18 (51.4%)
#3 - Old Hr4
2 (5.7%)
#4 - New Hr4
14 (40%)
5 - Post your own textures.
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Barrel textures.  (Read 5706 times)

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Barrel textures.
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »
Im starting a discussion about the barrels we got now.

Is there anyone around who could make better looking barrel textures?

http://www.imagebanana.com/view/kar2sh12/pbcup_sshots_barrels.png

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Barrel textures.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »
The people voting Baby Blue and stuff are just so used to it that it looks nice, your opinions are skewed to your current likings. If you were starting a game, those wouldn't be nearly as appealing as the HR4 ones Jitspoe made. That's the same reason people have problem's with Jitspoe's wall textures / grass textures. Sorry folks, these bright grass textures or neon grass textures do not look nicer, you could potentially argue they look cleaner but that is really about it.

If you look at it from a fresh view, entering a game, the normal HR4 texture is nicer, but everyone will argue this saying they the bright textures are so much nicer. I honestly think DP should just stop trying to look 'real' and go toon. The physics are already unrealistic, why not make the game toony.

Also -- If those light barrels don't become bannable (I know people get warned etc..) then it needs to be publicly posted or something, so everyone knows. Because yes, they are a slight advantage over the normal ones. You can clearly see player models beside those, unlike the normal ones at times.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
Bah. I want to see new barrel textures and would love it if some of our community members would make some to showcase and possibly be added to the game we all love....

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »
I honestly think DP should just stop trying to look 'real' and go toon.

I beg to differ. Maybe if we took pictures of real stuff, then the game would look realistic.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
I beg to differ. Maybe if we took pictures of real stuff, then the game would look realistic.

You completely misunderstood my point.... I never said 'dp cant look real' -- I said 'dp should stop TRYING to look real'. I don't really understand where you got your response from, but anyways... DP's physics aren't realistic (which is a main reason people like playing it), so I figure why not make the textures/models go along with the physics? The texture's jitspoe is making DO look realistic, that's part of the reason a lot of the community (not including me) dislikes them. They like the clean-bright textures which in my opinion are the worst choice. But anyways, to sum it up, you completely misunderstood me.

And sorry zimtstern for pushing this a bit off topic talking about general textures and stuff rather then just the barrels.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
I don't really understand where you got your response from

I remember hearing that the reason why newbs quit is because of bad graphics. People expect this game to look at least like Halo 1.

Maybe I'm wrong.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 01:48:20 AM »
That s no problem i just want someone to make good looking barrel textures:P

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:18:37 AM »
The screenshot shows only the baby blue and the old hr4 barrels. I would like to see the low res (normal) and jitspoes new barrels too.

Here are all four barrel sets:

Small: http://www.otb-server.de/hr4/barrels/all_small.png
Big: http://www.otb-server.de/hr4/barrels/all_big.png

I personally prefer #3 or #4 with less slime and a rusty edge at the bottom.

Maybe you can restart the poll with this options/screenshot.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:36:12 AM by T3RR0R15T »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
I remember hearing that the reason why newbs quit is because of bad graphics. People expect this game to look at least like Halo 1.

I think this also has to do with the fact that newbies don't know how to enable the HR4 textures. Jitspoe is working on an official HR4 pack, and I hope he decides to automatically enable them with the installation (or at least display a box where people can decide to do so).

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »
I agree with Myers.

I don't understand why we are trying to make an unrealistic game 'look' real.

Because of the physics this game it will never be realistic so why not appeal to the 'toonish' style, which would greatly improve the look and appeal of the game.

Jitspoe's HR4 barrels look considerably more real than the light blue/baby pink ones, BUT the lighter barrels suit the game more.

Another example would be models, the old models are SO much better and I really miss them and would appreciate it if Jitspoe would include support for them again. (PLEASE)

Do they look real? Hell no! Are they more visually appealing than the current?

Yes, the new models are so stiff and boring to look at...

They look more real but they  don't go with the 'tooniness' (lol) of this game.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »
IMO paintball should have new, higher resolution textures, high quality models of guns, flags, etc. - but not realistic. It should still give player ability to shoot accurately on enemy, so everything which makes seeing enemy harder etc. is unwanted. Maps should have higher detail level and shadows from players would be nice.

"Toonish" style is nice too, but:
1. It makes seeing enemy harder
2. If it isn't really good looking, it might be considert as trash.
3. I don't know any game with "toonish" style on which would i base to tell that "Toonish" style is better.

Another example would be models, the old models are SO much better and I really miss them and would appreciate it if Jitspoe would include support for them again. (PLEASE)
I don't know why you want this, old models have low vertices count, and they just make game more annoying (i hate player dying animation).

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
Jitspoe's HR4 barrels look considerably more real than the light blue/baby pink ones, BUT the lighter barrels suit the game more.
It's your opinion maybe. I don't think so. For me they're just looking ugly and don't suit anything. I don't like them. My opinion :)

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

I disagree, the toonish style makes it easier to see people. An example would be everyone using those light blue/baby pink barrels because of that exact reason.

