Author Topic: Server help  (Read 7322 times)

RaiN

• PGP
Server help
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
Alright i am very confused. People say that you dont need to port forward if you have a modem. everything works for my server but it just doesn't show up on others peoples list.

please help me

TRION

• 68 Carbine
Re: Server help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Well i had a modem but i still had to forward my ports. So i think it could be a solution for you. which company is ur modem?

RaiN

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:31:53 AM »
i have a RCA modom and linksys router

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »
do you use windows xp if so go down to your taskbar and go to the part thats the icon saying you connected to the router. right click it go towindows firewall settings or something like that. go to exceptions. and then go to add program

then set as:
 name: server
port: 27910
udp

then press ok. then name the shortcut on your desktop for your server. server. and it should be all good depending iif your router hates you. it has a password and username on the router or your computer hates you. thats just an easy way i know for windows xp.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:19:41 AM »
Alright i am very confused. People say that you dont need to port forward if you have a modem. everything works for my server but it just doesn't show up on others peoples list.

please help me

It isn't that you don't need to port forward if you have a modem. You don't have to port forward if you ONLY have a modem and no router.  

Routers have firewalls, the default settings on these firewalls is to block incoming traffic on almost all ports.  By port forwarding on your router, you are telling it to allow all traffic on a specific port (paintball2 default port is 27910) and forward it to your computer (which is where the internal IP address comes in).

Everyone with cable/dsl has a modem, but not everyone has a router.  Some of them are a two-in-one device.  Just remember the point of port forwarding is to allow specific traffic passed your routers firewall.

Follow this guide for help port forwarding:  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17726.0
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:06:42 AM by SuperMAn »

RaiN

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
ok now that i port fowarded now what do i do? And my friend still cant find my server... i had him type in console connect 192.246.40.37.... he says it just keeps loading and loading

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »
ok now that i port fowarded now what do i do? And my friend still cant find my server... i had him type in console connect 192.246.40.37.... he says it just keeps loading and loading

You probably didn't do the port forwarding properly.

Also make sure that there are no errors when you start your server.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »

Going off what you just said, you need to also specify the port, so by default it would be:

Code: [Select]
connect 192.246.40.37:27910

RaiN

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
ok i think it worked but when i open the paintball shortcut (server) i look at the bottom and it says sending heartbeat ........ then it says heartbeat acknowledged does that mean it will show up on the list?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
Going off what you just said, you need to also specify the port, so by default it would be:
Code: [Select]
connect 192.246.40.37:27910

It will automatically use the default port if you don't include it.  Only need to include it if you've changed the server port.

ok i think it worked but when i open the paintball shortcut (server) i look at the bottom and it says sending heartbeat ........ then it says heartbeat acknowledged does that mean it will show up on the list?

It should if you've done the port forwarding properly.

RaiN

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
ok 1 more question would I also have to port forward on my modom too?

thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
maybe, as explained by Superman. It is nothing bad in trying it out. It would just make your server better. So in all cases I really advise port forwarding whether you have router or not.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
ok 1 more question would I also have to port forward on my modom too?

thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it
No, your modem won't contain a firewall, unless it is a router itself as well.  You said above that you have a modem AND a router, so the router is the only one that you will need to port forward, as it is the only device which contains a firewall.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
maybe, as explained by Superman. It is nothing bad in trying it out. It would just make your server better. So in all cases I really advise port forwarding whether you have router or not.

This is wrong, you are really misunderstanding the reason why you need to port forward.  Cameron is correct.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
if we do try port forwarding in modem then would he/she suffer any problems?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 01:19:19 AM »
if we do try port forwarding in modem then would he/she suffer any problems?
Routers have firewalls, the default settings on these firewalls is to block incoming traffic on almost all ports.  By port forwarding on your router, you are telling it to allow all traffic on a specific port (paintball2 default port is 27910) and forward it to your computer (which is where the internal IP address comes in).
There is no firewall on a device which is ONLY a modem.  You port forward to allow traffic THROUGH the firewall.  Therefore no firewall = no port forwarding.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
Actually, port forwarding doesn't have anything to do with firewalls.  It's so the router knows which computer to send incoming connections to.

Example:

Computer 1 <---
Computer 2 <--- Router <--- Modem <--- Internet <--- Client
Computer 3 <---

The IP just gets you to the router.  From there, you have to forward the port to the appropriate computer, so the router knows if you want to connect to computer 1, 2, or 3.

Firewalls simply filter/block certain traffic (which can also cause problems, so you need to make sure that port is open on your firewall as well, if you have one).

RaiN: Part of the problem is that you're telling your friend to connect to what looks like your LAN IP address.  192.* is usually LAN IP's.  Unless he's wired directly into your router, he won't be able to connect with that IP.  He needs your external IP (you can get that from ipchicken.com or a number of other places that will display your IP address).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:40:44 AM by jitspoe »

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »
Quote from: jitspoe link=topic=25874.msg232626#msg232626
date=1365719319
Actually, port forwarding doesn't have anything to do with routers.  It's so the router knows which computer to send incoming connections to.

That doesn't make much sense does it =p.  But yeah.. you are right.  A lot of home routers auto-configure the firewall when you set up port forwarding so I like to just to combine the two when explaining.  People don't end up understanding anyways.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 08:41:02 AM »
I meant to say it doesn't have anything to do with firewalls.  Fixed. :)

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
Then it also involves firewalls when it blocks incoming connections into your computer. you have to allow it through the firewall unless your walls broken ;). Then you need bob the builder to fix it.