Author Topic: New map: Ljump1  (Read 3532 times)

joonas

• VM-68
New map: Ljump1
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
Name: Ljump1_b1
Category: Strafe jumping
Difficulty: Hard, progressive
Length: 5 levels

There we go..! This was originally supposed to be my first dplogin post, but I didn't make it.

I started making this map because nobody else had made one quite like it. There were some strafe maps that we played on the jump servers, but they weren't really that difficult to beat and I didn't feel like I could progress by playing them. The ones that were hard weren't fit for PB2 because of the layout.
This is, but I'd rather that it wasn't played on the servers before it's out of the beta stages.

I designed the map to use the old HR4 metal1_3 texture, so I made a new folder for it to make sure that everyone's using it (the map looks bad without the old texture's imperfections). Just extract the .zip file into the paintball2 folder, then start the game and type jump/ljump1_b1 to play the map.

Level 1

edit: Oh yeah. There are a few things I know I need to fix, but I wanted to publish it today and the compiling takes too long for that.
Edit2: I used one Q2 lava texture (e1u3/lava) because PB2 had none. It isn't included in the .zip file.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:53:08 PM by joonas »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: New map: Ljump1
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »
The lava in http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=16738.0 looks pretty good, maybe give that a shot?

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
Looks cool, although I feel the lighting as very tiring for the eyes.

You should move up the player spawns a little bit, that there's no bouncing after spawning at the beginning of the map.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta! You can start it with "newmap beta/ljump1_b1". PM me if you need the login.

EDIT: Ups, forgot the screenshot :D

Green: There's a small hole and a "secret room" behind the hole because of it. You should extend the wall and the corner of the ramp to the floor a little bit to fix this.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
Rick: Thanks, I hope it fits in.

Looks cool, although I feel the lighting as very tiring for the eyes.
Is it like really dark for you? I've noticed that low end machines make the lightning look even darker and mushier than it actually is, so I didn't enjoy the map at all on the laptop.

You should move up the player spawns a little bit, that there's no bouncing after spawning at the beginning of the map.
It doesn't bounce for me. Does the bouncing occur to anyone else?

You seem to be missing the pball_old/metal1_3 file and CTP1 textures  :(. Are the paths wrong? The secret room is actually a 1 unit tall icy surface that just extends under the ramp and wall. I will shorten it for the next beta.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:20 AM »
I meant that the bright red lighting is nothing for my eyes, not that the map is too dark at all.

I just didn't moved the old metal1_3 texture to the texture folder pball_old yet, but CTP1 is available already.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »
Bad map, very bad map. Not suitable for blaa. Do not download.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
Beta 2

- Aligned some textures
- Changed the lava texture
- Modified various ramps, not sure whether I should have
- Moved the end 3 units further away, but with the way ramps work, I don't think it became harder at all
- Altered the two loops a little, isn't that noticeable
- Lifted the spawns up from the ground
- Removed the "hidden room" that was caused by the transparent ice going a little too far below the wall
- Moved two teleports a little, not that noticeable
- Added transparent plates to signify teleporters so that nobody has to search for them

The new download is in the first post. This time you need to type map beta/ljump1_b2 to play the map.

Edit: I can't see how the lava looks like, so could someone post two screenshots of the lava with and without reflective water turned on?

Edit2: I accidentally compiled the map with the lava texture, so the first room is more red than it should be (the lava isn't emitting white light like it's supposed to). I will recompile it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:35:02 AM by joonas »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
Uploaded the map to our beta server!

Edit: I can't see how the lava looks like, so could someone post two screenshots of the lava with and without reflective water turned on?
Done! Btw. I know it's not your texture, but the HR4 texture isn't correct. It's more like a HR2 texture (256x256 and 512x512).

Edit2: I accidentally compiled the map with the lava texture, so the first room is more red than it should be (the lava isn't emitting white light like it's supposed to). I will recompile it.
I think it's correct that the lave texture is emitting colored light. You may need to rename or delete the .wal file while the final compile is running.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Aww.. I had hoped that the lava would have looked similar to the streaming lava. Why does the warping effect ruin the coloring?

I know it's not your texture, but the HR4 texture isn't correct. It's more like a HR2 texture (256x256 and 512x512).
Hmm, which texture is the correct one?

I think it's correct that the lave texture is emitting colored light. You may need to rename or delete the .wal file while the final compile is running.
It looks worse when the room is that red though.

I'm in the process of changing the teleporter plates, so instead of recompiling I'll make a b3. It'll be ready tomorrow, probably.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
I'm not sure. Would probably use 128x128 for the low res texture and the .wal file.

MarawaNa

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
purtyy easy map =D

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
I'm not sure. Would probably use 128x128 for the low res texture and the .wal file.
I don't have a 128x128 texture in the folder. If I can find it from somewhere, I'll replace it. But another problem is that I also have two HR4 512x512 lava textures, with the only difference being .jpg and .png. I don't know why the pack had both, so I didn't take chances and just took both of them. Should I ditch the other one, and which one?

My goal is to perfect the map, so I would appreciate it if I could get at least some critique regarding it. There are some textures that would need to be aligned correctly, but the biggest issue is probably the jumps. Does the difficulty get harder at a good pace, and should the last room be modified somehow? If the map would be finished already, what would cause it to not be popular in your opinion? I'm not afraid of huge changes regarding the map, seeing as I've already removed like 4 rooms, sounds etc. from it because of various errors, so there's no need to hold anything back because of the amount of work it might need.

I'm going to change the texture folder from pball_old to joonas with b3. It's probably better that way, and I hope anyone affected by this remembers that this is what having Beta's is for.  :'(
b3 will be done once I get past some minor lightning issues.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »
Can you try the attached files?

Btw. you've already deleted 4 rooms because of errors? What were the errors? Some errors are very easy to avoid without much effort.