Author Topic: Need to get some sounds for Digital Paint Ball 2  (Read 3873 times)

afortier

• Stingray
Need to get some sounds for Digital Paint Ball 2
« on: June 12, 2006, 11:42:12 AM »
These homer simpson clips aren't gonna cut it. If this project is going to get the most out of the engine its built on, it better get some good 44khz sounds together. I could do this! I have sound equipment! I have a lot of junk outside to mess with!
Ill record some concept sounds and provide them in OGG and upload them to some HTTP host and post them here, and get criticisiced and tormented for trying to help. :)

shofixti

• Stingray
Re: Need to get some sounds for Digital Paint Ball 2
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 12:01:43 PM »
i herby officaily critizize and torment you for you efforts :P

no really, i think that the clips it has now adds personality to DP2 thats probally just a noobs opinion tho.

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »
On a quality perspective, they are really quite dithered and lack fidelity. I estimate that their arround 22khz if not 11khz (having not examined the origional files) 44khz sounds, raw or OGGed would be a great improvement for the production of the Paintball application of the engine.

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
yes, uping the quality would be fine, just dont mess around with the content.

then again... who am i talk?

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 01:41:09 PM »
We would need to get clean content, possiable 44khz captures of the content, just doing some noise shaping or gauss-filters before upping it to 44khz will not be an inprovement. It would however remove the sharp dither/scratch noise. Some good HQ samples are due for a project of this magnitude. Why have epic graphics and rubish sound effects?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:44:26 PM »
I certainly agree that we need higher quality sounds.  Make them 48khz if you can.  While I do enjoy the goofy sounds the game currently has, they contain copyrighted material and are low quality -- two reasons they need to be replaced.

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:45 AM »
If no one is jumping on this, I'll take it... The only thing is I dont own a paintball gun. I do have Sierra's Paintball Challenge somewhere... but im not going to rip off sounds from them. They are probally 22khz anyway. If someone can do the paint ball guns i can do physics and other sounds.
Does the system support different footsteps?

You really have to look into steering this to some sort of GNU goldsrc engine, materials system, ect.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »
I've actually recorded a bunch of different footstep sounds but haven't gotten around to putting them in the game.  I haven't added per-material sound support yet.

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 04:16:05 AM »
Oh nice, what freq 48khz? and what equipment did you use?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 01:14:29 PM »
I used my laptop and a $100 mic designed for a minidisc recorder (had to get an external amp for the stupid thing to work, too).  All the sounds I've recorded are 16bit 48khz.

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 09:08:23 AM »
Nice, hows vorbis implementation coming? I have done some crazy things with vorbis encoding. Vorbis acm would be easier than vorbis ogg dont you think? Ill look arround for some ways to get vorbis into quake 2, and then we can try to get them into PB2.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 12:03:29 AM »
i herby officaily critizize and torment you for you efforts :P

no really, i think that the clips it has now adds personality to DP2 thats probally just a noobs opinion tho.
i deleted all those stupid sounds and left in footsteps and weapons to me it makes the game easier to play when i dont have blaring annyoing sounds blasting through my speakers

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 06:03:57 PM »
I think that the sounds make the game what it is, but some of them are way louder than the others, and cover up footsteps, there should be an option to disable all but footsteps and weapons, without having to mute it all. As for ogg vorbis, I love .ogg, do it! In my experiences, .ogg at the same bitrate as .mp3 for ripping CDs, .ogg always comes out better on my headphones, even though they sound the same on my crummy real speakers, and the .ogg files are always smaller then the mp3's too.

Also I'd like to request the quake 3 "killing spree" sounds and all that be used, almost every game I play there are servers running mods that use the quake 3 sounds, because they rock.

As long as none of those horrible wanna be rappers on the forums make sound files, I'm down.

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 06:09:34 AM »
im in the mood to do some replacement voice overs...