Author Topic: Making a New Server  (Read 5018 times)

Ace

• Autococker
Making a New Server
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
First off, hello, it's been a while.

I was planning on making a new server that does not fall into the main categories of pub/match/jump. I wanted to make it a place where some of the clan players come to play in a more pub-like setting but without all the nubs clogging it up. I was thinking of adding a password that most of the clan community would be able to have, but the nubish people would not have. Other than this, the configs could be changed to whatever people would want.

Thoughts on a server set up like this?

Edit:

This is a partial rotation that i was considering. Feedback on whether maps should stay or leave would be nice. Also, if any additional maps should be added.

airtime
arenaball
blitz
encounter
grave
italy
jump
pball_shreds1
pbcup_renoir
propaint1
rally21
shazam33
shock
skylit
ub_cliff
ub_rooftop

airtime3
antioch
back2back
barrels
coaster
fort20
indune
nitefactor
oth
pbcup
prolandr
snip_pb1
ub_cliff2k3
xbmap1

Edit #2:

Possible Server Settings:
max clients: 16
elim: 30
forced login: yes
password: ?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:00:22 AM by Ace »

MrPeach

• VM-68
Re: Making a New Server
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
I like this idea. +1

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
Bad idea -1:
Everyone will know password soon
OR
no one will play, always 0/x players.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
First off, hello, it's been a while.

I was planning on making a new server that does not fall into the main categories of pub/match/jump. I wanted to make it a place where some of the clan players come to play in a more pub-like setting but without all the nubs clogging it up. I was thinking of adding a password that most of the clan community would be able to have, but the nubish people would not have. Other than this, the configs could be changed to whatever people would want.

Thoughts on a server set up like this?

it wouldn't hurt trying

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
Payl, sorry to burst your bubble but how could 'everyone' find out? A newbie who just downloaded would find out? No, people in the matching community would know it, and probably people on the forum community too. This means people will at the very least know how to strafe before entering the server. Then it may spread a bit to to public servers but half of them wouldn't listen to you, or even know what you're talking about. This still limits weak players from entering.

A server like this may be better with a forced login -- sorry dystro -- or even just have forced login and no passoword. You wont get the 'newbies', you'll only get players with accounts (usually means some playing experience). Passworded public server probably wouldn't get used enough, or at all. It'd be more beneficial to retry that #dp2pug on IRC.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
A server like this may be better with a forced login -- sorry dystro -- or even just have forced login and no passoword. You wont get the 'newbies', you'll only get players with accounts (usually means some playing experience).

This a good idea to consider, thanks.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »
Your map suggestions:

airtime --> I suppose, would be most fun PGP
arenaball --> No.
blitz --> Sure
encounter --> meh, not that bad.
grave --> Siege maps are liked more by the newbie scene
italy --> Should be fine
jump --> Should be fine
pball_shreds1 --> No.
pbcup_renoir --> With mostly good players it could be fine. But definitely not a popular map (lag issues)
propaint1 --> Good.
rally21 --> Meh, could be fine.
shazam33 --> Good
shock --> Seems to be loved in pubs
skylit --> I don't know what this is off the top of my head
ub_cliff --> go to syncmaster's cable if you want to play that.
ub_rooftop --> Good.

--- Honestly, thinking about it more, the most fun servers are the one's like Superman used to run. Respawn being around 20 seconds, maps are all simple , not many paths. The reason it's most fun is due to the fact it always had a lot of people and even if it was 1 newbie left, the maps were mostly simple enough that it wasn't a problem and didn't ruin the map.

The basic thing is, you wont get 'better' players in pubs often, so you can't really count them on the activity. You need to base it off the newbies, which draw in the better players. Then, a pugbot should be made again instead of a passworded server.

Thats just my opinion.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »
#dp2pug
It's #pb2pug :)
and sorry, but I haven't worked on my pugbot recently. Maybe soon.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
-arenaball
-grave
-shreds
-ub_cliff

+wobluda(fixed)
+zpar11_beta
+pgptrain?
+prolandr?

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:39:32 AM »
Payl, sorry to burst your bubble but how could 'everyone' find out? A newbie who just downloaded would find out? No, people in the matching community would know it, and probably people on the forum community too. This means people will at the very least know how to strafe before entering the server. Then it may spread a bit to to public servers but half of them wouldn't listen to you, or even know what you're talking about. This still limits weak players from entering.

A server like this may be better with a forced login -- sorry dystro -- or even just have forced login and no passoword. You wont get the 'newbies', you'll only get players with accounts (usually means some playing experience). Passworded public server probably wouldn't get used enough, or at all. It'd be more beneficial to retry that #dp2pug on IRC.
Well, my thinking: Pr0 get password, give it to his friend, medium pr0. medium pr0 gives it too normal ppl. Normal ppl give it to bad ppl. Bad ppl give it to newbies. So soon everyone will know password or no one will know it and server will be empty. So it will limit everyone or no one. I'm sure i don't want to go to your thread just to get new password (updated daily?). Or if you don't update it everyone will know it soon.
I think sv_login 2 is better idea, but we already have servers like that. So this idea has been already realised, with good result i think - i often meet good people there.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:05 AM »
I personally would like to see a bunch of older maps in the rotation, so something like the following.

airtime3 (if you are going to put one on, may as well put the one that brings in the most people)
antioch
badlands (maybe, this one is a tossup)
banlieu1_b1 (check spelling on this)
bheaven2
blitz4
crimethink (bigger map; more experienced players would probably play, could also possibly be a server killer)
darkages
daylight_b1
docks2
duck
eclissi2 (yes 2 not the original)
encounter
frostbit2
hillside3
nitefactor
pwa

I have more but I only got up to the P's before I decided to go to bed

JUICEY

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:06 AM »
good idea, maybe we could have an IRC channel so we could all contact each other easier.

And for the passwords, I was thinking the password would be changed every day and would be posted in " OUR channels' " topic?

But +1

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
And for the passwords, I was thinking the password would be changed every day and would be posted in " OUR channels' " topic?
should i already begin development of "password viewer"? Maybe with "server password changer"? lol.
But i still think, this idea is nothing more over sv_login 2, just making it more complicated. Except way, only permited people can get password. But then: how to determine who is good enough?
Still -1

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
^ you sir, are not good enough... awkz.

But seriously, if you're going to make a pub have a pub that will be used by everyone. Don't count on better players to run your pub. So for what you're interested in, working on a pug bot would be the best choice.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
But then: how to determine who is good enough?

If they are getting the password from IRC then they are good enough.

JUICEY

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
If they are getting the password from IRC then they are good enough.

No 'actual' newbies use IRC. We could have a specific channel with a set password so you can't enter the channel without a password, and to see the pw to the server you could check the topic :)

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:07 PM »
Thanks for the map suggestions, my maps folder is a bit lacking in shooter maps since I got back into this. And like kilo said, I want to try to put in some of the older maps to give the older players some maps that don't get played as often as they should. And I was thinking that larger maps would kill a server like this so x out things like crimethink etc.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »
Oh, what are people's thoughts on gun temp?

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:17 AM »
Imo on a public server it avoids lining (unfortunately not also spawnkilling) and forces aiming a little bit. So I think it's a good idea. If a player isn't shooting all the time and kills a few other players now and then, he won't notice it.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »
Gun temp on a pub server can go either way. If the server is run like you want it to be where there are mostly better players then I would say that it probably isn't necessary. However if there are going to be more newer players then I personally would like to see it turned on.