Author Topic: Speed Server Strike?  (Read 8921 times)

freakii

• PGP
Re: Speed Server Strike?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »
At UaD< Speed, we already set the sv_login to 2 ;)

I don't think, that the "normal" Speed Servers are the Problem, more those with 64 Slots and 24/7 the same map.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
At UaD< Speed, we already set the sv_login to 2 ;)

I don't think, that the "normal" Speed Servers are the Problem, more those with 64 Slots and 24/7 the same map.

we dont care about the login. turn it into a normal pub azzzzholeee

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
we dont care about the login. turn it into a normal pub azzzzholeee

We're already hosting 3 Public servers, 2 are always empty, and setting sv_login to 2 means that there won't be any newbies / no-names, which this is about most, isn't it?
And when there are no newbies, the server won't be used at all, because there are no players on it, so it's like shutting it down at all.

azzzzholeee

Love you too <3 <3 <3.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 05:50:09 PM »
We're already hosting 3 Public servers, 2 are always empty, and setting sv_login to 2 means that there won't be any newbies / no-names, which this is about most, isn't it?
And when there are no newbies, the server won't be used at all, because there are no players on it, so it's like shutting it down at all.

Love you too <3 <3 <3.

No, most of us just dont like the respawn time and maps + If there were no speed servers they would go to regular servers.

Btw: I don't mean anything by the name-calling. i just type stuff quickly and hit enter :D

thinking is dumb!

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
Simple, just make the Elim time have a limit, it can't be less than 20 seconds.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
Simple, just make the Elim time have a limit, it can't be less than 20 seconds.
Then the admins just wouldn't update the servers.  I did have a more subtle idea that would increase the respawn time based on how many players were in the game (so as the speed servers got more crowded, elim times would go up, making it actually possible to clear players out and grab flags): http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10031 -- it wasn't a popular idea at all.

In any case, this thread was a suggestion more to get the oldschool players active again, not so much for the new guys.  If everybody involved in this discussion right now jumped on a server, we'd have a nice little 6v6-8v8.  The biggest thing that bugged me about the speed servers is when I jumped on one to test the Linux build, and half the players on there had clan tags.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
I think to get old school players back there needs to be more competitive play. Tournaments. Pbcups. I think this is more appealing to older players becuase its more competitive then just grabbing 3 scrubs and matching each other.

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
This community never handeled cups adequate. They demand it and once they get a tournament, they did anything to make it a worse experience for everybody.
We gotta work step by step. First of all we got to solve the pub problem. Then we can talk about a matching scene

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
I totally agree, was just responding to jitspoe's previous post.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible to force public servers to have a lower maxclient value as 18 or so, or restricting the respawn timer non-server side? I mean somehow like the Global login system or so.

Ghadente

• Stingray
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »

If there were no speed servers they would go to regular servers.

i don't think that's necessarily true. IF players enjoy speed servers bc of the fast respawn time, then forcing them into servers may deter them from playing at all. (just a thought) [like if you took away Vanilla ice cream, then would every just eat Chocolate? would depend on how much they desired ice cream i guess]

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
i don't think that's necessarily true. IF players enjoy speed servers bc of the fast respawn time, then forcing them into servers may deter them from playing at all. (just a thought) [like if you took away Vanilla ice cream, then would every just eat Chocolate? would depend on how much they desired ice cream i guess]

^^ This is exactly right.  Limiting options is not the way to go.  

Maybe we can think of some ways to improve "normal" games.

Copied from another thread:
 I think rewarding players is also very important when it comes to keeping a steady player base.  XP idea isn't bad.  If each player had a level, received XP for playing there would actually be some incentive for some people to play.  This would tie nicely into a certified server/map system.  Can only get XP from certified servers, certified servers can only run certified maps.  I think limiting the number of maps that can be certified is a mistake though.
This would also work with the competitive scene.  Clans agree to only match on certified servers / maps.  If XP stats were collected I don't see why match results couldn't also be.  So match results could be automatically posted to the dplogin clan pages.

