Author Topic: Quick Fixes for Build 37 / 182  (Read 5981 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Quick Fixes for Build 37 / 182
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:03:56 PM »
Throw out some suggestions for quick little fixes I can put in the next build.  Here are a few issues I've noticed, or that people have brought to my attention:

Stuff new to B36:
- Disable idle timeout on tutorial map.
- Ignore tripping setting on tutorial map.
- Wait 'til death/respawn to show the auto-balance dialog.
- Stop player movement when a dialog is displayed in tutorial map to keep people from triggering a bunch of dialogs at once.
- Fix, strings from the trigger_once messages can not be translated (hopefully)

Other misc. things:
- Using the wave command shouldn't stop you.
- Change the sv_minclientbuild message
- Added an epsilon check to flag returns to hopefully fix the multi-flag-return bug when the flag is just slightly off from the base.
- Add the sortable serverlist menu file (from viciouz)
- Remove all spaces in front of the server names in the serverlist
- Grenade Suicide Team Kill Exploit

- Streamline Account/Profile Creation UI
- Save console history.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:12:03 AM by jitspoe »

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: Quick Fixes for Build 37 / 182
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
soooooo basically fix tutorial map?

how about momentum shouldn't carry when you die.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
I don't know if anyone else see this as a bug/glitch, but when in a pong server(usually a jump server) to stop yourself from being shot, you can bind wave and when you get shot, you wont move. It's annoying because pub stars find this glitch out and block on jump servers.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
That's an old glitch, like build 26 old. We use it to stop sliding on ice too.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
- Wait 'til death/respawn to show the auto-balance dialog.
+ show only one dialog for both messages.

- Fix, strings from the trigger_once messages can not be translated
- Use only the client-side scoreboard anymore
- Change the sv_minclientbuild message
- Fix Overflows when Using Maplist Command
- Prevent Pong Ball from Passing Through Players
- Don't Crash Server with Too Many Entities
- Remove Maps from Rotation List if Deleted to Stop Crash/Shutdown
- Fix Observers Blocking Live Players
- Speed Limit Setting for Tripping
- Print Final Scores to Console Log

subir11

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
thx

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
On the uninstall survey, somebody complained about all of the popups on the tutorial map and uninstalled because of that.  Perhaps we need a different approach...

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
Well the pop ups are annoying when you're trying to walk and then they pop up and you can no longer move, instead you have to click ok. If you make tit so it doesn't stop the game that's a start

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
so has this build been official yet?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
T3R: Turns out I was using the wrong translate function, so hopefully that's fixed now.

Fixed a few other things.  They've been scratched out in my first post.

Chem: build 36 is.  37 hasn't been released in any form yet.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
On the uninstall survey, somebody complained about all of the popups on the tutorial map and uninstalled because of that.  Perhaps we need a different approach...
It's kind of annoying to move with the mouse curser to the very small "OK" button over and over again. Maybe allowing to press the enter key as well (wherever the mouse curser is in that moment) could help to avoid frustrations.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
I only think somebody would get annoyed with the tutorial popups if they didn't want to do the tutorial map - instead of jumping straight into the game, perhaps there should be a "strongly suggest" menu to allow players to skip it if they really want?

It's kind of annoying to move with the mouse curser to the very small "OK" button over and over again. Maybe allowing to press the enter key as well (whereever the mouse curser is in that moment) could help to avoid frustrations.
... or that :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
You can hit esc to close them quickly.  It would be nice if enter worked, too, though.  I'm seeing how much work it would be to have a different system for the tutorial popups - one where it would just show the window in the upper right, but it wouldn't actually be a dialog you had to close - it would just stay up there for a period of time, or maybe set it up so it would stay there as long as you stood in a particular tutorial zone.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
or maybe set it up so it would stay there as long as you stood in a particular tutorial zone.

This ^^

You should make the popups act like the messages you can put in maps.  When you enter the defined area the popup shows and as long as you are standing in the area it stays.   Message should disapear if you are out of the zone for more than 2 seconds or something.

Could even take it to the next level with this by adding an OK button or an X to each popup.  If you click OK or X the message should not show until you exit and re-enter the defined message area.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
The popups currently have an OK button.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »
These have been implemented:

I'm currently working on a popup system to replace the dialog boxes, so I don't know that the auto-switch notification is really an issue anymore (and it might be a good thing to know before your respawn, so you can be prepared for the change).

I thought the translation was fixed, but T3RR0R15T built the latest code I submitted and said otherwise, so I might have to revisit that.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
Went ahead and implemented the console history as well, since I waste so much time typing things in the console over and over again.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »
The auto-switch notification shouldn't be a problem anymore.
The join obs and already obs messages have their own popup notification. Is it good (or not) to add it to the team colors too (you are red, switched from a to b, already red)?

I thought the translation was fixed, but T3RR0R15T built the latest code I submitted and said otherwise, so I might have to revisit that.

Works now with the latest code (submitted 5 hours ago). Thanks :D

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
More things:

1a. Funname Codes Show in Log for "listuserip" Command
1b. If you fix that, please add a command to show the funname codes in the log. It could be helpful in some cases. Maybe something like "funnames" (similar to the "names" command).

2. I found a little bug (or is it already known?): Go to a server and type "funname" in the console, you will get a "yourname changed name to noname1234." and the score board and the names/players command shows that noname1234 instead of your normal name. If you than type "name" in the console, it shows your normal name (not noname1234). Reconnect to the server and you will get your normal name again.

3. Don't know if this is a too big change: Enable full mouse support in the console (not only scrolling), so its easier to mark and copy/paste things.

4. Can you make the tutorial map changes available to all maps? For example: That it shows a dialog or popup if the trigger_once has "dialog 1" or "popup 1" in the settings.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:25:30 AM by T3RR0R15T »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
More things:

1a. Funname Codes Show in Log for "listuserip" Command
1b. If you fix that, please add a command to show the funname codes in the log. It could be helpful in some cases. Maybe something like "funnames" (similar to the "names" command).

2. I found a little bug (or is it already known?): Go to a server and type "funname" in the console, you will get a "yourname changed name to noname1234." and the score board and the names/players command shows that noname1234 instead of your normal name. If you than type "name" in the console, it shows your normal name (not noname1234). Reconnect to the server and you will get your normal name again.

3. Don't know if this is a too big change: Enable full mouse support in the console (not only scrolling), so its easier to mark and copy/paste things.

4. Can you make the tutorial map changes available to all maps? For example: That it shows a dialog or popup if the trigger_once has "dialog 1" or "popup 1" in the settings.
1a. Done. 1b - probably not going to bother unless it's actually useful.

2.  Not a bug.  The "funname" command is really an obsolete command that lets you use extended codes when you couldn't set your name with them on the client.  The standalone client lets you do this.  Setting the funname only sets the name on the server, not the client.

3. That's a pretty significant effort, not a quick fix.

4.  That's what I wanted to do originally, but then I realized it would mean adding additional data to every entity in the game (the one downside to Quake2's entity system), so I opted for a global setting, which I used for other things as well.  Do you have a good reason to use popups in a map?  I would think they'd be annoying during normal gameplay.