Author Topic: Help stop SOPA now!  (Read 5821 times)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Help stop SOPA now!
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
Please watch this video

http://youtu.be/WJIuYgIvKsc

PGPSandman

• Stingray
Re: Help stop SOPA now!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »
The only harm SOPA will cause is to legit places like YouTube and Facebook. thepiratebay and other torrent sites are based offshore so not under jurisdiction of the laws set by them. Protocols and DNS blocking and all other "hacker" forms of surfing the web will then become the norm for people just wanting to surf the net. Anonymous will certainly have a hand in causing SOPA more trouble than it coould ever handle when it comes down to it. I am not a supporter of Anonymous but if they do things to help the average joe because of stupid laws like this, I am all for support then.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
thepiratebay and other torrent sites are based offshore so not under jurisdiction of the laws set by them.

Watch the whole video, America sent troops to arrest a person in the UK for copyright. What the person did was legal in the UK.

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:41 PM »
You can only arrest someone in a soverign recognized country whereas OffShore is not a country, abides by no countries laws and is free to do anything it possibly can in its own power. No laws from other countries have rule or power there. It can be a small island, retired oil rig or even an old luxury liner anchored at sea to be free of any countries laws. Some of the countries that are not in agreement with the said laws will support the OffShore people so any act against them can be construed as an act of war and nobody wants that right now. It is a very sensative place the US has not dared to step yet, and possibly wont step.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »
Some of the countries that are not in agreement with the said laws will support the OffShore people so any act against them can be construed as an act of war and nobody wants that right now. It is a very sensative place the US has not dared to step yet, and possibly wont step.

If US is sending troops into the UK for something that is legal in the UK then I wouldn't doubt they would send troops OffShore.

Watch the whole video.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:30:34 AM »
A number of sites are blacking out on Jan 18 in protest.  I'm considering doing the same.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:49:43 AM »
A number of sites are blacking out on Jan 18 in protest.  I'm considering doing the same.
Wikipedia ftw.  Even though I'm not there in the US, kinda feel for you guys, internet will suck.

The only harm SOPA will cause is to legit places like YouTube and Facebook. thepiratebay and other torrent sites are based offshore so not under jurisdiction of the laws set by them. Protocols and DNS blocking and all other "hacker" forms of surfing the web will then become the norm for people just wanting to surf the net. Anonymous will certainly have a hand in causing SOPA more trouble than it coould ever handle when it comes down to it. I am not a supporter of Anonymous but if they do things to help the average joe because of stupid laws like this, I am all for support then.
Yes they're based overseas, means you can't get to them, but others can.  I wonder if tunneling to a server in another country would bypass it?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »

Please... do not take our lifes :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
The government could force ISP's to prevent access to offshore IP's.

http://sopastrike.com/

Please... do not take our lifes :(
It would just be one day...

but it could be every day if SOPA goes through.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »
so what i get out of this vid is that they are going to take over the internet and sue a ton of people for pirating software and stuff? 

my freind was telling me that Anon is going to hack the us government or something like that if this happens. is that true?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:55:36 PM by CheMiCal »

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:10:25 PM »
The government could force ISP's to prevent access to offshore IP's.

Don't know to much about thIs sort of stuff but are you saying that american computers would not be able to connect to any other computer in the world that is offshore.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
is this ONLY americans? will canada be effected by this bullcrap?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
It affects all of the content shared on the Internet through American providers, so it affects a large portion of the Internet for all countries.

Worldstar(nick123)

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
i use limewire Frostwire \:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:15:02 PM by Worldstar »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »

Worldstar(nick123)

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
well i got  frostwire but they do the same

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
It affects all of the content shared on the Internet through American providers, so it affects a large portion of the Internet for all countries.

Well, the EU has the same thing going on. Finlands second biggest ISP already had to block access to piratebay.

I don't understand why anybody would even want to fight piracy, unless it's for money. So I have no ethical problems on beind a pirate myself. Besides the ethical part, those same huge companies have forced (?) such piracy taxes that I think are pure idiocy. Well, there is a tax on VHS/CDs for a long time. Because they assume you are going to put illegal material in there! I don't know if already applied or still in discussion, but the same is for 'modern' multimedia storage devices - ipods, mp3 players, dvd players, so on.

This is all just for money. Huge companies = profit. Of course they claim that piracy is bad and have to fight it. But I don't think huge companies are poor... Just creedy.

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »

my freind was telling me that Anon is going to hack the us government or something like that if this happens. is that true?

They already did something as a start, do you think Iran actually shot down that Spy Drone? I was in the military and those drones pack enough explosives to completely burn up from an explosion when hit. I feel sorry for the group that has the drone over there as if the US gets a signal back to the processor they will blow it up remotely and kill all those trying to examine it.( that is why the president asked nicely ... will you give us back our drone?? They said no so his next uletior motive is to get a signal there and remote detonate it. I hope they succeed) The other drone also a week later that "mysteriosly" crashed right after takeoff, Anon again. SOPA is going to start the first ever Internet war and we all will be involved worldwide. .. .. .. On a side note I don't use Limewire or iTunes I use and will keep using Ares P2P no website to track there it is 100% software driven by each individual computer installed on.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »

Worldstar(nick123)

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »