Author Topic: Libya - Protest and Revolt  (Read 7639 times)

aircrew

• VM-68
Libya - Protest and Revolt
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »
             Well, it was a long time ago I finished my last map. The true is I´ve been working on few maps which would blow your mind, but I am too lazy to finish them. But I am bored of same old maps playing over and over and all crappy grassy/rocky maps published here on forum so I just had to made one! *APPLAUSE*

The map is called Libya - Protest and Revolt but don´t take it too seriously. No, there is not burning car and thousands of rebels  *THUMBS DOWN*. Map is quite small, good for 1s, 2s, maybe for 3s. Map is not too fast so it offers lots of tactical possibilities. Each players starts with Spyder and loaded Co2.

Well, I hope I said everything and you will remember my speech forever. If you will find some bug or other suggestion just post it here or give me a phone. If you will find a grammar mistake in my text, just don´t.
          I have some problem with taking sshots, so just download it or someone maybe can take fews.

Thanks AirC

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:02:42 PM by webhead »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Libya - Protest and Revolt
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
Map looks good. It was a little strange to see no flags on the map, but considering the size of it I think this might as well turn out to be cool.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:03:00 PM by webhead »

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
;D, looks good, gj

Burnhouse

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
Heey, nice map :)
I've got a few things :)

At on part at the video i want to said "Rotate 90°" but console cant write this °, or im too bad ;D

-Burnie

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
Requesting textures/ctp1/hr4/concrete_g_7.png
Requesting textures/ctp1/hr4/concrete_s_-1.png
Requesting textures/ctp1/hr4/dirt_b_3.png

I don't have these textures, maybe someone could upload them here? :)

I watched the map only for some seconds, but it looks cool, something new.

Edit: 3 things I have noticed so far:

Red: You should rotate the texture at all sides of the woods (both bases).

Red: You should rotate the texture here, too (both bases).

Red: Move the texture a bit to the left side (only blue base I think).
Green: The texture at this site has the size from the texture at the top. You should make it a bit smaller.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:24:07 PM by Chucki »

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
Thanks. :)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
nice map good job.
 I only noticed one thing.

i hope i am allowed to use this screen. But i think all the ladders are really hard to climb, sometimes you even have to jump. You could use a clip brush around the ladder and make it "ladder", if you understand what i mean...

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »
You can use the screen, no problem. ;) I noticed that, too, but I thought it would be no problem. :D I think it's good that you have to jump, because it's a small and a fast map and when you want to use the ladder it's a bit slower.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »
maybe.
But in no map i already played i saw something like that, but of course it isnt a real problem. it would be nice to test this map anywhere :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »
Looks like a fun little map - I've attached a demo with some suggestions and put it up on the beta server.  PM me if you need the beta server login.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:39 AM »
Cool map! Downloaded and played with a friends, was pretty fun!

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 04:18:04 AM »
Looks very nice.

Some more stuff to do, I'll try not to post stuff that other people already mentioned.

I'd add some settings for the sun lighting to the worldspawn. Maybe something like this:

Code: [Select]
"_sun_light" "250"
"_sun_angle" "72 -25"
"_sun_ambient" "30"
"_sun_diffuse" "60"

Add "angle" "#" to the player spawns, that they don't look in front of a wall or a box after spawning.

Oh, and maybe add some ammo packs :)

Some more screenshots...

Red: Some of the arches are looking crooked.

Red: Here're small edges you need to fix.

Red: Here, too.

Red: One misaligned face.

Red: Move the ladder out of the wall.

Red: Add clip brushes here.

Red: I'd like to see clip brushes here, too.

Red: Move the tree a little bit or rotate it with "angle" "#".

Red: Hm...you can shoot the nodraw brush in the air. That's very weird. Maybe split the nodraw brush that you have one wide brush on the ground, one middle wide brush in the mid and one small brush on top to fix this.

Online @ [OTB] Beta!

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
Ok, I have looked on all your suggestions and comment and I´ve added few things and rotated few textures, but I am really not a fan of finding every possible small mistake. Anyway, if you have something important on your mind, tell me now or never! Beta 2 is here, I hope it might be the last one, gotta work on next map. Thanks AirC

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »
The map looks already funny, but it's not ready for final release yet.

Keep on working if you want that this map can get a change to become something special. There're hundrets of maps like the current version of this one. Don't let it be just one more.

The first beta of a new map is just the half work of mapping. For most of the maps the work of the following betas need more time and effort than the complete first beta. You should know that before starting to map.

If you don't want to improve your maps you shouldn't have started mapping, because then it's more wasting your time than creating useful maps people can remember after a few weeks.

Most of the feedback of this board can be done very easily and quickly, so there's no reason not to do it, actually...Maybe you can search and find someone to work in a team with you, if you're too lazy for improvements or don't have the knowledge how to do it.

I'll post more feedback about the gameplay etc. after you finished the next beta, because most of the stuff the people mentioned isn't done yet.

Online @ [OTB] Beta!

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 11:00:52 AM »
Chef, I understand your point about trying to keep on improving maps, but I think we should not overrate it. I have to say I have no experience with mapping or whatsoever, but I see nothing that could be improved on this map other than a few textures maybe.

I agree this map is probably not going to be used for matches, but I can imagine this map becoming very popular on a PGP only map.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
             Oh, well, don´t take it too seriously. Nothing mentioned in this topic can improve gameplay or change it to something special if it already isn´t. I mean the gameplay is the most important thing for me and none of these small mistakes is the thing normal player will notice. I really appreciate all feedback and your comments, but this is just overdone.I fixed all bugs which are visible for normal player I think. Sometimes I even didn´t know what exactly do you mean in your screens.
             Anyway, since I no longer play this game I don´t have to care if you call this map final release. I don´t even care if I´ve pissed you off and you will remove this map from Beta server.
             I do like mapping and I think I can say I try my best and do something good for players even I am not a part of the community. It´s up to you if you will accept small mistakes in my maps which don´t make the gameplay worse in any case or you will keep on playing same old maps over and over. But maybe this is one of  the reasons why this game is dying. Thanks AirC

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »
Chef, I understand your point about trying to keep on improving maps, but I think we should not overrate it. I have to say I have no experience with mapping or whatsoever, but I see nothing that could be improved on this map other than a few textures maybe.
That's why different people post feedback here :D You don't need to see everything, but a mapper should pay attention to feedback. Otherwise he don't need to post a map on this board.

Back to the map...If a player is looking in front of a wall after spawning, it definitely affects the gameplay. And for the textures, it's not just me who noticed them. So they're visible for "normal" players, too.

And if you don't know what people mean with their screenshots, you could ask instead of ignore it. It's the sentence with the ? at the end.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
Well I meant normal player as player which doesn´t try to find every possible mistake. I didn´t want to ask about your sshots since I haven´t found anything wrong about them. Why to rotate the texture on the bridge ?

This doesn´t improve the gameplay and players care about gameplay. You care about stupid misaligments. Maybe it´s time to notice what responsibility you have, even it´s just a game.

As I said I no longer play the game, do whatever you like with that map. Maybe put it in the grave with sign Paintball 2 ???

Malware

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
Awesome map, it really has Libya ambient :D