Author Topic: Worldcraft/BSP versus GtkRadiant  (Read 1735 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Worldcraft/BSP versus GtkRadiant
« on: May 28, 2006, 09:34:59 AM »
I'm just curious if any mappers have any points as to why they prefer either WorldCraft or BSP over GtkRadiant, or vise versa.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm not looking for the old WorldCraft vs. BSP story.

bug

• 68 Carbine
Re: Worldcraft/BSP versus GtkRadiant
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 10:04:04 AM »
Why don't I like GtkRadiant? See the attachment.

That is NOT faked -- it's what actually happens when I try to open it. If GtkRadiant is going to cause that much crud and then just plop up and die on first opening it, like heck I'd trust my maps with it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 01:00:47 PM »
I prefer BSP over WC, but I haven't used GTKRadiant enough to compare.  I started out using WC.  It's easy to make boxy stuff and simple angles.  I made most of the QWPB maps with it: the ksplat series, splatterhouse, pb2dm1 (never made it to q1pb, but it was put in q2).  All very simple and boxy maps.  It took me a while to get used to BSP.  I thought it was unnecessarily complicated, but once I got the hang of it, I never went back.  Brainstorm and Midnight were some of the first maps I made with BSP, I think.

3D clipping planes are an essential feature WC lacks.  You simply cannot construct maps well without them.  I've seen the way DT makes complicated maps with WC and it's a nightmare.  If I want to change something, I have to delete like 20+ brushes to get rid of an object that could be made with 1 or 2 in BSP.

I would assume GTKRadiant has 3d clipping brushes, too, and with as long as it's been around and updated, it probably has even more features than BSP.  To top it off, it's open-sourced, and I'll probably end up having to use it when we switch to a new map format, so I'd suggest learning GTKRadiant.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »
I was bored and ended up trying to make a game pack for pb2 since it seemed so easy(You can use Q2, but throwing in the pb2 stuff would be perfect for mappers).  However it keeps crashing when trying to start up with the pb2 selected.  I'll have to look into it a bit further.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:51:42 PM »
I tried BSP, but stuck with WorldCraft, I found that WorldCraft was easier for me to get a 3D view on how the map is going to actually look when played, and thanks to the flash tutorial I caught onto how to do all the easy things quickly.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »
I prefer GtkRadiant because it has an easy-to-use interface and can be used with many, many games. Also I am used to editors similar to it.

BSP? Too much like Build. As for worldcraft, never tried it.