Author Topic: Unusual server crashing. New 'sploit?  (Read 1371 times)

bug

• 68 Carbine
Unusual server crashing. New 'sploit?
« on: June 23, 2006, 02:08:44 AM »
Hey. For no apparent reason, at random times, my server will lag out until all players are forced to remain frozen or disconnect. This has only started happening today, and attached is the sshot of what the server dumps as the problem. What the heck is this? Some new 'sploit that has just popped up today? Whatever the cause of it is, it's happened very frequently all day, and is getting extremely annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

-Bugged

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:35:51 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Unusual server crashing. New 'sploit?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:16:40 PM »
The players freezing and that error are both caused by too many entities.  What map is it happening on?

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »
Originally it happened on gxjump3 (plenty of func_trains and moving pieces), but the other times it has happened I wasn't there, and could only see the error, not anything related to the map.

QwazyWabbit

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 11:00:15 AM »
The default number of entities in the game is 1024. When the server tries to allocate past this number, that error is generated.

You can control this limitation in your server config with the cvar "maxentities". Set maxentities 2048 in your server configuration and you should be OK.

Explanation: This variable controls how much memory the game sets aside for entity storage. It's allocated in one chunk (hopefully) when the game server is initialized. The size of this chunk in bytes is maxentities * sizeof(g_edicts[0]), g_edicts are edict_s structures and the size of that stucture depends on the mod. Q2 is very modest in it's memory usage compared to other game engines today.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 02:29:29 PM »
Ok, thanks for that very detailed explanation and fix, QwazyWabbit! I'll try and change my maxentities and see if that fixes it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »
That will just fix the number of entities before the server shuts down.  The problem with players freezing up because there's too much data to send will still be there.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:40:41 PM »
That will just fix the number of entities before the server shuts down.  The problem with players freezing up because there's too much data to send will still be there.

Dang. I've had the player-freezing problem before, but mostly with understandable things like setting ball_life to 10000 and giving everyone fully-loaded autocockers ;)

Vinne

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »
that happens alot on frued jump sever right now its not working