Author Topic: PS1 - Pure Skills Beta 1  (Read 8214 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
PS1 - Pure Skills Beta 1
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
Pure skills is a 4 flag map, 2 per team each worth 5 points.
Spawn with a Carbine 2 20 oz c02's 200 paint-balls and a Steele barrel. There are multiple ways to each flags, therefor it will be a difficult map to camp. I took my time with this one and I'm not done. I still need to align textures and change some as well. Anyways here you are: clipz.viciouz.co.uk/maps/ps1_b1.bsp

A few SS's:

HBD to one flag.

Behind one flag. DJ from crate to HBD entrance 1 of 3.

2 Flag, high in base and HBD entrance 2 of 3.

Far right path to 1 flag and HBD entrance 3 of 3.

Tunnels in base lead to all three main paths. Both ends of the tunnels and the ladder to the high and 2 flag.

Middle to left side of base, near tunnel.

Mid.

Birds Eye.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
Re: PS1 - Pure Skills Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
best map to be made yet.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
brilliant work 8)

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
why is this map still in beta?
its awesome
launch it

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »
why is this map still in beta?
its awesome
launch it

Need to allign textures. going to slow down mid and change mid high. Need to add paint and c02. Once I do that ill be done.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:50:02 PM »
Ok, before you release any more betas, we need to get that lighting issue sorted out.  The map was causing me some serious eye strain with the dark blue-green lighting and the bright sky.

The sky seems out of place with the map lighting (even if it was fixed).  Wouldn't a dark or night sky make more sense than a bright daytime sky with that lighting?

The wall texture seemed a bit out of place in a lot of areas where the walls were kind of curvy/organic shaped.  It might make more sense to use rock textures there and use the stone for flat, 90-degree areas.

Also, I guess you're aware of this, but a ton of the textures are misaligned.  I'm not sure how you ended up with crazy areas like this (screenshot) where one wall has like 3 different alignments.  Just stick with a 32 unit grid, use the default texture scale and position, and you're good to go.

In BSP to fix that area, you can right click (copy) on the good texture, and ctrl+shift+right click (paste) on the problem areas.  Would have been a lot easier if you just kept everything aligned to 32 units as you were making the map, though...

Edit: Also, it looks like you have your brightness or gamma or something cranked way up, because the map is super dark for me - much darker than your screenshots.  You should design your map for the default settings.

subir11

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:31 AM »
its a nice map tho

subir11

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:56 AM »
best one made by clips :D

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »
best one made by clips :D

Mystique is far better,

This map is a straight line, everyone will go mid and line. Only good if you're only play with 2 people and you can't send everyone to 1 path and line.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:35:57 AM »
Overall it's an okay map, but I can see why people are saying it's amazing and stuff; look at what else has been released in the last few months. You're the only competent mapper left, I suppose. But anyways, I don't like the map nor do I think it will play well at the moment.

1) As Jitspoe noted, why is the sky showing daytime, but the maps so dark? With some ugly shadows too.

2) Stop using brick wall everywhere. It doesn't make sense for brick to be everywhere on this map, including as a ground texture in spots.

3) Lots of misalignments, which is bad cause I don't care about them and wasn't trying to find any, they were just THAT obvious. Probably shouldn't have released till some more work was put in.

4) BIGGEST ISSUE - Awkward textures. Super unrealistic. (Which, only a few mappers could properly do terrain in this community anyways) - but if people are trying to get nicer maps out, you need to learn how to terrain. You have ground/walls ending at sharp points. Grass and brick don't do that. It only seems to be there because you're attempting to force jumps. (This is in multiple areas on the map)

5) Flag placement (seems like you tried to copy mystique a bit with base, to me). It forces the game to bottleneck because the 2 "high speed" is stupidly easy, and makes grabbing/capping 2 way faster. With equal cap points, that makes no sense. Gameplay will focus on watching 2 area. THIS DOESN'T STOP CAMPING, IT MOVES CAMPING TO FLAG2.

