Author Topic: Speed Server Strike?  (Read 8922 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Speed Server Strike?
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
Here's a little idea.  A lot of people are turned off by the fact that only speed servers seem to be populated these days.  I know there are a lot of us that want to play on the regular servers, and if we could coordinate a large enough effort, we should be able to get the standard servers popular again.

I guess the general idea would be to try to play exclusively on non-speed servers.  If there aren't any with players, try to convince people on other servers, IRC, etc. to join you.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Re: Speed Server Strike?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »
+1

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:58:21 PM »
The players who will read this probably don't play speed servers as it is.

If people are going to try to get IRC people to join a pub, it'll turn into them getting a private server for a PUG. Since better players don't want that 1 newbie to join, making it not competitive.

Don't see this idea going anywhere.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
So put all the good players into a server and expect newbies to stay and play, kk. They wont leave the Speed Servers, especially because there is more of them then there is of us.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
why shoot down ideas that take almost no effort to try? then you guys got mad when you posted that map idea with a bunch of cons and obstacles and people did the same thing to you....

nothing is ever gonna happen in this game if people btch out every post with an idea. at this point just say fck it and try whatever you think has any chance of helping lol. nothing can get worse...

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »
Just putting my opinion. Pew pew pew.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
why shoot down ideas that take almost no effort to try? then you guys got mad when you posted that map idea with a bunch of cons and obstacles and people did the same thing to you....

nothing is ever gonna happen in this game if people btch out every post with an idea. at this point just say fck it and try whatever you think has any chance of helping lol. nothing can get worse...

So true. 

When I was first starting I liked the speed servers because I didn't have to wait so long to play another round. 

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
Well, I already do this and gotta say that most european who I know do not play on these server's anyway.

The problem is that we either have to play speed(or jump) or refuse to play and I, for me, refuse it, like most of us.
It's almost impossible to get another server filled up(superman's pub was quite populated, but I ping to high, so it's no fun anyways). I tried it before, waited up to half an hour, nobody came. PUGs are a possibility, but hell, after 5 mins of gaming everybody gets serious, failure is unacceptable. Not very pubbish if you ask me.

Ghadente

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »
If you don't like playing speed servers then just don't play them, and go into a non-speed server... then if enough players do this than the non-speed server will fill up. This will then give some of the players who constantly play the speed servers (and either don't go into other servers bc they are empty or don't go on forums to read this) a choice. Once the non-speed servers are populated it will at least have a chance to draw in players from speed servers.

i do agree that people need to quit complaining and its also alright to have an opinion, but maybe try some constructive criticism. Rather than just knocking down an idea, attempt to provide an alternative solution.

would be good if there were some way to alert players waiting for a non-speed server to get populated that others were waiting too. there are probably many times when a handful of players are all searching for the right server but choose not to sit and wait in an empty for others to join.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:27:22 AM »
Ghadente: Jitspoe posted about serverbrowser option to alert people when a specific server got populated.

Chalk: It's not shooting down the idea, it's providing an opinion. We got frustrated in the other thread because a lot of people didn't actually understand the reasoning and didn't comment back on points. I'm trying to explain why I don't think it'll work.

Most people seeing this post already avoids speedservers, and by populating a 'normal' pub, you're pretty much starting a pug - on a regular server. One 300ping 'newbie' will enter, and be afk or stuck low on pp1 etc... and people will start leaving (Or it'll go to a map some people don't enjoy). It always happens. It'd probably be different if the new players were english speaking, but they never are. You can't even try to help the random newbies that enter, because they're always brazilian. Pubs or Pugs of the IRC community are usually good for 1 or 2 maps before dying.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
Myers gets me. <3

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
Ghadente: Jitspoe posted about serverbrowser option to alert people when a specific server got populated.

Chalk: It's not shooting down the idea, it's providing an opinion. We got frustrated in the other thread because a lot of people didn't actually understand the reasoning and didn't comment back on points. I'm trying to explain why I don't think it'll work.

Most people seeing this post already avoids speedservers, and by populating a 'normal' pub, you're pretty much starting a pug - on a regular server. One 300ping 'newbie' will enter, and be afk or stuck low on pp1 etc... and people will start leaving (Or it'll go to a map some people don't enjoy). It always happens. It'd probably be different if the new players were english speaking, but they never are. You can't even try to help the random newbies that enter, because they're always brazilian. Pubs or Pugs of the IRC community are usually good for 1 or 2 maps before dying.

"Don't see this idea going anywhere" = shooting down the idea != "fck your idea. you suck blah blah blah" lol

Of course some people will leave normal pubs because they get shot too much , or a noob ruins it, but that's how it is in every game(and how it used to be before dp went to sht).  There are plenty of decent players who've never been on IRC that just run around on speed servers because they're the only ones that are populated.

