Author Topic: Almost always lag right before I shoot at someone.  (Read 2775 times)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Almost always lag right before I shoot at someone.
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
Hello,

Lately dp has been a bit annoying to play for me.  

When I am looking at someone and about to shoot my game freezes for a second.  Getting little gaps of nothing in the netgraph.  I will post a screen shot of it later tonight.

It seems like it only does it when one of the players is going to die.. For example I can walk around and shoot randomly with no problems.. But lets say I try to jump over the mid ramp on airtime with a bit of speed and quickly shoot someone on the ground while I am still in the air, it will almost always freeze for a couple seconds, and either me or the person I was aiming at ends up dead by the time it has unfrozen.

Seems like it is a network issue, could it be server performance?  Has anyone else experienced this problem?   I know it could potentially be my router/NIC.  I will test those tonight.

SpeedUSA

• PGP
Re: Almost always lag right before I shoot at someone.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »
That's not a bug, it's the new "level playing field" feature! Gotta keep it competitive for us mere mortals!

Actually, I had a similar problem. Think it was from the Windows firewall. Try turning it off and see if the problem disappears.

LongShot

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
Sounds like packets are being dropped for one reason or another.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
Sounds like packets are being dropped for one reason or another.

Not showing up as packet loss on the netgraph though.  I will play a bit now and get a screen shot of it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
Hm, so between this and your other issue, I'm starting to think your hard drive is failing.  Sometimes when a new sound plays, the game can hitch a bit as the sound is loaded into memory.  The sounds are supposed to all be precached, but I've noticed that issue still happens sometimes.  Have you noticed it with flag grabs/caps as well?

I would strongly suggest backing up any important files and then using some utilities like SpeedFan to check the state of your drive.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
Yeah.. it does happen with grabs and caps too.  That sounds like it could be it.  I will check it out, thanks.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:07 AM »
sounds just like something i had years ago. it was clientside issue of the video card driver config. took so long to figure out i actually had to copy it to textpad just to remember, tough excrement i dont have that anymore. i remember it including "negative lod bias", and i believe "triple buffering" and "trilinear optimization". this was all for nvidia chipsets.

like i said, its been awhile, but it was such a game ruiner and pain in the ass that some of it stuck. some didnt. good luck.

be here jan 5th regardless.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
Welcome back mewa!