6) Maps to much of a square.

Basically, I don't think it'll play well. But, it looks like you did at the very least attempt to work on your terrain in this map. That's probably your biggest problem in your maps.

For your next maps: Stop doing squares (I think just about all your maps seem to turn into squares) - Work on your terrain - Stop using stonewal

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »
Overall it's an okay map, but I can see why people are saying it's amazing and stuff; look at what else has been released in the last few months. You're the only competent mapper left, I suppose. But anyways, I don't like the map nor do I think it will play well at the moment.

1) As Jitspoe noted, why is the sky showing daytime, but the maps so dark? With some ugly shadows too.

2) Stop using brick wall everywhere. It doesn't make sense for brick to be everywhere on this map, including as a ground texture in spots.

3) Lots of misalignments, which is bad cause I don't care about them and wasn't trying to find any, they were just THAT obvious. Probably shouldn't have released till some more work was put in.

4) BIGGEST ISSUE - Awkward textures. Super unrealistic. (Which, only a few mappers could properly do terrain in this community anyways) - but if people are trying to get nicer maps out, you need to learn how to terrain. You have ground/walls ending at sharp points. Grass and brick don't do that. It only seems to be there because you're attempting to force jumps. (This is in multiple areas on the map)

5) Flag placement (seems like you tried to copy mystique a bit with base, to me). It forces the game to bottleneck because the 2 "high speed" is stupidly easy, and makes grabbing/capping 2 way faster. With equal cap points, that makes no sense. Gameplay will focus on watching 2 area. THIS DOESN'T STOP CAMPING, IT MOVES CAMPING TO FLAG2.

6) Maps to much of a square.

Basically, I don't think it'll play well. But, it looks like you did at the very least attempt to work on your terrain in this map. That's probably your biggest problem in your maps.

For your next maps: Stop doing squares (I think just about all your maps seem to turn into squares) - Work on your terrain - Stop using stonewal

Great points, I tried to tell this to him while playing the map with him but, i dont think he wants to change it. The brick wall is excessive. Atleast mystique had some rock in there also. I was telling him earlier that 90% of his maps go in a straight line and are easy to line. He said "you can blow right by them" I don't see this happening. Plus why would you want this when they could jsut turn around and follow you? It would be much better if some paths where off the main path, but to me every path SEEMS like a main path in all of his maps.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Anyways thanks for the feedback. I'm completely changing the middle of the map and the texture scheme.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:25:26 PM by Clipz »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »
Anyways thanks for the feedback. I'm completely changing the middle of the map and the texture scheme.
atta boy, if you ever want me to do something and/or look at something before you post it i'll give the most unbiased review of your maps before they come out.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »
It would nice to have some more team indicators if everything looks same with this two textues.

Some screenshots...

I'll post more detailed feedback after you changed the mid area.

Online @ [OTB] Beta!

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »
The first SS must be a VIS error because its one solid brush...

Also ill be adding a few barrels and things to help identify which base your in.

I just wanted to get the base look out there. I'm more then likely going to remove the 2nd flag and move the 1st flag more center into that room where the pillar is that you can see through.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 05:25:56 AM »
Most of the time moving those brushes a few units will fix the glitch.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
Looks like it's some roundoff error, not a vis error.  Sometimes if two brushes are really close, or the edge of one brush is really small, it will snap the vertexes to one or the other and leave a small gap.  You probably want to make sure the edges are either perfectly aligned or have a few units of space.

As for the lighting colors, if you're using ArghRad, you can use the -gamedir parameter.  I think you can specify the whole path, like: -gamedir c:\bsp\pball2\quake2\pball

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: PS1 - Pure Skills Beta 2
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
Beta II is out.
- changed walls to rock texture.
- changed sky
- moved in one flag from back corner
- removed second flag
- completly different mid
- widened the paths in base