Author Topic: Neon: Final Release  (Read 42020 times)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: NEON Beta 5: Goodbye Lag! (Next release may be final)
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2013, 04:20:25 AM »
I'll post feedback these days. Please make an other Beta with the new lighting first. It's a big change you shouldn't do for a final release without a step between.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2013, 07:36:15 AM »
OK then, neon beta 6 will come later this morning.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Looks nice so far. Some very cool texture combinations.

Unfortunately the r_speeds go up to 7000 in some parts of the map. I hope you can fix this a little bit, maybe with some hint bruhes or make sure that no face of the water reflect.

For the lighting I'll wait for the next beta. It's really hard to navigate at the moment.

You could add "gamemode""4" and "maxteams" "2" to the worldspawn.

To fix the bad field warning while loading the map you need to delete the value key on the low count flags.

And a few screenshots...

Red: There are vis errors on different ladders. Maybe detailing them or moving them a few units might help.
Green: Rotate this textures.

Red: I'd avoid this hole and make the top brush bigger.

Red: One more ladder. Looks like you forgot a small brush here. Or another vis error?

Red: vis error, try to move the arrow a little bit to fix this.

Red: Wrong textures.

Red: Also some missing brushes or vis error?

Red: I'd use the same textures here. Also the other base looks different.

Red: Maybe rotate the texture for these barrels.

Red: Looks a little bit weird. I'd make this brush bigger to avoid the hole on the right side.

Green: Same texture rotation for this barrel.
Red: Misaligned.

Red: I'd try to avoid splitting this texture, looks not very well. Make it a little bit smaller or bigger.
Green: Try to align these faces, bright<>bright and dark<>dark.

Red: Same here. Try to align these wood textures. Moving it a little bit would look more realistic.

Red: I'd rotate these faces.

Red: Move it up like you did on the blue side. Or just make it same :)

Red: Wrong texture!?

Red: Maybe it would look better to use to color texture for this small face, too. You did that for the left floor on the pic already.

Beta 5 is online @ [OTB] Beta!

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: NEON Beta 6: Less than a day until final!
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »
Download neon_b6.zip here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izR0FSOXRhZFlsR0U/edit?usp=sharing

NEON Beta 6 is here! I have fixed the lighting to make it brighter (but not close to as bright as beta 2) and I've made various other tweaks, such as removing the useless tunnel.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: NEON Beta 6: Less than a day until final!
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
A few quick things - I've been meaning to put together a demo with more specifics:

Lighting: Still a bit too dark in many areas.  I have a bit of glare on my monitor right now, and I really have to strain to see things in some areas.  Try this -- go into your video options, gamma/brightness settings, enable hardware gamma, then crank the gamma slider all the way to the left.  That will give you an idea of what some people see your map like.  You should be able to navigate easily and see other players like that.  If not, your map is too dark.  Some areas have random bright light with no source... looks weird (ex: center of map).  I don't like the light above "NEON".  It gets in the way and defeats the purpose of having the letters illuminated anyway...

R_Speeds:  Way too high.  I think you need to redo the center are of the map to block visibility.

Flow: A lot of the paths feel very awkward to get to and navigate.

Base: Stairs next to flag are very framerate dependent.  Try walking up them with cl_maxfps 10 and you'll see what I mean.

Lots of little texture alignment issues and such like Chef-Killer pointed out.

Until you revamp the map to reduce the r_speeds and get some solid play testing done on it, I don't think it's close to being final yet.  It is looking a lot better, though.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: NEON: Final Release
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
This is the final release of NEON! You can download the final version here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izZWNkai0wZW5Dcm8/edit?usp=sharing

So, this is it folks! The best final map that has been released this week! I highly encourage you to try it out, see how you like it, and add it to your server to see what other people think of it.

EDIT: Not final lol
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:08:16 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
:/ a simple bsp would do. too lazy to unzip that

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
Nice Baseballdude, I like it!

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 05:27:36 AM »
(This is from my laptop)
Need to be fixed IMO:
-All the water, it kills my fps. (300+ down to low 40's).
-rspeeds are very high in some areas.
-Some barrels and other textures misaligned (as previously stated by someone else)

Otherwise, map seems like it's coming a long nicely. I don't think it's quite ready for a final release, but it's very close!

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
I agree with jitspoe and Rick, it doesn't play well at the moment and need some more improvements. Also there's no chance to test anything if you do a final release 10 hours (sleeping and working :P) after the last beta.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
I played this map on a large pub (about 25 players, most of them n00bs but a few good players) and gameplay actually went very well, I received many compliments, and I didn't even win by that much. So yeah, this is final.

EDIT: no it's not lol
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:09:03 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
Why does the words NEON (in the middle of the map) have different colors?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
Why does the words NEON (in the middle of the map) have different colors?
Because neon discharges every colour.... duh.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »
Honestly better then most newbies mapping today but its just to ugly for me to look at

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
Honestly better then most newbies mapping today but its just to ugly for me to look at
That's not very constructive. :\  What parts do you find ugly?

Before you consider this final, you really need to, at the bare minimum, fix the r_speeds issue.  Performance is going to be a problem.  And with a lot of players likely to be visible at once, since there's not a lot of visibility blocking, it's going to be even worse.

I've attached a demo with some more thorough feedback.  Forgot to point out some of the ladder texture issues, but I think Chef-Killer already pointed those out.  Also, the light in the middle with no source looks bad.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »
I mean the Bright colors its just not appealing at all to me. Hurts my eyes and head.

From the SS's it looks like he did a decent job mapping. Im not saying the maps a fail, im just saying the neon lights suck for me. This is his first map he has completed right? He did a good job constructing it from the SS's.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »
When I play Paintball 2 I normally get 1,000 FPS but when I play this map sometimes I get less than 300 FPS.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: NEON: Final Release is probably not final!
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I actually played this map on someone else's computer and realized that it's too dark. So I will make another final where everything that you mentioned will be fixed. Maybe not some of the opinion stuff, but definitely the technical errors.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I actually played this map on someone else's computer and realized that it's too dark. So I will make another final where everything that you mentioned will be fixed. Maybe not some of the opinion stuff, but definitely the technical errors.
So you'll be fixing the r_speeds, good. :)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
So you'll be fixing the r_speeds, good. :)
That is one of the things I will do, problem is I'm not sure what I should do to fix r_speeds without changing gameplay too much. Any ideas anyone?