Author Topic: Community Mapping Project  (Read 18718 times)

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: Community Mapping Project
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Chef-Killer made dome with 2 hills koth mode.

We play stack on the [OTB] Speed server often and a lot players like it. But the server is almost empty since i mad minclientbuild 38. Don't know why the players don't want an update. There should maybe be a permanent big "update available"-message in the main menu instead of the popup message one time.

I just think its the fact that everyone who downloads this game is under the age of 14 and doesn't know how to update their client.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
Chef-Killer made dome with 2 hills koth mode.

We play stack on the [OTB] Speed server often and a lot players like it. But the server is almost empty since i mad minclientbuild 38. Don't know why the players don't want an update. There should maybe be a permanent big "update available"-message in the main menu instead of the popup message one time.
Should really be auto updates.

Anyway, how are we feeling about this guys?

Want to still do Koth?

HaRmonY

• VM-68
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 06:09:44 AM »
I'd be interested, too.
+1 for Industrial

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
No let's stick with CTF. There's a reason it's by far the most popular game mode, and that reason is because it's the best mode.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »
No let's stick with CTF. There's a reason it's by far the most popular game mode, and that reason is because it's the best mode.
Why is it the best? I've played Koth a max of 20 times in 7-8years, as there isn't many quality maps for it.
Also, does this mean you want to take part in this?

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »
we have enough CTF maps :)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »
I'm game.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
KotH industrial 3 hills gogogo

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
If the three-hill idea is used, is the intention to give all three hills equal weight or to give the central hill a higher importance?

Being able to change the spawn point of players according to which points their team have captured would also help to move gameplay along, I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to do using various triggers, func_doors and teleports.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
If someone would like to start drawing up a plan it'd be really awesome! I don't have much time until next week, so it'd help out a lot!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
I'm trying to think of what a good setting would be.  Most industrial settings have obscene amounts of detail (beams, pipes, machinery, etc. everywhere) with little blocking visibility.  I think we'd have to go for more of a classic brick building type setting, but setting that up in such a way that the hills would be easily accessible/in line of sight from each other is going to be difficult.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
Perhaps an energy plant site would make a good setting, using structures such as reactor towers as VIS blockers while generally keeping an open environment.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
Power plants are very open with lots of detail.  The reactors are generally just out in the open, so they wouldn't block anything...

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
Not just the reactors themselves, but with a combination of other buildings. The immediate area around the reactors are not always as open as you might think, depends mostly on the plant and its location.

Assuming players wouldn't be able to get on top of the reactors/buildings and see everything, even something fairly simple as the following could suffice, although modifications to suit two teams would obviously be needed.

Using the above screenshot, maybe something like this. Making the starred buildings the tallest (apart from the reactors) would arguably provide a fair amount of blockage.

Obviously, this is just an example, so don't take this specific layout so seriously.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:05:27 PM by musickid999 »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
I actually live next to one, maybe i can get some pictures*. (I Highly Doubt it though..)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:31:30 PM by RoBiNandL!nk »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
There is that one map that i liked very much with the moving conveyor belts and such. I'm sure you guys know the one I am thinking of. It's and indoors industrial map. I don't see why the map has to be outside?

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:36 AM »
There is that one map that i liked very much with the moving conveyor belts and such. I'm sure you guys know the one I am thinking of. It's and indoors industrial map. I don't see why the map has to be outside?

I think you mean "coi". Yea that map looks pretty good.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »

they used a lot of custom textures to make it look good. That map doesn't play that good, maybe for death match because when you play on ctf there is 1 fast way and the rest are slow.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 04:51:25 AM »
I'm trying to think of what a good setting would be.  Most industrial settings have obscene amounts of detail (beams, pipes, machinery, etc. everywhere) with little blocking visibility.  I think we'd have to go for more of a classic brick building type setting, but setting that up in such a way that the hills would be easily accessible/in line of sight from each other is going to be difficult.
It's going to be hard, but we have a lot of determined mappers. Hopefully we'll be able to work it out together.

Not just the reactors themselves, but with a combination of other buildings. The immediate area around the reactors are not always as open as you might think, depends mostly on the plant and its location.

Assuming players wouldn't be able to get on top of the reactors/buildings and see everything, even something fairly simple as the following could suffice, although modifications to suit two teams would obviously be needed.

Using the above screenshot, maybe something like this. Making the starred buildings the tallest (apart from the reactors) would arguably provide a fair amount of blockage.

Obviously, this is just an example, so don't take this specific layout so seriously.  ;D
Sounds like a cool idea, just would make it very hard to block vis.

I actually live next to one, maybe i can get some pictures*. (I Highly Doubt it though..)
That'd be kind of cool ;)

That would be coi! (Like Spain said). Dr Rick Dagless MD, amazing mapper.

Looks amazing.

I'm currently in my exam period, but after that, I will have a month or so off. This is a great idea, we just had to push.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 05:09:12 AM »
I've just finished my exams so I'll be willing to put the hours and the effort in as I have a lot of time off. I'm surprised by the amount of people wanting to participate maybe there are too many would it be better to split off into two teams and make two maps or do people prefer working in one large group?

Anyway I'm up for this.