix what you just said, jit, TAKE OUT ALL THE SMALL MAPS!!!

Why would you take out small maps? Ever played 2vs2 or even 1vs1 ?
Last time I checked (been a while though) there were plenty of big and mid sized maps (+5vs5).

Since the rather unstable connections between US and Europe / Scandinavia (DDoS, general lag etc.)
There's usually no point to play on the few DP servers that exist. Often you gather a few friends and play DP locally.

Running around for 5 mins before you encounter the enemy or the flag just ruins the gameplay.

There's a couple of great small maps;
Arctic, arenaball, hsball, blazin, berlin ...

About the Dead-Man Recon thingy:

First of all, make it a server side option.
If a feature (let us call it that) has been around since
the begining, dont just remove it. Let the server admin decide if he wants it enabled or disabled.

Second, I wote for Dead people can only see their teammates

Just my 2 cents ..

\plaz

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 09:07:52 AM »
I vote for KEEP IT THE WAY it is.  Remember my main suggestion when you took up the project- keep the overall gameplay the same.

Here's my take.  You say that dead recon eliminates strategy for the game- THE GAME HAS NO STRATEGY TO BEGIN WITH.  Jumping around at 600mph  and holding down the mouse button is what eliminated strategy, not dead recon.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 12:02:18 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:23:40 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2003, 12:36:51 PM »
It'd be interesting to play a match in matchmode some time -- ffire on, locked chasecam, no respawning, no dead-man recon, etc.  Someone should start a league that requires matchmode defaults. :)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 06:03:49 PM »
Maybe if the locked chasecam actually worked...  I tried putting ffire on on all 3 match servers but players are smarter than me and have learned that they can disable it with their logins, darn them.  No respawn would be an interesting touch as well.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2003, 05:54:11 AM »
fix it!
the "matchcomde" sounds interesting...but i don't want it on all the servers

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2003, 07:18:20 PM »
Locked chasecam doesn't work?  I tried it on the bots and it seems to work fine...

You could always change the ffire setting to a higher login level...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 07:18:51 PM by jitspoe »

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2003, 12:34:06 PM »
how about we take the jail and make it bigger wit a bunch of jumps. there was a mod for quake2 a while ago where all you did was jump around and try insane jumps that where really hard you can make it so when you die you go to one of those maps for the set time or till you complete the jump map. so guys that can jump really good can get back in the game in like 30 secs.