Author Topic: Player Movement Physics Tweaks  (Read 15134 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Player Movement Physics Tweaks
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »
I know people tend to freak out about even the slightest changes, so I figured I'd put details of the change out before I actually release it.  Some of the little nuances in the movement physics have always bugged me, and I've tried to make things better in every way.  Here's all the stuff that's changed:

- No more catching steps/bumps while jumping.  You'll always step over them if possible.
- No more bouncing down hills (and inconveniently being in the air when you need to jump).
- Jumpy elevator fixed (visual only).
- Stair stepping should be smoother (visual only).
- Ramp control.  You can move as fast as you want up a ramp and still stop and jump.  You won't glide uncontrollably.  In order to glide up ramps like with the old physics, you must hold your jump button down.
- More consistent double jumps.  Before, different framerates, speed, angle, etc. could inhibit your ability to double jump where you would expect to be able to.  Now you should be able to double jump off of anything you can step onto while jumping.
- Consistent ladder jumping.  This just happened as a side effect of the other changes.  Holding jump as you reach the top of the ladder will always give you a nice boost.

I've attached a couple of demos to demonstrate the changes.

joonas

• VM-68
Re: Player Movement Physics Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
Sounds great! I'll look at the demos later today to give more input, since this is going to affect me quite a bit. But what did the first thing you mentioned mean, exactly? Will it come in the way of anything, like double/triplejumping at high speeds or are there no drawbacks to it? Does it simply make you not get stuck as easily on things that are too low to be doubled from?

What The____?(CheMiCaL)

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
i think the catching bumps and stuff while jumping is the best thing there. it's really annoying. i don't know if i like the fact you can get more air now but i will have to test if first.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:48:59 AM by What The____? »

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
Well as you've already guessed, I have a few doubts about increased jump height from ramps and floating in the sky simply because they change the gameplay rather than being minor bug fixes like the rest of the changes.

Have you tried the new physics on ice maps, like prolandr, tatras, cream or remenissions?

(I'd be happy to beta test :p)

What The____?(CheMiCaL)

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 05:55:42 AM »
i'll beta test too if you want.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »
Does the change to ladders mean that you can no longer do the higher jump version of them? There was the get your waist to the top of the ladder and press up and jump to go a normal height, but there was also the version where you tapped jump rapidly and held up to go much much higher. I hope that wasn't changed by making it more consistent.

With the double jump change, I hope this doesnt change the ability to cj before it for extra height/distance. This might be true if it has to do with speed/angle...

I like the ramp changes since you will still have the ability to do both styles. +1

I don't really like the bouncing down hills change since a lot of maps rely on this for extra speed where the ceiling is too low to strafe effectively. -1

It would be nice to get some of these changes tested on some jump maps to really test out how much it affects you. To make sure certain jump styles arent completely eliminated.

And the whole ability to almost glide along the sky... does this apply to ceiling or just skies?

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Sounds very good. The tweaks are logical and sensible. Hoping it's easy to get used to it quickly. I'm excited :)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »
All tweaks +1 (idk about the boucing down the hill but why not give it a try)
But i dont like that sky gliding idea. It would destroy gameplay on most ice maps
e.g. prolandr: Imagine you need to cap fast because your oponnent is right behind you. So you go from ice to "1.flag HBD" for fast cap. But when you try to jump to HBD you get stucked in sky and oponnent can easily kill you even you would normally cap it.
So please dont add it unless you want to eliminate ice maps ;)

Morphin

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
Sounds very very good. I watched demos few mins ago and i think its very interesting. Old players can learn new jumps on every map and maybe tactic will be changed too. It wont be always the same :D. After i saw how easy u jumped that high on castle1, i loled hard :D

Anyway i think that not everything should get too easy. It wouldnt require much time to learn good jumps and good movement and thats ... (idk how to say^^) and it would be boring when u are able to jump everywhere.
Also i think that this "sky-think" isnt a good idea. Reasons prozajik said... I want a fast game, thats why im playing dp2.
:)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
I don't really like the bouncing down hills change since a lot of maps rely on this for extra speed where the ceiling is too low to strafe effectively. -1
Can you give an example?  Moving down hills without bouncing makes movement so much smoother, consistent, and intuitive that I don't think I'll be taking it out.  It might be possible to do something similar to the ramps where holding jump would give you the old behavior, though, but it's so janky, I'd kind of like to get rid of it completely.

