Author Topic: Potentially Required Server Updates  (Read 4729 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Potentially Required Server Updates
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
There are a lot of servers running old versions, and it's frustrating because so many bugs have been fixed along with cheat detection improvements, etc.  I might soon require that servers run a reasonably recent version in order to be added to the server list.  If you have any issues with running the current version, let me know, so that I can fix them for the next release.  "I'm too lazy to update" doesn't count. :P

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Re: Potentially Required Server Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
Thankyou!
Then get them to change minclient build to 36 so then they will get to try the tutorial map. I tried telling them to go try it out and get the build 36 so you know how to play the game a little better. Just sat there saying what??.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »
The jump servers I run are still on build 21 due to forced deathmatch not working on later builds.  I think there will be lots of opposition to this if it means no more jump servers.  I don't think I would have a problem updating them to the latest build if it works.  

I don't remember the reason why I haven't updated all other servers, they are still on build 32 with oldphysics on.  I am planning to keep oldphysics on so I would really have a problem with this if this idea was implemented and in a later build the option was removed.  I guess you can call me stubborn for this, but changes to physics are something the majority of "veteran" players can't stand.  The biggest one for me being the fact that you can't slide any more without holding space (hate this so much).  Don't I have the right to be a little bit stubborn when it comes to my own servers though?

I am too tired to think of any other good reasons right now but I am pretty sure I don't like this idea, depending on what your definition of recent is and status of deathmatch bug.
Will double check tomorrow while at work though =p

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:45:43 AM »
@Superman, I'm fairly sure I run bantero.us DM on a later build than 21, and the forced gamemode seems to work fine there...

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »
@Superman, I'm fairly sure I run bantero.us DM on a later build than 21, and the forced gamemode seems to work fine there...

Now that you mention it... I forgot about :Supermans DM:.  I will look into moving my jump servers to newer build this weekend maybe.  

I have a feeling the jump servers aren't what jitspoe was talking about though.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
If there's still an issue with forced gamemode, let me know.  That should be fixed.

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:18:42 AM »

But your DM Server has DM maps.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »

Yes, but usually they shuffle between DM and TDM - with g_forcedgamemode it's just DM :)

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »
Yes, but usually they shuffle between DM and TDM - with g_forcedgamemode it's just DM :)

But jump maps are not in DM. The most maps are CTF / ELIM.
But with b21 you can force DM.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »

Ah yes he is right.  Since most of the old quake2 jump maps aren't specifically created for DM mode the forcedgamemode command will cause them to cycle through TDM and DM. 

I think this is the only issue preventing me from upgrading my jump servers past build 21.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
Have you tried the latest version?

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:51 AM »
Have you tried the latest version?
Dont work since b21 >
And I tried alot of builds

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Dont work since b21 >
And I tried alot of builds
Including build 36?

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
The biggest one for me being the fact that you can't slide any more without holding space (hate this so much). 

You said you have more issues than this, but jitspoe has actually fixed this problem in particular. He did several changes to B33 physics where I assume you stopped testing, so try the b35+ physics out and see if they still annoy you. The difference isn't drastic like it used to be.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
You said you have more issues than this, but jitspoe has actually fixed this problem in particular. He did several changes to B33 physics where I assume you stopped testing, so try the b35+ physics out and see if they still annoy you. The difference isn't drastic like it used to be.

Actually I had a b35 test server running and it still had this problem.   I notice it every time I play in b35 public servers also.  The fixes are what created this problem.

I've already stated a few reasons why it is awful in the appropriate discussion thread.  As long as I have the option to keep old physics on my servers I don't have any problems.

Little side note:  You don't hear many of the "competitive" players complaining about this because most of them match on my servers which run build 32 with old physics enabled and they rarely play in public servers.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »
Ok, I was assuming you hadn't tried them out, and yeah wrong topic to blab about it.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:58 AM »
Ok, I was assuming you hadn't tried them out, and yeah wrong topic to blab about it. Since nothing of relevance was added, I hope these three posts are removed :o

Eh it is somewhat relevant.  If jitspoe decides to remove the option for oldphysics I would be very opposed to the idea of required server updates.  

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
why dont you just set the server setting to sv_oldmovephysics or w.e it is?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:06 AM »
Including build 36?

I have a build 36 test jump server running.  It seems to be working properly with forced DM.  Maybe this weekend I will look at moving all my servers to build 36, or at least the jump servers for now.

why dont you just set the server setting to sv_oldmovephysics or w.e it is?
^^ That is what I am doing now.  I meant I would have problems if this option was removed.