Author Topic: Quake/Doom Invincibility  (Read 1893 times)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Quake/Doom Invincibility
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:45:27 AM »
When ever I use the invincibility in Quake/Doom, I want this song to play. How can I do that?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Quake/Doom Invincibility
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »
Just a wild guess, change the sound file of whatever plays when you pick it up/use it?  Might mean unpacking and repacking though.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Just a wild guess, change the sound file of whatever plays when you pick it up/use it?  Might mean unpacking and repacking though.

Since sound doesn't play when you pick up an invulnerability power-up in Quake/Doom, I don't think there's a sound file that I can change. So this may require a little modding.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
why do you care for a sound so much? and modding anything isn't a good idea, might get you banned in the end.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
why do you care for a sound so much? and modding anything isn't a good idea, might get you banned in the end.

1. Pwning Stroggs with the Super Mario Bros. invincibility sound playing makes you feel like a boss.

2. I tried playing this game online, but every server I tried to join either requires me to have an anti-cheat software that's incompatible with my OS or they have custom content that takes forever to download. Also, when playing Doom, you're forced to use the wads on the server.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »
Since sound doesn't play when you pick up an invulnerability power-up in Quake/Doom, I don't think there's a sound file that I can change. So this may require a little modding.
You sure?  There's one for picking it up, and there's more sound for it wearing off.  Same as using a quad in quake.  Surely those would be isolated sound files.  Although I can't remember what its like playing online but, because I think you can pick up and use later in that case, in which case it would be only when used, not when picked up.

Just tested it, so for example with Quake 1, go open up pak0.pak, check out the sound files.  damage.wav's are for quad, inv.wav's are for invulnerability, and yeah it got the use and wearing off sounds as well.  Not gonna try replacing them, I'm happy with my sounds.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »
I managed to do it (in Quake 1)!

I replaced the protect sound file (the file that plays when you pick up the invulnerability) with the starman sound. Since the invulnerability in Quake 1 lasts 30 seconds, I had to reduce the length of the song.

Then I replaced the protect2 and protect3 sound files with sound files that have no sound.

Unfortunately, it's a little quiet and when ever certain sounds happen they make the invincibility sound immediately stop.

The next thing I'll have to do is replace the pentagram model with the starman model.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:12 AM »
Unfortunately, it's a little quiet and when ever certain sounds happen they make the invincibility sound immediately stop.
That's probably because it's meant to only go for a second or so, or just a limitation since the game is quite old....  From what I recall last time unpacking q2, there was some sound files there so it should be possible as well, never unpacked 3 or 4 though so got no idea there, same with doom.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
Quake one and two (not sure about other ones) have a limited number of sound channels, which are usually only used for one type of sound, so I guess other pickup sounds or misc sounds will replace the invuln sound if they are triggered while it's playing. The system wasn't designed for music.