But i dont like that sky gliding idea. It would destroy gameplay on most ice maps
e.g. prolandr: Imagine you need to cap fast because your oponnent is right behind you. So you go from ice to "1.flag HBD" for fast cap. But when you try to jump to HBD you get stucked in sky and oponnent can easily kill you even you would normally cap it.
So please dont add it unless you want to eliminate ice maps ;)
A valid point.  I'll have to take a look at these.  Any other examples?

Morphin

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Can you give an example?  Moving down hills without bouncing makes movement so much smoother, consistent, and intuitive that I don't think

pbcup_pforest ---> switch jump :D

Sporti

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »
Samn opinion with morphin. But still a great work

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
A valid point.  I'll have to take a look at these.  Any other examples?
shz22 speedjump, shz33 speedjump, carpathian caveroof jump, maybe airtime dark high?, pp1 speedjump, napalm ice jump, daylight_b1 ice jump, pbcup_2fort5 high wood jump(idk how to describe)
idk if its all right but i think so :P

As for what morphin said. You are right that jumps will be easier but isnt it waht we want? Aftewr making it easier more new players could come and also it would make the game much faster with this extra air ;)

Can you give an example?  Moving down hills without bouncing makes movement so much smoother, consistent, and intuitive that I don't think I'll be taking it out.  It might be possible to do something similar to the ramps where holding jump would give you the old behavior, though, but it's so janky, I'd kind of like to get rid of it completely.
As morph mentioned pfo switch jump. Hill sliding is some kind of "trick jumping", if you slide the hill right you dont lose any speed but with this tweak you lose all the speed when you release the forward key (if i got it right). Just explaining i dont think its bad idea :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:05:12 PM by prozajik »

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
Can you give an example?  Moving down hills without bouncing makes movement so much smoother, consistent, and intuitive that I don't think I'll be taking it out.  It might be possible to do something similar to the ramps where holding jump would give you the old behavior, though, but it's so janky, I'd kind of like to get rid of it completely.

Eclissi on the middle bridge, if you jump down the slope you lose significant time compared to bouncing. ubrooftop, coming out of the flag area and down the stairs, its faster to bounce than jump. And stairs in general for that matter. It is wayyy faster to bounce any most stairs. With any map with a decent sized downhill like xbmap1 or pgptrain or anything like that, i often dont jump on the downhills so that I can jump at the bottom. It is just not practical to want to fly 10000 feet in the air by jumping off them when going downhill. And like mophin said, pbcup_forest.

It will definitely change the way maps are played by good jumpers. Some people probably wouldn't notice it, but it will definitely annoy anyone that uses the tactic to gain speed. I can see how implementing it to change by holding jump would be sketchy though. It either has to be in or out.

Bundy

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
Sounds Great! :)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:28:20 PM »
Adding few more bugs which i found idk if they are already fixed, just wanted to let you know about them.
005 - happens sometimes. I think its caused by wrong brush?
004 - hmm idk what happened maybe it should be like that?
003 - maybe i just hit the wall not sure

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »
001 - Not sure. Something is blocking me there, if i crouch (only backwards?) from the mid to the wall.
002 - Fixed.
003 - Looks like you hit the wall.
004 - What do you mean? The stop at the end?
005 - Fixed.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 12:04:03 AM »
004 - mb wrong demo, nvm its not a bug like the others

Malware

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
Sounds very good, can't wait for it  :D

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
001 - I think it's just an unfortunate angle of the brush, because it also blocks on the other side (without visuelle issue). Might be fixed already.