Author Topic: Tournament Idea Maybe??  (Read 4738 times)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Tournament Idea Maybe??
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking about hosting a tournament/league to celebrate when www.SupermansPub.com reaches 10 000 hits, which will probably be in a few months.
I wonder if there would be any interest for a tournament/league with the following format:

• 3v3
  • You sign up as an individual
  • All individuals who signed up are placed into the player pool
  • Each week you will be teamed up with different players from the player pool.
  • You will have one match per week which can be completed at any time during the week
  • You are individually awarded points based on match performance (win/loss/(mvp gets bonus points maybe?))
  • If due to scheduling conflict the match cannot be played no points will be awarded
  • The length of the league will be determined by the number of players in the pool.  The idea is to have everyone play with and against everyone else.
  • Top 3 players at the end will be rewarded.
  • This would be an international tournament.  The server used for the games will be determined by the pings/locations of the players for each individual game. (for example:  If one match has 4 Euros and 2 Americans the game will be played on Euro servers.)  Open to suggestions for what happens when the teams are evenly split (3 Euro, 3 American).
  • Maps will be decided by a map pool and "black balling" (teams take turns eliminating maps they do not want to play)

I understand there will be a possibility for scheduling problems.  I don't think it would be a major issue if there is enough interest though.  This has the potential to be a fairly long event.  All of the scheduling will be done prior to the first matches being played.  So there would be a cut-off date for sign-ups.

Let me know your opinion!  If anyone is interested in taking part please say so =)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Tournament Idea Maybe??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
It's a cool idea, but I'm not sure how individuals would get match performance bonus'. Is this based off KDR/GC ? Or just W/L? If it's just W/L then I'd assume there would be a lot of people with equal amounts of points by the end.

I'd recommend doing this before it reaches 10 000 hits (unless it reaches it earlier then expected) - and try to have it in a monthish. As the history of DP shows, the activity drops off a lot when the schoolyear starts, so it'd probably gain the most interest over the summer. (Also makes the NA/EU timezones less of a problem with more flexibility from both sides).

I personally don't like this idea, since I prefer team vs team. I was never really interested in random teammates. But since I've popped back into the community recently, it seems there's wayyyyyyyy more ringers/pugs etc.. then there used to be, so I'm sure the community would support this idea. This might give more people a chance at winning, too.

I do think scheduling will be a problem. With teams - it's 1 team captain trying to get their team to be online for a time. With individuals it's less organized. Not sure how to make it more organized. And for the 3Eu/3NA in a match, I'd say each week the "home server" (if that event arises) is determined before, and it switches each week.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:36:24 AM »
I was thinking one possible way to calculate the MVP for the match is by highest K/D but modified a bit.  Every grab would be counted as 1 frag, every cap as 3.  If there is a tie the MVP points would be split.  Leaderboards would have a seperate column showing the number of times each player was the match MVP (and how many points they have received for it).
The scores will be close, but since you play vs everyone and MVP points are awarded there should be a clear 1st 2nd 3rd place at the end.

Probably a good idea to do it during the summer, but I am starting a bit late,  we will see how much interest there is.

Scheduling will probably be the worst part,  I expect there to be a few matches that wont be played.  Let's say the thing goes for 10 weeks if you miss one or two matches it shouldn't be a big deal.   Could be a major problem if people are consistently not showing up though.

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
From a common point of view leagues and tournaments are always used as a way to measure the participant's skill in comparison to the whole field of players.
Having a tournament with changing, random teams kinda takes that away.On the one hand  the team format creates an illusion where the players think team-play is the important aspect of the tournament while on the other hand the randomess of the tournament sets the focus on the individual player.
From a players point of view, such a tournament may be fun to play, but it lacks 'skill identification' (which, wether you admit it or not, all of us want).

I like the idea of a tournament, but I'd also like the winners to really feel like they accomplished something. Keeping random teams would make the whole thing into a giant pickup

Morphin

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
I'm the same opinion as Time2Chill is.
When you are able to win the tourney just through the best K/D, then there wouldn't`t be any team play or tactic.
After the slogan "Only Kills count". I think that can be really frustrating for not so good players, or players in a team with aimers ;) :D
but I'd also like the winners to really feel like they accomplished something.
Word!

I also would  like to see that tournament earlier.
Such tournaments are also good for the activity in the game. I like to see somebody thinking about that.
peace.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:52 AM »
When you think about it this is the ultimate way of "skill identification".  Everyone plays against the same opponents.  I shouldn't have used the word random, because it will not be random.  
I will try go give an example

What is a better measure of skill?

Player A vs Player B?

or

Player A vs Player C
Player B vs Player C

You need a common denominator to compare.

You can't win tourney based just on your K/D.  You must also win the match to get points.  If your team play is poor you will not win even if you have many kills.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
You can't win tourney based just on your K/D.  You must also win the match to get points.  If your team play is poor you will not win even if you have many kills.

