Author Topic: What to do about my high ping?  (Read 2278 times)

TurtlesRock

• PGP
What to do about my high ping?
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:31:53 AM »
When I first started playing this game I used to have a ping around 70. And after a while I stopped playing for a year or so. I just recently started playing paintball again. Quite a bit has changed but I still had a decent ping. But a couple of days ago my family got a new modem and router installed. And now I'm lucky if I can find a server to play on under 200. o_o And my ping in most, if not all, servers is 200+. At the very least most of the time.

I think the new modem we got is from a different company. But the router is from the same company as the previous router. And we still have the same internet connection as before. Is there anything I can do to get my ping down? Does it have anything to do with my router? I would really like to play without so much lag. I can handle a little lag. But what I'm getting now just seems ridiculous. :(

Also, sorry if this is not posted in the right section. This is only my 3rd time posting in the forums. :/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:08:42 AM by TurtlesRock »

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Re: What to do about my high ping?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:08:48 AM »
Well
1. you could move closer to the server host.
2. put up with it like me i usually have 200-350
because i live in Australia
most servers are around America, Germany , poland or something like that. If you are near those locations.
Then its possibly your router.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Also scan for malware I think they can take a strain on a network especially if downloading a payload or worse, like if you are part of a p2p botnet or something like that.

Malwarebytes Anti Malware
Hitman Pro
TDSS Killer
Etc.

Edit: It's not likely but you better be sure.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
oh sorry
sometimes it can be your cpu usage and stuff as well.
computer specs?

TurtlesRock

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
I think there is something wrong with my computer and I do plan to do a clean install soon. But despite that, it was working fine before I changed routers and stuff. :(

I think my specs are:

Processor: Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2.60GHz
Installed Memory(RAM): 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
System Type: 64 bit Operating System

Is there more I should mention?

If that is the case then maybe it's a combination of both. Hopefully it works out after I fix my computer. (Which I hope will be soon) I will come back with an update after that. :/

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
What version(build) digital paint are you running? You may need to update digital paint: go to Dplogin.com->downloads->update to the newest bulid which should be the first file link.

One more question what is the name of your ISP, because there could have been a change in "routing". "routing" means how the information is traveled to a different server, so in your case it could be that the ISP changed the "routing" and now it takes longer for the information to be sent/received (which is what pings are) to a particular area, server, company, and or IP. The change in routing is usually done to decrease "pings" in a particular area, server, company, and or IP, but done at a cost to other places, which then those places have an increase in "pings". An example of this was done by Telus, an ISP, and people who had Telus had crazy pings, like yours.

There might have been something else that may had happened, the "new modem"  maybe is not as powerfull as the "old modem" and therefore less distribution of speed that is provided by the ISP. Or there maybe an update(s) you need to install on your computer. Or you may need to check if some one is using that "Internet speed" (which is the speed provided by the ISP), parents/sibillings that maybe downloading files,etc... Or the ISP is not providing you with the "internet speed" that you ordered for, if you know your "internet speed" then go to www.speedtest.com, this will tell you what speed you are getting. If you dont know your "internet speed" then call your ISP. And if things don't match then tell them that you are not receiving the "Internet speed" that you had signed up for, and therefore your ISP might be breaking the contract. If all else fails, then tell whoever that changed your modem/router to bring back the same router that you had or a new one, and try dpb2
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:58:17 PM by Toxiic »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
Don't listen to toxiic. He isn't allowed to play this game. He has lost the privilege and also can not give any advice that you should listen to due to his lying and deceiving nature.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
Haha that second paragraph was a good laugh.

Try running a trace route and see if packets get stuck somewhere for a while (in this instance check whether its at the modem/router for a long time), or travels long jumps that it shouldn't.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »
if all else fails your new modem may need updating on your its drivers etc. i did it once with mine but forgot how. somewhere in the control panel you can do it.