Author Topic: Anti-cheap sugestion for next build  (Read 4258 times)

Wolke

• PGP
Anti-cheap sugestion for next build
« on: June 20, 2006, 11:53:32 AM »
Stop the spawn killing! Or, at least reduce it!
There are two ways that come to mind to stop this:
(a) Create a state of transperency that lasts 4 or so seconds during which you are unkillable right after you spawn. (you cannot fire eaither, but you can get to safety)
(b) Create a 7 or so second state which happens after you spawn during which you are worth no kill points, aka an "Honorless Targer" state. The exception to the seven seconds is when the target exits the base, say he spawns, gets gear, and exits base, then he becomes a true enemy, and is thus worth points.

Why? Because purpousfull spawn killing detracs from the game and makes it less fun and less playable. Spawn killing is not a strategy, but a way to get a cheap kill once in a while, and is not deservent of any honor 95% of the time.
When is it acceptable? The only time when spawn killing is acceptable as a strategy is when you have the flag, and you are running away from base to cap it, and some1 spawns behind you, thus you need to kill them.  Thus, if he had a chance to hide from you and wait out his time untill you disappear, but he chose to us the 4 seconds he had to run after you, it was his choice, and is not cheap spawnkilling.

So, there, those are my suggestions to make the game more fun!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Anti-cheap sugestion for next build
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:21:03 PM »
This is why I prefer the flagcapendsround setting.  It's a lot less susceptible to spawn killing.  The "classic" settings generally lead to one person grabbing the flag, and the entire rest of the team sitting in the enemy base waiting for the flag to be returned so they can do another flag run.  Spawn killing is just a side effect of that.

Wolke

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:06:42 PM »
Excpet for when people DON'T go for flag, but sit in base killing for points.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 03:30:02 PM »
Does that happen much?  I don't think I've seen people so concerned with their personal score that they spend all their time spawn camping.  If that's the case, b would be the better solution.  What server was this on?  Did it have a really low respawn time or something?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 07:40:45 PM »
most servers have the 60 sec spawn time but theres one i remember thats still up that has a 30 sec spawn thats where alot of spawn killing happens

Wolke

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:03 PM »
Well, once it happened on the server with 15sec spawn time, and the other time it of on the general EV1 server..

Wolke

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:50:42 PM »
Only happened twice to me where they sk'ed for score, but it pissed the hell of me!

[Just pointing out that it's not a major problem, but is something you should eventually get arround to doing, so the times people try to be cheap are less annoying]

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:14:11 PM »
I think that spawnkilling is fine as long as its not nadespray. In games like Enemy Territory most servers allow spawnkilling other than heavy weapons, which in dpball would be nades.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 12:28:56 AM »
heh i remeber something real sad from a long time ago.
map-2fort5
spawn time-  10 sec
2 noobs camping spawn

i picked off both before they even knew i spawned ^^ just a funny story on how lazy spawn campers get

Wolke

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 07:44:49 AM »
Happened again! Except, this time it was on a server with 5 sec respawn, and a golf ball in the center. Map was ArenaBall, I got killed 7 times, then, while killer was reloading, i killed him and fried, scores, next round, spawnkilling started again, and I gave up and left..

pinobot

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
The point of this game is to get the enemies flag and protect your own. Camping and spawnkilling is just good strategy, that's why people do it in the first place.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 10:30:40 AM »
Happened again! Except, this time it was on a server with 5 sec respawn, and a golf ball in the center. Map was ArenaBall, I got killed 7 times, then, while killer was reloading, i killed him and fried, scores, next round, spawnkilling started again, and I gave up and left..
That game mode is called "Pong" and kills are not counted there. The main goal is to score goals, not to kill anyone.
Newbies like to kill people playing "Pong" instead of trying to score goals... But that will be fixed in on of the following builds.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 10:52:58 AM »
I own at Arenaball pong, i get like over 200 kills until everyone leaves :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 12:55:22 PM »
No, you're just being annoying.  The point is to get the ball in the goal, not kill people.  Your team doesn't get any points for killing people.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »
Same what I wrote... You are not reading what other users have written! Shame on you, jitspoe!!! ;D

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 02:22:06 PM »
I don't like the idea of anti-cheap protection.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 08:39:47 PM »

People like this is why pong games don't reach their potential

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »

People like this are the reason we need Grammar _____s.
Your hint is that it is four letters long.

Wolke

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »

People like this are the reason we need Grammar _____s.
Your hint is that it is four letters long.
  I'm guessing you one of the people he is refering to?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 10:09:43 AM »
I don't join servers playing pong, I just don't like the gametype, I'm down with jumping, ctf, dm, king of the hill, and all that other stuff, but pong bores me.