See that's where your wrong. The skill gap is big enough that you can win a tourney just on your KDR. Teams should be rewarded for the win (if there's a prize) - not individual players. And everyone would have a good idea going into the tournament which players would likely win that. It'd be better to promote more teamwork rather than a pug.

It'd be kind of cool to have something where everyone signs up, then you or whoever makes 'x' number of teams (based off how many people signed up) - and when they make the teams, they try to keep the teams even as possible. So for the tournament, you play with the same team each game, and there's no team that's going to guarantee a win. This allows for a team captain to try to get their team to be online for games, and makes it so you only have to communicate with 1 person on each team, instead of everyone. This gets less-talented players to play with better player, which makes them also learn some stuff during the tournament. Keeps the competitive atmosphere, while helping the community.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »
See that's where your wrong. The skill gap is big enough that you can win a tourney just on your KDR.

You wont get bonus points for better K/D.  You get points: A. If your team wins.    B.  If you are match MVP on winning team.

If you win every game and get the best K/D every time you deserve to get 1st place because you outperformed every other player.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
sounds good to me.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »
soo is this a 1v1 or a team based?

if its a team based i say get a list of players who are willing to participate in this tournament and put the teams as random, just to make it fair.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »

if its a team based i say get a list of players who are willing to participate in this tournament and put the teams as random, just to make it fair.

Why don't you just read the very first post of the topic? Everything is explained in detail.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
I have other idea on 'skill measurement'.

What about system that would set teams based on their 'points' in system? It would look like:
1.On beginning system set teams randomly
2.Based on points at end of map, it determine if it was 'too easy' for one team, and then give them points, deceasing points of team that lost. More balanced points at the end of map were, less points you lose/gain (it would also base on difference of players points in system)
3.After getting some knowledge about each player skill, it would set up harder players against harder, and easier against easier.
I think basing on that we can get not that bad skill measurement system.
What do you think about it?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »

From a players point of view, such a tournament may be fun to play, but it lacks 'skill identification' (which, wether you admit it or not, all of us want).

False, if u get MVP multiple times on multiple teams and multiple servers.. I would say that's skill identification

Question: so from what I gather if you can't participate in a match, that's fine because its based off players handy? which would be nice because it wouldn't be cancelled due to lack of interest plus the players who show up still get points

Delete toxiics post, and his forum account on the grounds that he's banned and can't play.

Hey payl, do something useful, and use PAC in the league and make it detect if Toxiic uses a multi

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
rather have a team then randoms.

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
When you think about it this is the ultimate way of "skill identification".  Everyone plays against the same opponents.  I shouldn't have used the word random, because it will not be random. 
I will try go give an example

What is a better measure of skill?

Player A vs Player B?

or

Player A vs Player C
Player B vs Player C

You need a common denominator to compare.

My main concern is based on the believe that the individual skill of a player correlates with the team performance thus manipulating the outcome for the individual.
 Player A may be a great player, but as long as B and C suck so bad that A is often left in 3vs1 or 2vs1 situations, there's almost no chance that he really deserves what he gets (his standing) by the end of the tournament/season.

This problem occurs naturally in team based fps, but having set teams helps a little.
Personally, I like Myers idea. Form equal teams out of a given player pool. Try to mix up different locations (server wise) into it aswell. Maybe check out some replays of matches to get a good estimation of a player's skill level.

Hard work to go through, I agree. Unfortunately but prolly it's going to fail somewhere mid season. Dp showed in the past, that almsot nobody is willing to play a whole season without much trouble

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
Who cares it's for fun. i say make it random teams do something new.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »
do your original idea. if myers, chill, and morphin want something different, they can host their own tournament...

or

just try both of them out. we don't only have to do one tournament this year

Who cares it's for fun. i say make it random teams do something new.
^^

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
Why don't you just read the very first post of the topic? Everything is explained in detail.
:O, if you want to delete my post then its ok, chemical, if you do teams, then it wont be fun for other teams for example team for the american servers : myer(z)[(s)/shk/chemical, i mean thats too easy of a tournament right? if you really wanna see how good you guys are, thats what a tournament, then try playing with different players and different teams.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »

My main concern is based on the believe that the individual skill of a player correlates with the team performance thus manipulating the outcome for the individual.
 Player A may be a great player, but as long as B and C suck so bad that A is often left in 3vs1 or 2vs1 situations, there's almost no chance that he really deserves what he gets (his standing) by the end of the tournament/season.

This problem occurs naturally in team based fps, but having set teams helps a little.

You are right this will happen.  The point is that it will happen to everyone!! Thus making it fair?  The player who performs better in this situation will likely be rewarded for it with points for the victory or MVP.

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
Well then, I wish you good luck for the tournament. Since I haven't found my will to play this game longer than a week, I wouldn't participate as a player anyways. If you need anybody to do some little work for you (as long as it's no coding lol), I'll help gladly