Author Topic: New Map: Arctic Circle DM  (Read 2174 times)

Ace

• Autococker
New Map: Arctic Circle DM
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:59:07 PM »
I was planning on putting this out for the contest that was going on a little while ago, but I kind of forget to post it :D

The map is pretty simple, a large circle with an upper and lower levels. The center has a large pillar sort of thing that has all the jumps needed to get to the top of the map. It creates a place to constrict the DM players. Players spawn with medium level weapons with the chance to pick up an autococker at one of the highest platforms that you have to strafe decently to get to.

Don't expect too much out of this as it was made very quickly for the DM contest, so if anyone has any suggestions or thinks I should make it into a larger map let me know.

Oh, I included the textures I used from the ctp1 pack, even though you probably already have them.

Beta 1: http://hulkshare.com/faeroug8mo97

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: Arctic Circle DM
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
Looks kind of cool, but the lighting is so blue that I think some players will have an advantage/disadvantage based on what team they're on.  If you play in TDM mode, you won't be able to tell certain colors apart.  Maybe keep the blue tone, but make it less saturated, and try to make some more interesting looking light sources.

I've uploaded it to the beta server and played it a bit.  It's actually more fun than I expected, but almost impossible to identify colors.

The doorway details need clip brushes so you don't get hung up on them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:13:34 PM by jitspoe »

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
Looks kind of cool, but the lighting is so blue that I think some players will have an advantage/disadvantage based on what team they're on.  If you play in TDM mode, you won't be able to tell certain colors apart.  Maybe keep the blue tone, but make it less saturated, and try to make some more interesting looking light sources.
I've uploaded it to the beta server.

I meant to have it up for the contest, so I rushed the lighting a bit, I'll redo the lighting fixtures and saturation for beta 2, and I realized the doorways need some clip brushes while I was playing it too...

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
Kind of unique map. Nice to see that the competition motivates new mappers to release a map.

I'd avoid gamemodes in map names. In my opinion they make it just long and complicated for nothing. But it's your choice. Not a big deal.

I don't really like the blue lighting, because it's very tiring for the eyes.

Unfortunately the r_speeds are a bit high because the map is very big and has lots of sides. Not sure how it impacts if there're more players. Make sure to create smaller maps if you try a CTF map in the future.

You might want to add some more stuff or ramps at the edges of the map, that it isn't that empty. I'm pretty sure new players won't be able to get high. Maybe you could do something for this, too.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
I don't really like the blue lighting, because it's very tiring for the eyes.

I planned on toning it down for beta two and adding some better looking light fixtures with whiter light.

Unfortunately the r_speeds are a bit high because the map is very big and has lots of sides. Not sure how it impacts if there're more players.

Well I am not the greatest with reducing r_speeds, especially since this is such a large open space and it would change the idea of the map if it wasn't so. I've been playing with hint brushes a bit and it seems to reduce it some, but they are still high. Unless people are running machines from 98, it shouldn't be a problem for most.

You might want to add some more stuff or ramps at the edges of the map, that it isn't that empty. I'm pretty sure new players won't be able to get high. Maybe you could do something for this, too.

I was considering adding some other way to get up top, possibly some grav platforms or something like that.

Basically, I just haven't had time to play much or update the map at all... exams are awful. I'll post a beta 2 that gets at all these issues at some point.

Thanks,
Ace