Why do people play video games?  To have fun yes... but it is more than that.  The most popular video games have some sort of progression to them that also incorporates rewards.  The player feels like he is accomplishing something while playing.  What do other FPS games do to reward players?  XP, level system, achievements, unlockables.

DP currently has none of these.  Does anyone here feel like they are accomplishing something while playing dp?  Is anyone rewarded for playing dp?  You can't blame people for playing on speed servers since mindless killing is all this game has to offer at the moment.

Why do you think jump maps have always been popular?  There is some sort of progression, people want to make it to the end of the map.  They feel like they have accomplished something if they complete a jump map.

Limiting options when only a few hundred people play would cause this game to die even quicker.  ESPECIALLY when you are talking about removing probably the most popular aspect of the game at the moment.

My suggestions:

1.  Have some good in-game tutorials explaining the basics.
2.  Implement an XP/Level system (prestige?) with achievements and unlockables (Ties into certified servers/maps).
3.  Get this game on steam.

I can almost 100% guarantee you that people will start playing in 60/30 sec elim servers more often than speed if they are rewarded for it.

Could probably keep going but I think you guys should get my point.  Make game easier to learn, reward players, expand player base.

There is no quick-fix that will magically make DP popular again.  DP is old, it has to be brought up to par if it wants to compete.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »
Well, there are two key problems with the speed servers:

#1 - The game was never designed to have instant respawns in CTF.  It's a round-based mode, where your objectives are to either eliminate the other team or capture the flag.  Instant respawns make eliminating the other team impossible, and with instant respawns, getting into the base, grabbing the flag, and getting back out again is almost impossible with people respawning all the time (usually right next to the flag).  Respawns were really just there to prevent people from getting stuck out of the game if people were taking too long to complete the objectives (ex: both teams just defending).  It effectively just boils down to a kill fest with a stalemate on the objectives.  There's already a game mode for this: DM!

#2 - They cater to the type of people who want instant action and have a short attention span and won't stick around for long.  So, basically, they get more populated in the short term, but in the long term, people who want the instant mindless killfest move on to the next thing, and people who would have enjoyed the game as it was designed, had no idea it even played like that because all they experienced was a spawnkill fest, so they moved on as well.

Ghadente

• Stingray
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »
more DM maps?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 09:13:24 AM »
I think most people would rather be on a team than being alone.  Maybe if we could tweak the TDM scoring so the matches don't feel like they drag on forever. I think currently you lose a point every time a member of your team is killed.  In a server where everyone has roughly the same skill level the games don't end until the time limit is up, and  by then people have gotten bored and left.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »
I think most people would rather be on a team than being alone.  Maybe if we could tweak the TDM scoring so the matches don't feel like they drag on forever. I think currently you lose a point every time a member of your team is killed.  In a server where everyone has roughly the same skill level the games don't end until the time limit is up, and  by then people have gotten bored and left.
That's already been changed... if you'd update your servers. ;)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
That's already been changed... if you'd update your servers. ;)

Oh, which build did you fix that in?  Patch notes? =p.  Maybe I will put up a TDM server for a bit to see if anyone likes it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
Oh, which build did you fix that in?  Patch notes? =p.  Maybe I will put up a TDM server for a bit to see if anyone likes it.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=21809.msg204568#msg204568

Ghadente

• Stingray
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
I for one, prefer playing solo than on a team. It isn't that I work poorly with others or not cooperative at being a "team-player", its just that i find playing solo in this game more fun and challenging. Plus you don't have to worry about other players to cover, block, or fail you.

i despise it when i join a DM map and its set on TDM, i'd rather just play ctf or koh.

I'd like to see more DM maps made though bc there are way too few of them compared to ctf.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2012, 03:30:57 AM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=21809.msg204568#msg204568

Oh, I didn't look back that far.  My "normal" servers are running build 32 actually.  Guess I just haven't played a TDM match in a long time.

I'd like to see more DM maps made though bc there are way too few of them compared to ctf.

Hopefully I will finish my DM map soon =).