Author Topic: Football Cup - discussion  (Read 4666 times)

Krzysztof10201

• PGP
Football Cup - discussion
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Hey everyone,

I’m writing to share with the idea of organizing the Football Cup based on a Pong mode. Yes, if you don't like it - don't follow the next lines. Thanks. I’ve already talked with several people about this. There are some people eager to join such a tournament, so I write this post to discuss about it and to give some various proposals and imaginations of the event. The rules (almost all discussable) will go like this:

1. Type of competition. In the past, people tried to make football league. It failed because most of people didn’t come to the matches (which were probably unscheduled). My idea is to make a championship based on UEFA Champions League rules, with the exception that every player can join a tournament if he/she has a team. Let’s assume that we have 16 teams scheduled on a tournament. The tourney will go like this:

1) 4 groups A-D, each with 4 teams, 6 matches per  group in a system all vs all. We get the best 2 of
   each group advanced = 8 teams, as 1A = 1st at group A and so on. The rest is eliminated.
   2) Quarterfinals: matches of 1A-2B, 1B-2A, 1C-2D, 1D-2C. Winners advance.
   3) Semifinals: matches of winner 1A-2B – winner 1C-2D  and  winner 1B-2A – winner 1D-2C.
   4) Match for the 3rd place and the final match – we have 3 final places.

Why is it better than league? Firstly, it is shorter, so people will not get bored. Secondly, it is more enjoyable, because we have way more competitive tournament – the loser is eliminated. Thirdly, it is easier to organize it – less matches (with 16 teams we have 32 matches compared to 16*15/2=120 matches in a league of the same size). This tournament is considered to be a test if it could work fine and if it might be continued and developed in the future.

2. Number of players. Most of guys were likely to have a 2v2 cup. It is possible to have 2v2 or 3v3, as more players on the field will not be very entertaining.

3. Match duration. Very good teams at 20-minute match score about 10 goals, sometimes even less, so it can’t be less than 15 minutes to make it fair.

3. Shooting. Most of people who play this are fine with one PGP shoot per round and it actually works fine at the [OTB] Soccer server, so the cup will have this solution in it.

4. Servers. As the main football server around is [OTB] Soccer, I thought about [OTB] servers, as everyone got used to ping they have there, but if we would have more American teams, we can think about different servers and make matches with 2 halves – 1 on American, 1 on European server. It just depends on the players which sign up to the tourney.

5. Team registration. As it is the very first tournament, I think it will work fine if it will be done here, at the forum. There will be new thread created for teams to sign up when everything will be fine.

6. Match scheduling. I’m not experienced at organizing such tourneys, so I would like to hear some opinions here. I was wondering about getting e-mails with the registration and people would schedule a match by contacting with each other by mail or by forum accounts by PM.

7. Results. The result of the match (if anyone couldn’t check the result) would be PM-ed from both of these mails or posted with an image at the forum and if everything is fine, it will be submitted at the scoreboard. 4-5 days should be enough for each round (3 rounds of matches for a group phase, 4 rounds for a championship mode, which might be faster as less teams we will have here). I know that people creates websites for such cases, but as it is the very first try and I’m not sure about how many people will be interested, this option is considered only in the next edition.

Every suggestion, idea and opinion other than ‘meh it won’t work because soccer sucks’ will be greatly appreciated ;) Looking forward for it. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:06:46 PM by Krzysztof10201 »

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
Re: Football Cup - discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
It's a nice idea, I will try to participate. I think that 16 teams are a very high prediction. If you need European servers for your league, then PM me.

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »
I am so down for some OTB Soccer sign me up! There is no shooting right? Just pure skillll

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »
i got moves like messi

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
I can host servers in America for this. I would also like to participate.

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »
Great idea. I don't remember when i played pong mode last time but it might be cool experience. Can't wait!

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
best goaltendie is available, msg me.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
best soccer player available, msg me.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
^Not even close to being true....amerigirl thingys.

Obviously this should be done on a Euro server. Otherwise we may be banned/kicked mid way through.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:58 PM »
Rick you wonder why i ban you because you instigate like a child.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
I haven't played in months, you haven't banned me from excrement, sir. I believe you banned Unrated, because he had the name Rick.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:01 AM »
so much hate. lets all be friends.

Krzysztof10201

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
Hey again,

Thanks a lot for all positive replies ;) We will probably need 1 Euro and 1 American server, so I will ask Clipz and MellonCollie when time comes. When we get more than 10 Euro or American teams, we will make 2nd Euro or American server, as there is no point of making more of them. I will PM u guys in a while, just give me a second to concentrate on it.

