Author Topic: [Feature]:Make Option For Realistic Movement Speed  (Read 5369 times)

SeanRamey

• PGP
[Feature]:Make Option For Realistic Movement Speed
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »
Can you please make an option in the server options for a realistic movement speed and a realistic jump? I believe that the game will be a ton more fun for people like me who like realistic games rather than crazy defy physics, jump 20 ft. in the air type of games. But I did say make it an option so that other people that like it the way it is now can still have fun!
I hope all that made sense.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: [Feature]:Make Option For Realistic Movement Speed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
i seriously doubt such an idea would catch on. the existing physics are well liked by a lot of people. also, numerous times through the years, it has been stated that DP:PB2 does not aim to be realistic; if that's what you want, there are other paintball games out there like Digital Paintball 2 (HL mod), Digital Paintball Source (HL2 mod), or Greg Hastings' Paintball 2.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:23:30 AM »
There are really many realistic games, so it's nonsens to create more. DP2 main idea is to jump high, all maps are designed for that physics. So, go play CS, AA3 or idk if you think realistic=fun. Every new game is more realistic, just better graphics, and where is gameplay? DP2 is going to keep this physics, as we don't want make this game realistic all the cost, but keep it fun.
And also, i hate people which review DP2 saying that "it should get good physics engine" - If someone doesn't understand what in DP2 gameplay is so special, he shouldn't play it.

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »
The main reason I find most other fps's now boring is because they don't have the same type of physics as this game.

DP2 almost has elements of wipeout in terms to pure speed (shazam 33 is a good example)

My friends will be banging on about some new great FPS game on the PS3, when I play it I just think - god that's really slow..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:29 PM »
I've often toyed with the idea of a "realism" mode just to help draw in new players.  A lot of new people are turned off because they can't run around at 300mph like the experienced players do.  Maybe after playing the realistic version, they'd want a bit more and move on to the "arcade" mode.

SeanRamey

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
well, I was wanting a realistic OPTION for me and my friends that like realistic games that we can play. Also all those games that are realistic paintabll games cost MONEY! this one doesn't and I'm happy with the way it plays and I respect other people's opinions of how they want it but I did say OPTION because that way it allows for more people to like the way it's played. So, it's impossible for this feature to be a negative thing! It can only affect the game positively! So, why not add it?
I think the reason why I (and many other people) like realistic games is because they really can get your heart pumpin'.

Also, how do you know that realistic isn't what more people want? When I play this game, there isn't more than about 20 people on at one time. Now I know that this can be because the game isn't all that well known but still, at least give realism a try. Who knows, maybe some will find that they actually like realism more.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
I've often toyed with the idea of a "realism" mode just to help draw in new players.  A lot of new people are turned off because they can't run around at 300mph like the experienced players do.  Maybe after playing the realistic version, they'd want a bit more and move on to the "arcade" mode.
but what about games like q2, q3, warsow, etc. that have similar physics learning curves? they seem to have done ok without a "realism" mode..

Also all those games that are realistic paintabll games cost MONEY!
Actually, the ones that are mods for HL and HL2 are free -- except that the HL/HL2 games themselves do cost.

I think the reason why I (and many other people) like realistic games is because they really can get your heart pumpin'.
Oh, this game can certainly do that. :)

SeanRamey

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
I screwed this post up so I am going to double post. srry

SeanRamey

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
Actually, the ones that are mods for HL and HL2 are free -- except that the HL/HL2 games themselves do cost.
That's what I'm talkin bout.
Oh, this game can certainly do that. :)
Well, it doesn't get my heart racin' at all... at least not after playing Project Reality. This got very boring to me after about 10min of playing. And it's not like I rage quit either! I actually got quite a few kills and made top on list, but I couldn't figure out how to pickup flag.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to pickup flag.
you just walk over it. however, if the other team has your team's flag, you can't make the capture until they either make the capture or it is somehow returned to your base.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
What would a realism mode exactly do? Only reduce the movement speed or anything else?

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to pickup flag.

He was most likely talking about maps where you have to doublejump to reach the flag.

What would a realism mode exactly do? Only reduce the movement speed or anything else?

Probably disable rampjumps, drastically lower the turning rate on ice and make people trip from high falls.
-------------------
I'm interested in seeing what it would be like to have realistic air friction... Would fit well with those ice maps.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:19:46 PM by joonas »

SeanRamey

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »
He was most likely talking about maps where you have to doublejump to reach the flag.

Probably disable rampjumps, drastically lower the turning rate on ice and make people trip from high falls.
-------------------
I'm interested in seeing what it would be like to have realistic air friction... Would fit well with those ice maps.
Well... Actually I wadn't talking bout the double jump ones (YOU CAN DOUBLEJUMP?!?!?!) but I see how now, it was just that the other team had our flag.
And I kinda just want it so everybody isn't bunnyhopping and flying all over the place! Slow em down a bit and you now have to think about rushing right through to the enemy base! Makes you create a more organized plan and work with your team (There would be much more use of the TEAM chat)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
make people trip from high falls.

I actually think this would be fun without implementing realistic movement too ^^

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker