Author Topic: Revenue Options: Installer & Browser Toolbar  (Read 8155 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Revenue Options: Installer & Browser Toolbar
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:46:17 PM »
Somebody has contacted me offering some options for mutual revenue.  I told him I'd run it by the community (that's you) before implementing anything like this, so here we are.

At first he suggested a browser button that lets you monetize on searches.  He gave this as an example: http://www.facebook.com/FaceSmooch .  I'm not really sure how that would work with Paintball2.  The only thing I can think of is maybe some kind interface to the server list..?  I personally don't use those kinds of things, to be honest.  Maybe somebody could come up with a practical use that would make it worth installing.

The second suggestion was something called "Better Installer".  This link has some info and a video: http://betterinstaller.com/ .  He said DVDStyler is another open source project that uses it.  I haven't had time to check it out yet.  Basically, it offers the option to install some other software when you run the installer, and we'd get paid when people choose to install it.

Thoughts?

Haze

• VM-68
Re: Revenue Options: Installer & Browser Toolbar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »
Basically, it offers the option to install some other software when you run the installer, and we'd get paid when people choose to install it.

Thoughts?

who's we? and does that make the game free still?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:21:45 AM »
who's we? and does that make the game free still?
Myself and the company that runs the installer service.  The game would still be free, and this could help it stay free in the future, as money made from this would help cover the costs of the servers and other things that I pay out of my own pocket.  I've spent thousands of dollars at this point.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:33:29 AM »
i think anything could help and this is a great start. DO IT.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »
As long as BetterInstaller is legit (no malware, and the possibility to decline the installation of the added software) I think it's a great idea. If they pay high enough to cover the server costs, great. And if you get even more, maybe you can get some higher poly gun models done on commission while you roll around in your pile of e-dollars? :)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »
At work so I can't check out the facebook link.   

BetterInstaller looks like a great way for you to cover some costs.   

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:55 AM »
I don't see that "install these extras" scam generating much income.
If you had thousands of people installing every day, maybe.

Personally I despise developers that try to scam me into installing some toolbar by having the option already selected and leaving it up to me to click to NOT install these things.

Jitspoe, I agree that you've shelled out a lot of money for this game, but is it realistic to expect to generate anything worthwhile?

As far as generating enough to contract the creation of new weapon models...
There was, not sure anymore, enough talent in the community to get this done. I offered to redo all the models for free, but never got the nod. I certainly wasn't going to create them on the chance they "might" be used. That's a lot of work. Moot point though, I haven't modeled or textured in years.

Good luck!

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
I don't understand the first thing. The facebook page has only a few images, what should be special there?

I can't believe that you can get much money with the installer. Why should somebody install software xyz while installing the game? I saw it in a few installers, but i don't like it.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
I don't understand the first thing. The facebook page has only a few images, what should be special there?

I can't believe that you can get much money with the installer. Why should somebody install software xyz while installing the game? I saw it in a few installers, but i don't like it.

didn't understand a lot of it either, but I suppose it's some freeware you're getting with the installment

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »
From my understanding, you have a browser plugin that has some functionality (in that case, it's smiley faces for facebook) and a search bar, and when people search with it, you get revenue from ads.

As for the installer, they claim you can get like $1000-$2000 a month.  He has a trial thing set up for me, so I could set up a separate installer just to see what it's like.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
Go for it, if it doesnt work out, you can always stop it later. May as well try it.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »
Jits, we will click it and use the search for you like 1000 times so you get a excrement ton of money.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
"Access to the web page was blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content."

I couldn't check out better installer :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
"Access to the web page was blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content."

I couldn't check out better installer :(
Hm, that doesn't sound good.

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
Better at least try it. You'll get nothing if you don't try anyway...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
I haven't had a chance to integrate it with the current installer, but here's how it would work with the download manager:

http://downloadcdn.betterinstaller.com/installers/a/9/DigitalPaintPaintball2_downloader_by_DigitalPaintPaintball2.exe

I asked about the virus issue, and he said he's in contact with ESET regarding the issue.  Apparently it also has false positive issues with parts of download.com as well.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
Can it detect if the game is installed and download the update instead of the full install automatically?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
I'm not sure.  I haven't had a chance to actually do anything with it.  I'm super busy at work now.  Can't even keep up with email/forums/pms.

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »
If I was going to significantly monetize paintball, I'd take the existing GLS and implement purchasable in-game perks.  Ideally the kinds that don't alter gameplay.  Get people to give you $5 for some extra content instead of $0.10 for converting on an adware install, $0.05 which goes to you.  That sort of thing.  Just a standard freemium model -- works for plenty of other games.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »
And if you really want to screw us over, make DPoints which like 5$ gets you 1300 DPoints and to put your name on your jersey costs 1400 so people are forced to buy more and THEN they have more left over after buying the name on the jersey and not enough for anything else, which forces us to have to buy MORE because people think "well I already have some in my account soo why not get more?"

This is how games today work. meddling annoying