All of the seemingly mindless noobs just join the server with the most people in it, and the people who usually get the servers going everyday are people from IRC community.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
The players who will read this probably don't play speed servers as it is.

If people are going to try to get IRC people to join a pub, it'll turn into them getting a private server for a PUG. Since better players don't want that 1 newbie to join, making it not competitive.

Don't see this idea going anywhere.

If anyone else said this in response to one of your ideas, you'd say that they're close minded and you're not going to post on the thread anymore.  Do us a favor, and don't post on this, or any, threads anymore.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »
Cute personal flame instead of posting regarding the thread, Gonass.

The difference is, I didn't call people closed minded for disagreeing with my opinion - Jitspoe disagreed with it, and other people too. It was when people posted just saying they disagreed with it, and avoiding explaining why (ie not posting anything related to my reasons why I thought it would work) - Or their posts showed they either didn't understand any of my simple points, or didn't take the time to even read them (which, if you don't read it why post?). On this thread I posted why I don't think this idea would work. Pretty simple. Do you understand?

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »

You did the same. Calling out a flame. That is way off topic.

Do you understand?

helixx

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »
Now there is a second stupid 24/7 italy server.

wtf even one is/was to much

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 07:16:45 PM »

The difference is, I didn't call people closed minded for disagreeing with my opinion - Jitspoe disagreed with it, and other people too. It was when people posted just saying they disagreed with it, and avoiding explaining why (ie not posting anything related to my reasons why I thought it would work) - Or their posts showed they either didn't understand any of my simple points, or didn't take the time to even read them (which, if you don't read it why post?). On this thread I posted why I don't think this idea would work. Pretty simple. Do you understand?
If it was only acceptable to reply to a thread on the subject of the thread's title, then why did you do it too?

I saw a lot of people who understood the concept and explained why they thought it wouldn't work, or asked questions to further understand the concept.  Some people were even making suggestions.

In fact, I didn't see anyone saying only that they didn't agree with it without explaining why before you had your little fit.

It seems to me like you got upset because some people didn't think it was a good idea.  It wasn't that they didn't understand, that must be what you're telling yourself to make yourself feel better, like how you tell yourself that they're close minded too.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
How about the speed serves get taken down for a week? See what happens. Newbs will be forced to play on normal servers :)

P.s Take da flame warz into pmssss. It's getting hawt in here.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »

Chalk: It's not shooting down the idea, it's providing an opinion. We got frustrated in the other thread because a lot of people didn't actually understand the reasoning and didn't comment back on points.

False

helixx

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Hey people!

In the last weeks we also tried to make our pub servers,
"Crack the Public" and "wGy´s Pub" more popular.

Recently we also started the "UaD< Public".

Of course I only know the situation in german-main-time,
in the american main time the situation could be another and
I wouldn't even notice. ;)

We always try to have an admin online who can ask for mapwishes, explain things and so on...

These are the problems I see, why most of the newbies don't play on pub servers:

Have you ever noticed that those DcN Servers are always on top of the sevrerlist although
there's no human player on it, only bots?

Hmmm. Maybe that's also the reason why they use bots. just thinking... ;)

My "conspiracy" theory is that this is their marketing strategy...

It's easy to play there for beginners.
They don't know much about PB2 and don't see that this is not the usual gameplay of PB2,
so they won't learn you need to learn to get better.

Its also really hard for european newbies without active friends in paintball to come into the pubscene and enjoy it, because:

1. Our pubscene is small, but full of pros.
2. Some of our pubplayers can't loose and some of them play like it was a match.

These are big reasons for newbies to prefer speed servers,
because they are not so good and often get marked (killed).

And on speedservers, they don't have to wait a long time to respawn, after a few seconds they can try again.

I explained this point already, sorry, but anyways!

I'm not just a speed-server-freak, just to explain myself.

How about the speed serves get taken down for a week?

I think it's not a bad idea to see what would happen,
if some of these "many-slot" servers without any active admins, would be close for couple days.

I'm really interested to see what would happen then. ;)
I think that this would be a chance for the normal servers and,
a little bit later, it could bring more activity to pubs.

From my position I would back up this idea. hehe

Question:

Did someone ever try to contact these people,
who are hosting that DcN, BOSS and other "many-slot" (imo horror) servers?

Maybe to explain them what we think about those servers, and why...

Do you think that the "cRack' the Speed" and "UaD< Speed" servers are also guilty
with 28 slots and elim time of 10 seconds?

I don't know what you realy think about it.
You're welcome to talk to us!

I hope you understand my english I learned by watching movies *rofl*.

Greetings