Here, I would like to show an estimated schedule for organizing it, which I will try to follow in the nearest future:

EDITED - 14-02-2013:
-------------------------------
1 ) 12th - 22nd Feb. - Discussion in this thread, getting more people interested, some votes.
2 ) 15th - 22nd Feb. - Registrating teams in the thread "Football Cup - Sign up!" - will be created at 18th 15th Feb.
3 ) 23rd Feb. - Server issues, creating  scoretables, rolling groups, setting up some rules dependent on the number of registered teams as advancing rules, matchmaking, new thread "Football Cup - Current results", etc.
4 ) 24rd Feb. - 28th Feb - Group Phase
5 ) 1st - 2nd March - Quarterfinals
6 ) 3rd - 4th March - Semifinals
7 ) 5th - 6th March - Match for the 3rd place and Final Match.

Then, I will create a thread to hear some feedback - what was wrong, what would you make differently, how did you like it and so on, and so forth.

I would like to make some votings right now, hope to see some answers. I will count your answers and update the vote once I come here.

1. Would you like to have 1 PGP bullet per round at match?
   Yes (1)       No (4)

2. The competition should be:
   2v2 (3)       3v3 (0)

3. Match duration:
   15 minutes (2)      20 minutes (0)       other (i will add if u suggest it)

4. Schedule presented above:
   Everything OK (1)      Phases too long (0)      Phases too short (0)

5. Match scheduling
   [14-2-2012 -------removed---------]

6. Any ideas for prizes? ;)

[14-02-2013 : I also collect people's opinions on servers and add it to vote poll ;) ]

Thanks a lot for your answers, see you soon! :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:35:39 PM by Krzysztof10201 »

nook!e

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »
Im On This excrement Im Like Cristiano Ronaldo Lol Jk.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »
TBH, it shouldn't take a month to do, try to find a weekend/week that people can make.

Krzysztof10201

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
The main problem with tournament's length is match scheduling, that's why it's going to take that long. 2 days per phase is a minimal time: 1 day for scheduling match with opponent and 1 day for play, because:
1) Everyone have their duties - school, work, study, etc., 2) The time zone - as it's a global tournament, we will have 10-hours difference, so it must take some time to schedule a match. but yes, it looked way too long. Already edited this.

I was wondering if we can do whole group phase in 4-5 days, just by setting up groups and matches all vs all will go whenever u can and want. 2 days per quarterfinals-semifinals-finals must be taken. I doubt that we can do it by gathering all people at one strict date - it would be possible if we were about to make only-Euro or only-American cup. In this case, we might need 4 servers, must wait for sign-ups to decide.

In this solution our tournament will take max 11 days. It's not that long, but we must be sure people will play their matches if we want this solution to work. Still believing in people, so I'm going to give it a try.

Krzysztof10201

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 02:20:57 AM »
Yesterday, I came up with the idea to speed up match-scheduling. Last month, I've seen a scheduling table at doodle.com, which looks really simple and the results can be seen for everyone invited to fill it up. I wanted to make one and show here, but it is necessary to make e-mail invitations during creating it.

Every team would just choose as many dates and times in a table as it suits to them. This will help to schedule a match for everyone, as it seems the most problematic part of the tournament.

I would make one table inside Doodle per phase. I'm just wondering if it is necessary to make a table for semi- and finals, as there will be only 2 matches, but as it doesnt make much difference for me, I will create it. The most helpful it will be at the Group Phase, when people will need to schedule with 3 other teams. Oh, and to make it even easier, I will create 1 table per group in Group Phase - it will be clear for everyone with whom they need to schedule.

Now, it is clear that I will need e-mails from people participating in a cup - question removed form votings.

Krzysztof10201

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:43 AM »
As I have the solution for most of the problems, I will probably start s sign-up thread tomorrow. It will last until next Friday. I will write all rules and advices there. You can still vote for my questions.

This thread will be open for everyone until the end of sign-ups. Then, there will be no time for any modifications, keep that in mind guys.

Please, use sign-up topic only for team registration. The official comment section is here.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:08:53 PM by Krzysztof10201 »

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
1. Would you like to have 1 PGP bullet per round at match?
   Yes (0)       No (4)

2. The competition should be:
   2v2 (2)       3v3 (0)

3. Match duration:
   15 minutes (1)      20 minutes (0)       other (i will add if u suggest it)

4. Schedule presented above:
   Everything OK (0)      Phases too long (0)      Phases too short (0)

5. Match scheduling
   [14-2-2012 -------removed---------]

6. Any ideas for prizes? ;)

[14-02-2013 : I also collect people's opinions on servers and add it to vote poll ;) ]

Thanks a lot for your answers, see you soon! :)

1. yes
2. 2v2
3. 15 minutes
4. Everything iOK