Author Topic: Getting more pub players involved in the match scene  (Read 2677 times)

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Getting more pub players involved in the match scene
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:58 AM »
 I was just thinking about how we could get more activity in the match scene and stuff like that, and I realized that a good amount of these public servers that the newer players play in, only spin through the same old pub maps (Shaz33, Airtime 3, mightnight haha..., etc.) over and over.

Here's my bold idea. If possible, I think that if server owners could set certain playlists of maps to change automatically with the number of people playing in the server, we could generate a lot more response in the number of people wanting to get involved in the match scene. Maybe it sounds dumb because I just recently started matching again, but with higher numbers of players in a server, the server owners can run more "match-style" type maps like duck (just discovered this one) and wobluda and soo many more people can get involved.

It would also be beneficial because with servers running higher level maps, it would be useful place for experienced players to generate pick up games between any players in the community.

Just my two cents, but I think it's possible

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Re: Getting more pub players involved in the match scene
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:39:31 AM »
I literally just heard two pub players say to each other, "You kill me in ubcliff".....these are players who need to get involved

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
1.  I don't believe it is possible to change the maplist based on the number of players in the server.

2.  Problem with "advanced" maps is that they always kill the servers.  New players get frustrated, lost and then they quit.
There have been attempts at this in the past (EV1 Classic, OTB Classic)  but they always fail. 

SpeedUSA

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
1. I believe the mapinfo.txt files can be used to set the minimum number of players needed to put a map on the vote list. I'm not interested in trying this on my pub servers, which I want to be as open as possible.

2. I agree with SuperMAn - public servers need maps that players want, or nobody will play. There are plenty of empty public servers with poor/strange map lists.

Speed USA and Speed Europa each have 12 maps. This provides good choice but lets players frequently play a map and gain skill/confidence. Speed server maps need to be straightforward. While ub_abbey is one of my favorites, I won't put it on my speed servers because many players are completely lost. I track how many times each map is played, and occasionally replace the less popular maps. I'll pick popular maps from Public USA/Public Europa, which each have 30 maps and serve as my testing grounds.

The match scene would be helped by providing new players with more info. For example, can you tell me:

1. How do I get into the match scene? Am I invited? Do I need to join a clan? Can I visit a certain match server?

2. What are the popular match maps? Can I download those maps so I can practice?

Thanks!

LongShot

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
     I dont think the "most complex" maps are needed, I've seen large numbers of pub players on maps like carpathian mountains, and tlc is another big one. Even adding in average sized match maps would help like pp1 or wob, or making these more frequent occuring could help the situation out. The main reason I say this is because I've seen too many large number pub games just rapidly die as the map changes to something like midnight, and even pub players get bored of minispeed, maps like that.

I think it would be possible to reach a medium for these new players by giving them more match-based maps, while still not having them be too complicated. Duck certainly isn't complicated to learn. Wobluda might be a little more tricky for newbies but there's gotta be a good number of straight-forward match maps I don't know about.

Not that I disagree with what you two are saying, I go into pubs playing maps like prolandr and I still don't know what's going on in there haha.....but there is a middle point between complicated and match style.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:27:31 PM »
Have you even looked any maplists yet?  The only map that you have mentioned so far that isn't on most servers is duck.
Code: [Select]
airtime3
shock
prolandr
beta/pgptrain_b4
wobluda
shazam33
beta/daylight_b1
propaint1
remenissions
encounter
beta/banliue13_b1
beta/pgptrain_b4
ub_rooftop
airtime
dhemap
eclissi
carpathian

My pub/speed rotation.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I'm not trying to criticize your server, I play on it all the time. I just mean in general, the speed servers, etc. LongShot what about these mapinfo.txt files?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Proud?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:12 PM »
Rick you just made all those nonames and a few of those euros uninstall.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
Rick, CC only start taking applications after 201 kills :/

BUT I'M VERY PROUD!   :D

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »
Dang it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:20:51 AM »
What you've described is effectively the purpose of the mapinfo files.  Typically, the larger/more advanced maps have a higher minplayers, so when the server is full, it will use those maps if they're in rotation.  Of course, none of this matters when the only map in rotation is ub_cliff. :(

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
Getting new people to idle IRC is probably the best way to get them into the matching scene