Author Topic: Suggestions for what to use for a dedicated server.... hosting/vps/whatever else  (Read 3948 times)

Ace

• Autococker
I've been wanting to do this for a while and since I have recently ran into some funds, I was wondering what the most effective/cheapest way to do this would be.

I already have hosting, but I am just not sure of the steps to setting up a nice dedicated server and want to make sure I do it the right way.

SpeedUSA

• PGP
I'm running servers on Linux VPSes. You need root access - a hosting service will not work. The requirements for a Paintball2 server are low: 128MB RAM is plenty. A popular server uses about 100GB/month of bandwidth. Check out http://www.lowendbox.com for cheap VPS deals. You need to know about Linux. Visit http://library.linode.com for info on setting up a VPS.

LongShot
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:32:05 AM by SpeedUSA »

Ace

• Autococker
I have root access on my linux hosting that I have right now. Would I simply need to upload the files I need to that? There really isn't a guide for this on here.

UnRateD

• Autococker
Im not entirely sure how my VPS was set up, Superman was kind of enough to pretty much do it for me, but I(he) used a software called Putty to input some crazy scripts which set up the servers, then upload the linux version of DP2 along with a link to maps and also upload textures. Afer that, he uploaded some scripts which we ran in the server screen and voila..pubs and match servers.

Ace

• Autococker
Hmm, I'll have to look into putty and play around a bit with what I have already and see if I can get this thing to work. It's kind of odd that there isn't a guide for this...

SpeedUSA

• PGP
It ain't easy. A lot of Linux is required to run it well. Here are the basic steps for a Debian server:

1. Buy a Linux VPS.
2. Install PuTTY, a Secure Shell (SSH) client, on your Windows PC.
3. Access the VPS using PuTTY. You are at the Linux command line on your VPS.
3. Set up a new "paintball" account on the VPS with "adduser" and log into the account with "login".
4. Download the compressed DP2 Linux file from the DP web site using the "wget" command.
5. Decompress the file into /home/paintball using the "tar" command.
6. Edit the DP2 configuration files with your server info, maplist, etc. using the "vi" or "vim" or "nano" editor.
7. Start the server at the Linux command prompt. Be sure to include the 8-10 variables needed to get up and running. Also, use either the "screen" program or "nohup" command to make the program persistent, or it will end when you close the SSH connection.

You will need to research how to use each command. Typing the command followed by "--help" will produce a list of command variables. Type "man" and the command to display a more complete manual page. You can also Google manual pages.

Then there are issues of security, crashes/reboots, uptime monitoring, poor performance, unreasonable players, speed hackers, forum flamers....

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Just buy a server off Superman ;) 50c per slot every month. You also get Superman's knowledge and help.

Foxhound

• Autococker
im sure after what unrated did to that guy, super would kill himself (no offense ace) if another person were to tag along with him. The again he's very nice and im sure he would try to help you.

Ace

• Autococker
It ain't easy. A lot of Linux is required to run it well. Here are the basic steps for a Debian server:

1. Buy a Linux VPS.
2. Install PuTTY, a Secure Shell (SSH) client, on your Windows PC.
3. Access the VPS using PuTTY. You are at the Linux command line on your VPS.
3. Set up a new "paintball" account on the VPS with "adduser" and log into the account with "login".
4. Download the compressed DP2 Linux file from the DP web site using the "wget" command.
5. Decompress the file into /home/paintball using the "tar" command.
6. Edit the DP2 configuration files with your server info, maplist, etc. using the "vi" or "vim" or "nano" editor.
7. Start the server at the Linux command prompt. Be sure to include the 8-10 variables needed to get up and running. Also, use either the "screen" program or "nohup" command to make the program persistent, or it will end when you close the SSH connection.

You will need to research how to use each command. Typing the command followed by "--help" will produce a list of command variables. Type "man" and the command to display a more complete manual page. You can also Google manual pages.

Then there are issues of security, crashes/reboots, uptime monitoring, poor performance, unreasonable players, speed hackers, forum flamers....

This was beyond helpful. I am somewhat familiar with linux commands so at least that part should be slightly easier.

Just buy a server off Superman ;) 50c per slot every month. You also get Superman's knowledge and help.
im sure after what unrated did to that guy, super would kill himself (no offense ace) if another person were to tag along with him. The again he's very nice and im sure he would try to help you.

I did see this, but I guess I would rather have it completely on my own than have to go through him. I know he would be helpful and everything but it would forever be a chain... Me to Super to VPS... and it would just complicate things if I did this long term at all.

UnRateD

• Autococker
Nah, after he shows you how its done it becomes you to VPS, hes incredible at showing the ropes.

But hes my VPS mentor atm, find someone else biech.
Super did show me some really helpful vids :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHwYVxjZgxY&feature=plcp&context=C3cb2989UDOEgsToPDskJVgBVWEihyIIcyIiT5w4MK

parts 1-6 (i cant find 1 so it might just be 2-6) that sets up your vps, but then you gota do some additional things for paintball servers.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
PM me on IRC if you need some help.  The "VPS Bible" that Unrated posted above is really the best guide for setting up a VPS I've ever seen though.  Used to be free, but he charges for the written copy now.

Ace

• Autococker
PM me on IRC if you need some help.  The "VPS Bible" that Unrated posted above is really the best guide for setting up a VPS I've ever seen though.  Used to be free, but he charges for the written copy now.

Those videos really do seem to cover the majority of what I would not be 100% on what to do. The only thing that I may not be sure of is exactly what files to add for PB, so I may post in here in the future when I am to that point, until then, thanks everyone.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Maybe I will write out a step by step guide for setting up a vps for paintball2 servers.  Seems like more and more people are interested in running them these days. 

Ace

• Autococker
Maybe I will write out a step by step guide for setting up a vps for paintball2 servers.  Seems like more and more people are interested in running them these days. 

There really isn't another effective way to do it other than a vps, a guide would be a great addition to the site.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
I was about to start, but to be honest I'm not sure how much help it would be unless I did one mega one that covers commands for each distro.

UnRateD

• Autococker
I was about to start, but to be honest I'm not sure how much help it would be unless I did one mega one that covers commands for each distro.

If you were to do one, the only tricky bit would be the part where you did all the crazy script inputs, so if you do decide to do one, maybe do a video starting from scratch?

Ace

• Autococker
People can look through the man or help command in order to figure out some things, but I think even a minimal guide that covered the absolute bare minimum to get a server started would be nice.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Most VPS options these days come with Ubuntu, and it seems to be the more user friendly system out there.  Its just a matter of simple termnal knowledge (cd, wget, tar, nano, etc) to enable people to get and setup pball, and how to use screen, not much else.  Theres probably a way to write a script that people can modify to start multiple servers in screen.  I believe Terrorist had a way, can't remember though.  The worst part is ordering a VPS imo.  Great part is installing squid and streaming tv through the proxy :)

CheMiCal

• Autococker
Chicago.