Author Topic: Gaming Laptop Horrible FPS Help  (Read 6946 times)

Bix

• Autococker
Gaming Laptop Horrible FPS Help
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
Basically I just got a ASUS N53sv laptop. I know it isn't a gaming laptop but i should be able to run dp smoothly. At 800x600 fullscreen i experienced the least problems although the game still ran extremely choppy.

Here are the stats on the laptop

Product Features
Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Processor 2.0 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz; 500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4GB of DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 slots, 16GB Max; Nvidia GT540M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM; Super-Multi Optical Disk Drive
1 USB 3.0 port; 2 USB 2.0 Ports; Bluetooth; 5-in-1 card reader (SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,MS-Duo); Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn
15.6-Inch HD (1366x768) LED Display; HDMI Port; VGA Port; 2.0MP Webcam; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

All the drivers are updated. Any help is welcomed.

EDIT: Internet connection is not the issue.

EDIT: black ops and mw2 run perfectly SMOOTH on high settings.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:11:24 PM by Bix »

CheMiCal

• Autococker
Re: Gaming Laptop Horrible FPS Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
reflective water off? and you could put your texture quality all the way down, might help. also don't use brightness at all, uhm i also turn lightmap excrement all the way down, helped me alot was like a 20 fps gain.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
My fps isn't really the issue. I am normally between 80~ and 500 fps yet my PPS seems to drop and spike constantly.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
That computer is really enough to run crysis on high with decent FPS. Check your video card drivers, your hardware should be no problem at all for a game like DP.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
I know spook. Supposedly I can run black ops, crysis 2 etc on high settings with no problems.

I just got the laptop so i'm downloading tf2 and black ops now so i can test those out. It isn't as much that i am lacking fps (although i think it should be much much higher at the 1366x768 resolution) compared to just how choppy the game feels. Mouse movements do not seem fluid at all.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
All the drivers are updated.
Are you sure?
If yes, then you have bad OpenGL support probably. Try sth like Warsow.

There is one good resolution for laggy games: Decrease graphics effects.

As it's new laptop, maybe OpenGL support is bad now. (Yeah i love to repeat myself)

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
Try to disable hyperthreading. I think pb2 only uses one core, and hyperthreading divides the core in two so you're essentially playing pb2 with only a 1-1.4ghz single core cpu.

You say that you lag even with good fps because your PPS goes down. What makes you sure that it isn't an internet issue? Are you using a wire, do other multiplayer games run smoothly etc.? You could do a pingtest and make sure that it isn't the internet's fault, although that test might not be that accurate.

Spikes can be caused by
- programs running in the background, although you've got 7 other threads for those so it might not be this
- other people using the same internet connection
- overheating (I guess)

Your computer might be overheating because of the unlimited fps, although I doubt that's the case, it's still good to limit the fps in order to have a longer battery life and make the cpu live longer.

Edit: That cpu might have an integrated gpu as well, but I'm not sure. If it does, make sure that you're using the nvidia gpu, not the intel one while playing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:50:53 PM by joonas »

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
It is not an internet issue and I can now confirm that other games (mw2) ARE running smoothly with high graphic settings. It seems like the game isn't reacting to my mouse. That is the best way to describe the lag I have. I was talking to idias and he seemed to have the same problem on an old laptop of his.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »
Hm, try going into the mouse settings in control panel and uncheck "enhance pointer precision" (or something like that).  This disables mouse acceleration, which usually just causes problems in games.  You might also check your touchpad drivers to make sure they're not doing anything weird like disabling the mouse movement while you press keys.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
Bix, i have same problem. I have new laptop ASUS n73sv and my fps is 50-200..

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
Hmmm. Problem solved. Here's what happened.

I transferred my config over from my old computer so i thought none of the issues would be with the game. Under look settings I unchecked "smooth mouse" and "look strafe". That solved my problem with the "lag" and choppiness.

My fps is about 150~ on maps like pbcup_renoir in the middle at 1366x768 fullscreen. I feel like that should be higher as black ops, mw2, and tf2 all run on high to ultra high graphic settings with no visual lag.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
fps doesnt have to be everything. For example I can run pb at about 400fps average and i get no fps lag. Bit when accidentelly my fps lowers under 100 it lags like hell. But COD 7 runs smoothly for me at 80 fps ;). You can try showing fps in COD 7 so you can see the difference in PB and COD 7.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
fps doesnt have to be everything. For example I can run pb at about 400fps average and i get no fps lag. Bit when accidentelly my fps lowers under 100 it lags like hell. But COD 7 runs smoothly for me at 80 fps ;). You can try showing fps in COD 7 so you can see the difference in PB and COD 7.
Our eyes can't see anything above 50/60 fps anyway.  Do you see a fluorescent light flicker?  Only just, and thats at about 50-60Hz, depending on the power supply.  I keep my max fps at about 80-100, works and looks fine.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
I dunno about you, Cameron, but 60 Hz on a CRT monitor is quite visible and will tire anyone's eyes out before long. I guess 70-ish is the upper limit of what we can see, as I can't tell a difference between 70 and 85 Hz on a CRT.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
Most LCD's are limited to 60fps.

I wonder if I should just remove the smooth mouse option...

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »
Most LCD's are limited to 60fps.
Of course. I was just using CRTs as an example since their Hz setting is something you can actually see, whereas LCDs work differently.

I wonder if I should just remove the smooth mouse option...
What does it even do? I've never figured it out.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 05:12:39 AM »
I dunno about you, Cameron, but 60 Hz on a CRT monitor is quite visible and will tire anyone's eyes out before long. I guess 70-ish is the upper limit of what we can see, as I can't tell a difference between 70 and 85 Hz on a CRT.
My point was the fact that even a minimum of 100fps you shouldn't be able to see the difference.  And then again, the frequency of the screen would also limit it.  60Hz, yeah I remember having to change off that, did annoy me.  I'm using 75 atm, no problems :).

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 10:12:29 AM »
What does it even do? I've never figured it out.

I've read that mouse smoothing just takes the average of your mouse movement in a certain timeframe and then applies the average instead of the raw data. So if your mouse movements aren't as steady as you'd want them to be, you apply mouse smoothing to get rid of the stutter. It might help with strafing for example (if it works as it should that is).

My point was the fact that even a minimum of 100fps you shouldn't be able to see the difference.  And then again, the frequency of the screen would also limit it.  60Hz, yeah I remember having to change off that, did annoy me.  I'm using 75 atm, no problems :).

I'm not sure why, but Quake based games have always had trouble with FPS. Using 60 fps doesn't look as smooth as 120 fps, and 120 fps doesn't feel as smooth as 240 fps and so on. For example, Quake 4 would start to stutter if my FPS went down from an otherwise steady 60 fps to 55 or so. Playing with 40fps was nearly torture there, even though some other games do not seem to stutter at all around 35 fps.

Technically, 60 FPS is the usual limit, but the stuttering I think I'm talking about is caused by something else and it goes away with unnecessary high framerates. I personally use 125 fps even though 200+ fps feels more comfortable (CPU becomes noisy).

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
Right now im playing at 800x600 fullscreen and my fps is pretty high. Unfortunately I cant even see people move on the other side of some maps. IE renoir carp pforest. The higher resolutions cause me to have a lot of fps lag. :/

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
I think it just has to do with the pace of the game.  You don't fly around at 30-70mph on most games, so a lower framerate doesn't feel as bad.

Bix: Try using a lower FOV?