Author Topic: 2013 Development Focus?  (Read 2142 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
2013 Development Focus?
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
I feel like there are 3 major potential things to focus on this year:

- Clan ranking to help promote the competitive side of the game and hopefully give people a reason to stick around and play more in the match scene.
 - Single player modes / improved bots to help new players who don't want to play against other people right away get into the game.
 - Improved graphics (complete HR4 textures, create better models, etc).

Which of these do You feel is more important, or do you think I should focus on something else entirely?

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: 2013 Development Focus?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »
They all have equal importance, but I would think improving the game visually is the most beneficial.

The game looking good will go a long way in getting people to stick around - more so than single player mode. (The tutorial in a sense can be seen as a quick fix to what single-player mode would have given. New players get an understanding of the movement/shooting before going online.)

Clan ranking will help the current competitive scene, and make it more enjoyable for them - but increasing the size of the competitive scene needs to be done first. I also think the community can work on this and continually improve it. (Like Rick has been doing). Then, if the community tries a bunch of methods for this, they can inform you which was the best etc... so it saves you the time of trial and error. So I see this as important, but not as much with only 5-6 teams.

So, IMO, improved graphics is the most important thing. (still think should go toony over realistic due to the style of game it is) - but finishing HR4 (and having them enabled on download) - better models - better maps - and any other visual upgrades to the game to make it appear more modern. This will probably help the game the most.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
I feel like there are 3 major potential things to focus on this year:

- Clan ranking to help promote the competitive side of the game and hopefully give people a reason to stick around and play more in the match scene.
 - Single player modes / improved bots to help new players who don't want to play against other people right away get into the game.
 - Improved graphics (complete HR4 textures, create better models, etc).

Which of these do You feel is more important, or do you think I should focus on something else entirely?

If you need help with Clan Rankings, I'd toss Cameron a quick PM. He is very skilled.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
1. Like each year: Bugfixes :)

2. I would like to see the game more friendly for new players. The tutorial was a really good first step for that.
I saw many players camping on a siege map in the last time. They were surprised that the round ends (after a specific time), so i would like to see a countdown for that in one of the next builds. But that is only one part. Other things are (for example) the user's national flag (so they know which player can explain something in their own language or where they can easily talk with) or the friends list. There are of course more things that make the game easier to understand and help to communicate with each other ingame, but that can be focused if jitspoe decided to work on this part.

3. Maybe also a part of the second one: Automatic updates. At the moment the clients get an information that there is a new update. What about downloading it ingame and install it with the next game start? The game can get a download source with one or two mirrors and download it from there, so there shouldn't be much more traffic on the dplogin server.

4. Improved graphics and physics.

5. Single player modes / improved bots. Single player with a big story and missions or only some maps to train?

6. Better / more dplogin integration (search a non-registered name ingame -at first game start-, show player / clan informations ingame --> right click on scoreboard, etc.).

7. Clan ranking (I don't think that it is worth to spend much time in it for around 10 clans, which we have at the moment).

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »
This is a quake mod. Graphics arent expected to be amazing. Focus on Bot AI and get other modes implemented.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
Nice start. I think another important upgrade will be needed for the website.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
7. Clan ranking (I don't think that it is worth to spend much time in it for around 10 clans, which we have at the moment).

For me this point should be way higher in the priority list. This is something that would be entirely new and I think it could give the game a real boost, as everybody wants to be on top of the list. In case this should be worked on, I believe this should be combined with some kind of new communication to find matches, as I have the feeling that the current chat option won't be too effective (at least that's what I think considering the current IRC activity). Maybe a simple feature on the website would help to find matches?

I think another important upgrade will be needed for the website.

+1
I believe there was a thread about this in the past. Might be worth having a look again?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
Perhaps an in-game IRC client that could be accessed while looking for servers and such would help: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10054

Ultimately, some sort of match making system would be good, but you really have to have a lot of active players for that to be effective.  Sort of a catch 22.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:49:10 AM »
Perhaps an in-game IRC client that could be accessed while looking for servers and such would help: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10054

Ultimately, some sort of match making system would be good, but you really have to have a lot of active players for that to be effective.  Sort of a catch 22.

I've been saying this for a long time, in game chat lobby is needed. 

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
TF2 has a coaching button, where people can become a coach and others can be coached. You would need a dedicated server for this. Also, you would need people to be coaches. It's not like a scheduled thing, if you wanna coach you click the button. If a newb presses the button to be coached and there's no coach, offer them to play the tutorial map.