Author Topic: Newmap - Corruo Beta 10  (Read 14164 times)

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap - Corruo_Beta 3
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
I guess because of the water reflection?
I guess. But even before I added the water r_speeds were at 5000 on a qbsp fastvis rad.bat
And lowered to about ~3000 on a final compile. After I moved the sun angle from 75 to -30.

Edit: Does anyone with a lower-end computer who has played lag?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
I have a good video card and it lags. The r_speeds were close to 4000 and e poly was high as well. I'm guilty of not using hint brushes either but I'd suggest to :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
I'd remove the water, since the r_speeds are already pretty high, and they effectively double with reflective water enabled.  Also, water doesn't really make sense when there's ice in the middle.  Wouldn't the water be frozen? :)  It doesn't serve any gameplay purpose.

To reduce the r_speeds, there are a couple key things you need to do.
First, you need to bring the walls up or the sky down so they meet.  I can tell from that first screenshot that there's a gap there, so basically different areas of the map aren't "sealed off".  You can "see" over the walls, so the visibility will take that into account and not block as much stuff.  The other thing you need to do is add some visibility blocking to prevent the super long sight lines.  If you stand on the left side of your base, you can see all the way across the map to the left side of the other base, which means the vast majority of the map is potentially visible from that area, causing really high r_speeds.  From the top-down screenshot, you can draw a line all the way from the upper left to the lower right.  Also, if you stand on the right side of the base, the wall directly in front of you has a hole in it (where the ladder comes up).  You need to modify that so that you can't see straight through it.  You could just add another rock wall partway down behind it.

In the zip file you uploaded, the zip was named corruo_beta3, but the map was named coruo_b4 (1 less r, and a different beta number)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: Newmap - Corruo Beta 5
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »
Sorry for the late feedback. Here it is, since you want to do the final release soon.

The sun angle doesn't fit the sky, try something like "sun_angle" "90 -40". That would also help a little bit to get less shadows because of the high walls.

The chrome barrels are useless if all players start with steel barrels. I'd replace the with some more ammo items, maybe.

You added "trracer" "trracer" to one the purple player spawns. Delete that to fix the bad field warning while loading the map.

And some screenshots...

Red: I'd lower the edge to the ground high of the corner.
Green: It would be cool if you can try to improve the alignments of these brushes like you did on the purple side.

Red: I'd would align them that the black line of the texture is in the mid of the brush. Move the faces that the black line fits the black line of the other faces.

Red: This one still needs to be rotated.

Red: Misaligned.

Looks a little bit empty. Maybe you could add the flag texture at the red (mid) or the green (left and right) marks.

All in all a great job so far :)

I'll upload the beta 5 to our beta server soon, that you can test the map and the gameplay online, if not done yet.

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap - Corruo Beta 6
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 06:54:06 AM »
I would like to make this a final if no-one has any feedback to give, I believe it is ready to be released now, all the help given to me is much appreciated.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »
The new flags are looking nice.

What's the minor thing you can't fix?

The sun angle still doesn't fit the sky. Did you try something like "sun_angle" "90 -40"?

Two useless chrome barrels left. You can find them easy when selecting by value (edit>select>by value).

And some pics with easy and fast fixes.

Red: Needs to be rotated.

Red: I'd add clip brushes here. Same for the other base.

Red: I'd move this a little bit like you did at the right side. Some for the other base.

Red: Misaligned.

Red: This edge is already fixed at the other base.

Red: Maybe change some of the corners that the base doesn't look that boxy. Just an idea :)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
Nice one, omni!

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap - Corruo Beta 7
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 10:27:16 AM »
What's the minor thing you can't fix?

That was my bad, second to last pic' thought I couldn't fix it but i did in one base, anyway fixed now.

Here is the sun's angle at 90 -40

And at the default angle

Also I decided to add Koth support because its not played enough, updated with new mapshot as well at the correct scale for a map-shot.

Suprised it got to b7.

File below, enjoy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:32:25 PM by omni »

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
You have two folders with different b7 map files in the zip. Which one is the right? The mapshot is 800 x 600 px, but should be 128 x 128 px. I've attached the correct one, if you want to add it to the zip.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »
It was the corruo_b7 folder, changed now, sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for the mapshot and pointing that out.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
It looks really good :)

Here are some more screens:

There is a complete one in the purple base and a broken one in the yellow base.

It doesn't really matter, but there are different stones.

1. Base: Stone and a ramp on one side.
2. Base: Grass and a ramp on each side.

Maybe you can fix this black line (both bases).

There is a hole behind the barrels. It's not visible for the player, so i would close it (both bases).

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap - Corruo Beta 8
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I missed out removing the chrome barrels in the last beta. Did everything that T3RR0R15T said, the error on the second to last post was created because the tip of the brush hit the skybox.

That's about it, file below.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »

1. Base: Stone and a ramp on one side.
2. Base: Grass and a ramp on each side.

There is grass now, but not on the ramp and the ramp on the other side is still missing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
Played this on the beta server a bit (it's up on the ev1 beta server, by the way).  I enjoyed it.  It's nice to see some of the lower end weapons getting some love.

I've attached a demo just so you can get some reference from another player's point of view -- might give you some ideas on things to improve.  Overall, I don't have any major complaints, but you might consider trying to make some areas flow a little better.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
The gameplay on this map is actually really good. I enjoyed playing it.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I was actually considering coming back to this map, I will start work now when I have time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:22:12 PM by omni »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
my only worry was that I thought people didn't like it
It won the mapping contest, and more than half of the community said they like it. That's usually a good sign.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »
Second place :D

People often say nice things to be nice even though it does not help. Most people commented on aethsetics, not gameplay  as it is hard too/ they haven't played it, and I didn't think the gameplay was too good.

Aah maybe it's me being miserable. Can't check the demo yet as my internet is playing up but I will do later.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »
People often say nice things to be nice even though it does not help.
In real life, that's true. But in this community, we're pretty honest when we don't like something.

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap - Corruo Beta 9
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 05:05:16 AM »
Pretty Much All wrapped up for beta 9;

After seeing the demo there seemed to be lots of areas where you would get stuck or lose momentum. I think ive fixed most of that i presume that's what you meant by 'flow'.

Before I release it I wanted some opinions on the screens below, should i include a pathway in that area. Right now on the side paths they seem to be very isolated from the centre.