Author Topic: map: just to help me with mapping.  (Read 4446 times)

deadfroggy

• Autococker
map: just to help me with mapping.
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:56:58 AM »
Im making a map atm in my spare time since jitspoe,chef_killer, t3rro1st and whoever else take forever to reply to my other ones but, This is What it looks like so far.

Uploaded the bsp file if you just want to check it out so far.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:47:17 PM by deadfroggy »

gonass

• 68 Carbine
Re: NEWMAP: IDK yet.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
I like that it has 2 flags and is bigger, but its pretty barren.  There's literally nothing but a few barrels and some giant hay stacks.  Also, you need more routes and different ways to the flags.

What makes 2 flag maps good is not being able to camp one flag and watch the other at the same time.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
yeah im still working on it. theres going to probably be maybe 4 ways to the flags. :D

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:11 AM »
ok there is more then one way to get flag now and stuff. extra stuff added :). I only done the test compile(The final compile will take a whole day.b2 is up :D

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:22 AM »
Can you stop pooping out terrible maps! Spend some time and make them better!!

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:45:44 PM »
Don't be so hard on him.  He's learning.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »
i am spending time to make them better. Im sorry. Yes yes im learning

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »
Before i released my first map, i also made many not so good maps, partly simply unplayable. But u can only get better in mapping by getting more experience in mapping stuff-> creating new maps and developing these...

Well the only difference is, that some mappers just release their very first maps, which isn't a good idea since most of them are crap and others make some improvement before releasing the first map.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:44:20 AM »
if you havent noticed i have been improving it.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:45 AM »
I wasn't talking about u bro^^

and maybe u misunderstood the last sentence

others make some improvement before releasing the first map
I know u are improving ur maps, and u do this good. But i was referring to the improvements that mappers make before the first beta is released.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 06:29:36 AM »
ohhhhh. Im a meddling dipexcrement.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:57:20 AM »
Improving is fine, but you don't need to release every single map you start. I've made probably 50 maps, and only ever released 1. Most, if not all, are better then this, but if you expect a map to be played you need way more mapping experience/talent.

This map has nothing to make it even remotely nice. Large flat surfaces, boring textures, no jumps, no anything really. It's just boring. When you're about to release a map compare it to some maps that get actively used, like DT maps. Posting excrement like this will just turn into people saying its excrement. Post on forums after the improvement is done and you have something worth playing. Don't become a nick123/robbie and whoever else posted every piece of garbage they ever started.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »
who said he's releasing this? the only way to learn is to post and see what others think. I think everyone wants to excrement on froggy. He's not snood. Everyone chillax.

and clipz, you don't want Chef's advice so why should your opinion matter to frog?

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
its going to be a little village place thing and yes i didnt really want to realese this , this is just so chef_killer and all that can help me become a great mapper.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
I LOVE YOU foxhound.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
Posting here doesn't make you a better mapper. Nobody is going to critique every stage of every map you do to help you improve. Nobody has done it that way. And don't put it on forums as: Newmap: name -- put like: Looking for help on a map -- etc.etc..

Look at guides like everyone else. You've released a map before that was awful, that's why I posted that. I'm all for new mappers, but the lack of quality being produced is pitiful. When maps get released and have the same quality as Dhemap, then the game certainly isn't improving.

It may come across as mean, but isn't the ultimate goal of mapping to make a map that people PLAY? If that's what you want, it should take almost a month to finish a map, and that's after months of scrapping previous maps. Message people on IRC/forums to get help with mapping to become better, learn what textures will actually look nice together etc... Go look at good mappers maps, try to copy them, look at guides (ie Cusoman's youtube video on terrain) - practice it. Copy other maps. It takes time to make a good map, that's why there's barely any good mappers out there. Chef-killer shouldn't waste his time going over this, because comparing this to any DP map out there you should realize it's awful.

Copying other maps was the easiest way for me to learn mapping. I could see what parts I'm doing wrong and work on adjusting them. I also had some help from Cusoman and Termi, I'm sure you could find somebody to help you. But don't release any maps until you've done like 10+ completed maps. It's the best way.

TL;DR - Get help on mapping.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 05:27:37 AM »
ok.

Whaley

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »
this is just so chef_killer and all that can help me become a great mapper.
that will not happen

Whaley

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
when you get pro at mapping can you teach me pl0x

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
maybe.