Author Topic: Newmap: Inspiration  (Read 18444 times)

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Newmap: Inspiration
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:44:18 AM »
I Named this inspiration because it was inspired(see next post)
###
2 flags each base
5 points for bottom flag
3 for top
base is at bottom flag
5+ player map.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:41:26 AM by deadfroggy »

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Re: Newmap: Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:45:27 AM »
My inspiration(picture at the bottom) posted by jitspoe in the thread inspirational pictures for mapping.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
you're actually getting a bit better but the only thing this inspired me to do was gauge my eyes out.

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
You are really getting better and you don't need to answer the stupid posts that will follow here from the usual suspects. For the future you need to learn how to adjust the textures, keep on working.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
cl_drawhud 0

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »
A little bit better.. I've said this to you once before and Ill say it again. You need to spend more time detailing your maps. Improvement but still needs work.

Some minor things you can do for detail is to not use the same texture for the whole map :). On the insides of the windows try making it metal or wood. Sometimes I'll use color to help indicate which base you are in. I look at these SS's and that darn brick is all over!

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »
i really appreciate all the compliments of me getting better now.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:57:33 AM by deadfroggy »

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
and if you were really smart you would google melloncollie. and i found out the word melloncollie is used in the movie skyfall.

I never watched Skyfall. My nicks are "MellonCollie" and "Pumpkinhead", because my favourite CDs are "Siamese Dream" and "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" by Smashing Pumpkins.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
ah ok i watched skyfall and he looks at the painting and says makes me feel a little melloncollie.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
Suzuki have you done anything this entire time besides troll deadfroggy?

Back on topic. This map needs more texture variety. The same exact stone block texture throughout the map looks boring. I would also encourage you to release each beta edition as if it's the last beta before the final. That way, you won't get redundant criticism pointing out things that you were already going to fix anyway.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
when i do something i like to split it into sections and do it each section. ill probably change most of the textures in next beta or the one after i just wanted a base texture and body to the map. if you know what i mean.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
k a real tip, you need to start thinking about how you're going to map, are you gunna make maps for public servers or match maps? you can't do a variation of both. it just doesn't work. i can explain in detail on how to make maps for pubs and matchs but that's a ts3 kind of talk. not gunna type a novel for you to read. 

P.S - making maps for the hell of it isn't really helping the community, if you're going to do that, you're better off not making them at all. just work on your map making skill and don't release every map you make, because everyone you have released has been under-par. but it's good you're working on making better ones. If you want help with ideas/maplooks send me a pm on here and i'll be honoured to beta test for you. Making maps that people will play in matchs and are thriving to play on pubs will greatly increase the gameplay and players alone will start getting attracted. Honestly imo the reason why people don't play is because there are horrible maps that take no brain to play.

BTW - this isn't to hurt your e-feelings, constructive criticism 

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
ill be able to get beta 2 out in a couple of days been busy.
and chemical why dont you give me ideas for this map?

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
havnt looked at it yet, i will when i get the chance to.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
The biggest problem with this map, I think, is the balance of the paths.  If you jump down and take the bottom (water) path, somebody could probably cap on you 3 times before you made it to the other base.

Other issues:
- With the block texture you're using, you should probably align everything on a 32 unit grid so the blocks align cleanly.
- The capture point is not clearly indicated.
- Lots of wood alignment issues.
- Ladders are difficult to climb (should probably use the ladder hint brush trick).

I wouldn't worry about the last 2 until you revamp the layout, though.  The paths should take roughly the same amount of time to travel, otherwise there's no point going low.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 03:56:35 AM »
B2 Is out
added a couple things.
Thanks for the feedback jitspoe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
I think you should probably wait until your maps are a little more complete before releasing them as beta.  "Beta" usually means "complete but needs testing and minor tweaks".  A lot of your maps seem to be still in the WIP (work in progress) stage, which I think is hurting your reputation.  You should spend the time completing and fixing things you know need work, then when the map is done from your point of view, release it as a beta for community feedback.

Some things to focus on:
- Make your paths clear, fun, and balanced.  Time the different paths and make adjustments so it takes roughly the same amount of time to take each path.
- Align textures as you go.  You have a bunch of wood detail.  Making a wood brush, aligning it, then copy/pasting it is a lot faster than making a whole bunch of them, then going back and aligning them later.  Also, in the case of the block textures, a lot of times it's easier to build the brush so it aligns with the texture rather than the other way around.  A lot of the brushes are .5 or 1.5 blocks thick.  If you make them 1 block thick, they'll be aligned for the most part (you may need to rotate or shift some of the block textures, or shift the brushes so they align).
- Watch your r_speeds.  Lots of detail + open areas + reflective water = high r_speeds and low framerates for some players.  Try to keep your details to areas where not a lot of stuff is going on and you can afford the extra polygons.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:26 PM »
This is my take on your base (Obviously not the whole thing!) I think you could make it look a lot better, so just keep trying!

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »
I think i should change it to something like that even in my eyes i think the map is a little high..
Sorry been really busy.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
This is my take on your base (Obviously not the whole thing!) I think you could make it look a lot better, so just keep trying!
I personally don't like that water technique because there's nothing to hold it back except the sky, which looks bad.