Author Topic: Map idea  (Read 2784 times)

Foxhound

• Autococker
Map idea
« on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
Hey I had a sweet map idea!!! and since I tried my hand at BSP editor last year and failed (even with the youtube tutorials) I just wanted to see if someone had spare time to perhaps make a map.

My idea is more or less a race against the other team where each side has 50 placed white flags and a cap area in their base. Perhaps 25 of the flags should be in easier type places to grab nothing too fancy. While some of the flags be on top of like a double jump box or a speed ice tunnel. Mayhaps you could put a flag on top of a double ladder jump.

And I know someone would likely come on this thread and say "what about noobs who cannot perform these harder jumps, it would be an easy win for the other team" well to that i say, for every hard path (such as a ladder jump) make an easy but hellishly long one to accompany it. or perhaps make one of the flags a bonus flag worth 5 points, only obtainable if the person could in fact do an ice speed to a ladder which then they had to double jump the ladder onto a moving platform... yada yada yada.

But any ways, if someone could teach me how to do this sort of thing, or just wants to create a map like this, I would totally enjoy playing it. As long as it looks nice...

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Map idea
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »
Hey I had a sweet map idea!!! and since I tried my hand at BSP editor last year and failed (even with the youtube tutorials) I just wanted to see if someone had spare time to perhaps make a map.

My idea is more or less a race against the other team where each side has 50 placed white flags and a cap area in their base. Perhaps 25 of the flags should be in easier type places to grab nothing too fancy. While some of the flags be on top of like a double jump box or a speed ice tunnel. Mayhaps you could put a flag on top of a double ladder jump.

And I know someone would likely come on this thread and say "what about noobs who cannot perform these harder jumps, it would be an easy win for the other team" well to that i say, for every hard path (such as a ladder jump) make an easy but hellishly long one to accompany it. or perhaps make one of the flags a bonus flag worth 5 points, only obtainable if the person could in fact do an ice speed to a ladder which then they had to double jump the ladder onto a moving platform... yada yada yada.

But any ways, if someone could teach me how to do this sort of thing, or just wants to create a map like this, I would totally enjoy playing it. As long as it looks nice...

I think the obvious flaw in this is that the flags will respawn. So someone could just grab the closest one 50 times. Unless there is a setting?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:02:48 AM »
uhg never thought of that.

jE

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
well you can make it like a jump map with the cap point on the other side...and to get there you have to go through all the map and get all the flags

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:36:21 AM »
well you can make it like a jump map with the cap point on the other side...and to get there you have to go through all the map and get all the flags

Doesn't that just mean you'd need one flag?

jE

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:22:06 AM »
well if you have 50 flags then once you get to the cap point you win the game...or something like that
i was thinking of a map split in to parts...so every team has 50 flags to get as fast as they can to win the game
just a race for flags...no shooting, i think that was the idea

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »
How about a reality type based map? No super jumps, no special moves just like in the real world. The easier you make a game to play the faster you get bored of it. The harder the challenge then the longer you play to try and defeat it. I was thinking on lines of a classic style map from the 80s real style play. You are equipped with a PMI Trracer or a Sheridan PGP, only 12 gram refills and instead of a box for paint, individual tubes with 10 rounds per pickup. That will keep people from "pray and spray" playing and make each shot count. You make this map and being an avid real paintball player I can guarantee it will bring in more new players from the extreme challenge. Remember DP2 is not a new game in the least but to someone that has never played it, it is brand new no matter the graphics. It is worth a try I think.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
well if you have 50 flags then once you get to the cap point you win the game...or something like that
i was thinking of a map split in to parts...so every team has 50 flags to get as fast as they can to win the game
just a race for flags...no shooting, i think that was the idea

I think the obvious flaw in this is that the flags will respawn. So someone could just grab the closest one 50 times. Unless there is a setting?

There's actually no point for the other 49 flags, seeing as you wouldn't need to grab them, rather just run to the end and cap with the last flag...

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
There's actually no point for the other 49 flags, seeing as you wouldn't need to grab them, rather just run to the end and cap with the last flag...

Make them worth 1 point each and cause them to disappear after they have been captured.  Team winning the round by elim grants no points.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »
How about a reality type based map? No super jumps, no special moves just like in the real world. The easier you make a game to play the faster you get bored of it. The harder the challenge then the longer you play to try and defeat it. I was thinking on lines of a classic style map from the 80s real style play. You are equipped with a PMI Trracer or a Sheridan PGP, only 12 gram refills and instead of a box for paint, individual tubes with 10 rounds per pickup. That will keep people from "pray and spray" playing and make each shot count. You make this map and being an avid real paintball player I can guarantee it will bring in more new players from the extreme challenge. Remember DP2 is not a new game in the least but to someone that has never played it, it is brand new no matter the graphics. It is worth a try I think.

plenty of real maps that resemble paintball zones with snakes bunkers and all that have been created... and they are no fun when you can bounce around 150 mph DUH.

Make them worth 1 point each and cause them to disappear after they have been captured.  Team winning the round by elim grants no points.

I didn't know there was an entity which made the flag that was just capped disappear? maybe you could elaborate for the map makers who didn't know this either?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »

There's a setting for that?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »
Hi, i would like to know if/how this can be done ASAP so that i may try to create this type of map for the competition. Thanks

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
Can't be done afaik, the flags would just respawn... And the competition is for deathmatch maps.