Author Topic: New Map:sPec Training Camp  (Read 2772 times)

TRION

• 68 Carbine
New Map:sPec Training Camp
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:32:51 AM »
JMR had made a map which he never released because it had many glitches like high r_speeds(about ppoly 5600) & misalignments
It was made when he was leading TJT clan.
Now as he is in sPec I thought of rebuilding the map using lesser polygons and adding sPec instead of TJT.
I made it look less empty by adding jumps and more obstacles where ever possible. Also the older map had useless things which I didn't put in mine like the poison ray which had too many r_speeds attached.
Also it looks better in the night sky. I lowered some jumps and removed the sky which disallowed some jumps. Hope JMR like it :D . please give your feedback
(attaching a demo would be better :) )
 We Are sPecial! We Are ONE!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:56:42 AM by TRION »

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: New Map:sPec Training Camp
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
More like a small funmap

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
well I made it to practice every type of possible jump in dp2 but keeping polygons less. So I made it small but it can fulfill the training
for sT members :D some of them need to practice more on basics which this map provides :)

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
cool map, you should make a ctf version.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:47 AM »
How can it support ctf ?? As it is just for sT mems so they can train in single player mode and I didn't put the tutorial for many gamemodes as it is already present in the tutorial1.bsp.
Well if could make a nav file I could have put bots which show how to do each jump. it would be cool :D

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »
really nice trion! good work :D

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »
Message removed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:09:53 PM by JMR »

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
How can it support ctf ?? As it is just for sT mems so they can train in single player mode and I didn't put the tutorial for many gamemodes as it is already present in the tutorial1.bsp.
Well if could make a nav file I could have put bots which show how to do each jump. it would be cool :D

What I meant is keep the overall theme and geometry similar but make a map meant for CTF. That'll also keep JMR happy, hopefully?

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
ok working on it as I would keep the factory in my ctf map
working on it ty for the idea :)

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »
ok working on it as I would keep the factory in my ctf map
working on it ty for the idea :)
yep

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
It's cool to have a little map to train your clan on and such, but I don't know that you really want to release it publicly.

Since you've posted it, though, I'll give some feedback:

- Linux is case sensitive, so you should keep your filename lowercase.
- Making text out of brushes usually looks bad.  If you really feel the need to do it, spend some time and make the letters properly proportioned and whatnot.
- Wood grain should almost always be aligned along the length of boards.
- The lighting indoors is super bright and completely washed out.  Try using multiple, well-placed, darker lights instead.  The lighting in general needs a lot of work.  Lighting can really make or break a map's visuals.
- The transparent yellow boxes don't work very well to jump on - they're visually difficult to determine when to jump in your peripheral vision.
- Needs better texture selection rather than solid/riveted metal everywhere.