Trying to make a Quake 2 mod look realistic would look like trash. But giving it a new look and style would possibly attract players because of it's uniqueness instead of trying to be like every other game out there when it's clearly not.

I don't know why you want this, old models have low vertices count, and they just make game more annoying (i hate player dying animation).

The new models for me are really hard to see... Since I've switch I know my aim has gotten a lot worse. You may not like them but I know a lot of other players do. Even if it's not the main model it should be included as an option so players like myself can enjoy them.

P.S - All of this is my opinion, although I know a lot of other players feel the same way.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:43 AM »
If everyone would use them, there wouldn't be a dis-/advantage :D

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
The people voting Baby Blue and stuff are just so used to it that it looks nice, your opinions are skewed to your current likings. If you were starting a game, those wouldn't be nearly as appealing as the HR4 ones Jitspoe made

http://i.imgur.com/1DLGv.jpg

Could have gotten more feedback by actually making a thread rather than temporarily hijacking one, but I didn't think they'd find voting on barrel textures all that interesting. This is the picture they were voting on.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
I disagree, the toonish style makes it easier to see people. An example would be everyone using those light blue/baby pink barrels because of that exact reason.
I don't know how you imagine toonish Paintball (SS of similar game?), but i haven't seen many toonish games. Most of them are choosing easiest way: realistic. Just remember that we don't have professional models and textures creators. IMO toonish way might be too hard, and we will see trash instead of our imagined perfect paintball...

Trying to make a Quake 2 mod look realistic would look like trash. But giving it a new look and style would possibly attract players because of it's uniqueness instead of trying to be like every other game out there when it's clearly not.
Now, we have not-so-nice, but realistic graphics. What would happen if we change it to other, worse for most players, unique graphics? Well, IMO many players will leave.

The new models for me are really hard to see... Since I've switch I know my aim has gotten a lot worse. You may not like them but I know a lot of other players do. Even if it's not the main model it should be included as an option so players like myself can enjoy them.
r_oldmodels 1
vid_restart
It's possible... But IMO those models are bad-looking. And they are not "toonish"...

P.S - All of this is my opinion, although I know a lot of other players feel the same way.
No one knows, what most players of DP thinks about that. IMO we should go on compromise, we shouldn't change too much, be we shouldn't leave it as it is now.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 03:47:45 AM »
From what i see its pretty close between those 2 textures. And still theres noone who could make a newer one to compare?:)

I reset the Poll, thanks terrorist.

For all those who don`t go through posts again:

Small: http://www.otb-server.de/hr4/barrels/all_small.png
Big: http://www.otb-server.de/hr4/barrels/all_big.png

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 03:59:29 AM »
3. I don't know any game with "toonish" style on which would i base to tell that "Toonish" style is better.

1. If a mapmaker knows what they are doing it wouldn't make seeing them harder.
2. Valid Point
3. I would say probably the best "toonish" game I can think of is Team Fortress 2. And TF2 is pretty badass.

Old models have always been better and will probably continue to be.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »

I don't know what world you're in right now, but the Baby blue barrels are closer to toon then any of the other ones. And if you find enemies harder to see off that, then you need your eyes checked. (Not meant to be an insult, more of a sarcastic remark) -- Also, it's all relative. If the enemies are harder to see, they'd be harder for everyone, or vice versa for easier to see.

But the toon thing was just a little side-note I decided to add to view opinions on it. It'd take way to much time and effort to do, I just personally think the game would be better. (player model could be the one like the guy in the right-corner of this forum).

On topic -- to me ingame I like the dark blue ones the best, because I prefer the clean look over the detailed. But the nicest looking with detail and all that jazz has to be number 4. And if we're working on making the game as nice - in the realistic view - as possible, I think #4 is the only way to go unless somebody makes a different one.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 09:27:30 AM »
I made a couple of barrel textures a few times now - they're extremely easy to make - but the problem is that they look different depending on the map.

Check these out for yourselves, but there are at least 3 commonly used barrel styles, each resulting in the textures improper distortion.

1. Castle1 style barrels: on 2 sides of the old 32 unit handmade barrels, the texture is automatically not lined up with its adjacent sides.

2. Cusoman style barrels - using 32 unit radius with the "cylinder" option: on 2 sides of the barrels, the texture is automatically not lined up with its adjacent sides.

3. Jitspoe's preferred barrels: 24 unit radius with the cylinder option: i think the full texture lines up all the way around except for 1 edge where they don't meet up properly.

You can see these discrepancies depending on the hr4 texture you use, the smooth baby colored ones are hard to see because its mostly one color, and Jitspoe's newest hr4 textures are perfect for fixing these because of the vertical lines.  Using the otb hr4 pack or the standard res you can walk around the barrels in many different maps and see that the textures don't actually go all the way around.

Pictures weren't included because I am posting from memory, but it should be easy to see these problems with barrel textures in game.

This makes creating a universally good-looking hr4 barrel problematic, and I think Jitspoe's barrel is the best at fixing this problem.

- Cusoman