Author Topic: Newmap : NoWay  (Read 4893 times)

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
Newmap : NoWay
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
Ok, so here is my first map
And some info:

Gamemode: CTF
Max players: 8

Hope you like

OK, Beta 2 is out
Changelog:
Removed some barrels
Now supports 1-flag
Changed the height of walls
and made some texture alignment fixes

Beta 3 is out
Changelog:
Changed mid area textures
Changed _sun_angle
Modified BD

Beta 4
Changelog:
Fixed all the bugs what Chef-Killer pointed out

dplogin.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=epbc22nj82r00stjdntdnk7n05&action=dlattach;topic=24738.0;attach=9253
Don't forgot to write feedback
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:22:36 AM by 3lf »

prozajik

• Autococker
Re: Newmap : NoWay
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Max players: 16
What? :D i cant imagine 16 players there but ok :P

Feedback:I have to admit that the idea is pretty good. I rly like the ways there and how is the map made. The mapping style is not so good but what else we can expect from the first map ;).
The biggest problem i see there is that BD is too easily linable. Also i would change the texture for mid-ramp cause you cant find wood stacked like this :D maybe put there metal or sth like that.
Also fix the _sun_angle i dont think it has right value but i am sure chef is gonna post here about it and more stuff.
All in all as a first map not bad, not bad at all. I can even imagine this map getting played on 2vs2 if you make some slight changes there.

Keep up the good work, with some practice i believe you are gonna make rly nice maps ;)

PS:Few suggestions in my demo

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:54:26 AM »
Thanks for your feedback Proza, but I don't agree with you about the window... :D and sun_angle should be right I copied it  somewhere
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:32:14 AM by 3lf »

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:35:41 PM »
Just a little detail, in the first picture you got mid flag but in the third you dont :P.
I thought that the window might help prevetn camping, but your map, your decision :P.

sun_angle should be right I copied it  somewhere
Its not about whats right its about what looks nice on your map ;) i think you should play with it a little bit (change also _sun_light _sun_diffuse etc)  and see which setting you like the most. BTW use "Fast vis rad" for checking how the _sun_.... changes looks in your map.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
I need help! I can't decide which one to make. It will be in next release
It's obvious that the original BD is useless this would change it but which one...,...

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:31:19 AM by 3lf »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »
Can you please upload beta 1 as well? Can't have a look at prozajik's demo.

I'll post feedback and upload the map to our beta server soon.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
sure, here you go.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 04:31:33 AM »
Looks pretty good for your first map.

Nice to see that you tried to align all textures and added clip brushes now. Only the same rock texture everywhere might be a bit boring.

You can delete all barrel items, because players already spawn with steel barrels :)

Some screenshots:

Red: Move the texture down a little bit, that the planks aren't splitted.

Red: Looks like there's a wrong texture. I think that should be the rock texture there.

Red: I'd add two more clip brushes here.
Green: Move this texture a little bit to the left, that the texture (with this points) isn't splitted.

Red: Move the texture down to the ground, that it fits with the original one. You can have a look at the small black line between the first and the second ring. This should be on the ground.
Green: Hm...I don't know if you know that a brush can have different textures, so there's no need for an additional brush with the top/bottom texture. Choose you texture, press CTRL+SHIFT and right click in the 3D view the face you want to have with this texture. That's all. You could do the same with some gras textures.

Red: There's a small space between the light and the ceiling. It's almost the same on the other side.

Red/Green: This looks very improperly. Move the texture faces, that the dark faces fit with the dark faces and the bright faces fit with the bright faces.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta Server!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
Well, I didn't think this map was going to be much, but it actually played pretty well.  It's very simple and straightforward, yet there are enough paths to keep it interesting.

The biggest issue would be the small base/spawn area.  It's a bit claustrophobic and too easy to defend when people can sit in the corner near the flag.  I'd suggest opening that up.  I've attached a demo with more specifics and other things that would be good to fix.

Edit: One thing I forgot to add in the demo.  Players spawn with equipment, yet there's a ton of CO2, ammo and such lying around.  You could get rid of most of that.  It just adds unnecessary network bandwidth because it's pretty unlikely that people are going to run out.  One CO2 and ammo box per base should be sufficient.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
beta 5 is almost done

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
Nice :)

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
Aww! Faced a problem. R_speeds went over 3k at some points of the map

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
Have you used "detail" on some of you brushes? I.E. Boxes barrels etc.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 07:05:28 PM »
Detail doesn't reduce the r_speeds, it just makes VIS compilation faster.  To reduce r_speeds, you either have to have fewer brushes/brush faces or make sure the visibility to areas is properly blocked so occluded areas don't render.  Nice to see mappers that actually care about the r_speeds. :)