Author Topic: MistyCity  (Read 7627 times)

ElimNator

• PGP
MistyCity
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »
Map Misty City

Download:
 MistyCity_b1
 MistyCity_b2
 MistyCity_b3

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:28:07 AM by ElimNator »

payl

• 68 Carbine
Re: MistyCity
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »
Epicly bad map!
1. Why you don't make beta before final?!
2.Wut? 13000 r_speeds?
3.Why in red base there are red walls while in blue base there are normal walls?
4.WHY EVERYWHERE DOORS? Doors ruin gameplay of maps!
5.Everyone could camp in their base, it's almost impossible to get other team flag.
6.This map is totally unplayable.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
Epicly bad map!
1. Why you don't make beta before final?!
2.Wut? 13000 r_speeds?
3.Why in red base there are red walls while in blue base there are normal walls?
4.WHY EVERYWHERE DOORS? Doors ruin gameplay of maps!
5.Everyone could camp in their base, it's almost impossible to get other team flag.
6.This map is totally unplayable.

Couldn't of tried to be a little more polite about it, lol. It's clearly his first (or one of his first) maps he's ever made, and he put some effort into it. Most people are so excited after finishing a map that they want to release it, and to them it is good.

ElimNator: Don't release your first like 5 or so maps, wait till you improve your mapping skills otherwise most community members (as shown above) will tell you how bad it is. You should also ask other mappers for help so you can improve your mapping (if they are willing). Goodluck with future maps, but you should probably scrap this one.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
Couldn't of tried to be a little more polite about it, lol. It's clearly his first (or one of his first) maps he's ever made, and he put some effort into it. Most people are so excited after finishing a map that they want to release it, and to them it is good.
You are right, i was so happy after i created my first map (it was epicly bad map ofc). But i'm still sure, he should practice more before releasing map. And yeah, i wasn't really nice :-[ . But IMO newbies shouldn't really use forums, as they call me cheater, because i jump high and/or kill them... And this is just another example: He haven't ever made any beta... But he could read sticky topics, which says "Make some betas before final". And i'm sure somewhere is "doesn't publish ur first maps". If he could read... but no one except me reads stickies carefully. Anyway, as i said, i failed too, thanks MyeRs for not flaming once, i'll try to be nicer (at least) to newbies...

If i haven't rellased any map, it doesn't mean i haven't made some. I'm slowly planing to publish one of them (but i'm generally busy at other things). And maybe i'm not bsp master, but i know how to use it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:17:30 PM by webhead »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
Practice makes perfect. Keep working on bsp... Don't make structures like that. Just make stuff related to dp. Like the classic bunkers houses and such. ohh and guys guys.. stop trolling mkay?

ElimNator

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
Actually I know BSP quite well, I didn't make this map for game play, I designed it on what me and my bros like. (We had a blast on this map) I just though that I would share it in case there is some people who might like it.

Also I don't think your encouraging new members...

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:52:33 AM »
 You see, there are thousands of map for DP and there are so many maps that are crap :). Yours is one of them. Don't feel bad about it, if you feel you have it in you to create a good looking map with good gameplay then keep trying. If not, noone cares.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:11 AM »
Is it a final or will you work on it?

ElimNator

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:37 AM »
I will still work on it, Ideas for better gameplay?

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
You added lots of nice ideas, but I guess the map is too much opened for this game. Without changing the structure to avoid such big and opened areas there're probably not enough possibilities to reduce the r_speeds to make this map playable sometime. I think it's a good learning project for you. You shouldn't put too many expectations in this map, though.

Btw, it looks like you didn't run a final compile.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
Has it been fully lit and vised?  It doesn't look like it from the screenshot.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
I think these are the nessesary compilers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

QBSP for testing your map.

VIS/RAD for testing your lights and making the lighting realistic. It also vises your map which reduces  r_speeds. Having high r_speeds is bad, which is why vising is important.

Final Compile This is what you use for seeing what the final map will look like.

Final Compile (high quality)  Same thing as Final Compile but with higher quality.

I'm not sure what the rest of them do. But I'm working on a map and I used it to test the compilers. I hope this doesn't screw up my map.

MoHawkBoy

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »
that's an awesome map

HaRmonY

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »
i like the Idea of Map.
But u can't play this map without laggs <- r_speeds
Maybe edit the lightning a bit that we can see more.

For better Gameplay u should make another way to the other site or making a low-way.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »
If he run a final.compile - export the r_speeds will be only half of the original ones. Maybe it´ll be better then.

ElimNator

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
OK, thanks Ill do some fixing.

HaRmonY

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
and rename this map to mistycity_b1. And name your next version of it with that fixes mistycity_b2 :)

jE

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »
I really like the map, but  some more lights and maybe some new paths would be useful.
The flags are too hidden imo, first time i had to walk around a little to find them.
With some work on it, this map should be fun to play....at least in pubs

ElimNator

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Any specific ideas of how to make this map better?

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »
Make betas, reduce r_speeds, add lighting, fix warnings and errors, try to avoid open areas, run a final compile, maybe reduce the fog a little bit, maybe replace the brush trees with tree models, ...

I think that's all for now. First of all, the map should be playable somehow. Trying to improve gameplay, details, alignments and stuff like that can be done later.