Author Topic: Inprogress: Subsewer (Like, very inprogress. Not even nearly complete).  (Read 7155 times)

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Not even black for me. I get light shadows there.

I reckon since theres not many good DM maps out there you could also make this DM map aswell.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:05:04 PM by deadfroggy »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
I like the look.  Using subtle colored lighting (shot 2) to indicate team areas could work really well -- enough to let you know where things are, but not so glaring that it breaks the immersion of the map.

I few suggestions:
- Maybe lower the guard rails so it doesn't look like they're designed for 12 foot tall giants and that you can crouch under them.
- Add a very small light value to the white light texture so it looks like it's emitting light, rather than a white box with a light source near it.

As far as the layout goes, I kind of picture the catwalk being a central location -- perhaps 1 of 2 middle paths.  Maybe you could have a control room as an alternative path.  I think having unique visuals for each path makes maps easier to learn and recon.

So, just an idea for a layout:

From the base, 2 paths out, paths join into an area where they can overlap, then split again to the catwalk and control room middle areas.

To the base, maybe you could have an additional high path (pipe or vent) that would let you drop in near the flag.

Just some ideas... take 'em or leave 'em.

I was going to ask about the HR4 textures (I was hoping to check this out with the HR4 textures I had done, but it meant copying them over to your texture directory), but it sounds like this is just a temporary thing?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
I like the look.  Using subtle colored lighting (shot 2) to indicate team areas could work really well -- enough to let you know where things are, but not so glaring that it breaks the immersion of the map.

I few suggestions:
- Maybe lower the guard rails so it doesn't look like they're designed for 12 foot tall giants and that you can crouch under them.
- Add a very small light value to the white light texture so it looks like it's emitting light, rather than a white box with a light source near it.

As far as the layout goes, I kind of picture the catwalk being a central location -- perhaps 1 of 2 middle paths.  Maybe you could have a control room as an alternative path.  I think having unique visuals for each path makes maps easier to learn and recon.

So, just an idea for a layout:

From the base, 2 paths out, paths join into an area where they can overlap, then split again to the catwalk and control room middle areas.

To the base, maybe you could have an additional high path (pipe or vent) that would let you drop in near the flag.

Just some ideas... take 'em or leave 'em.

I was going to ask about the HR4 textures (I was hoping to check this out with the HR4 textures I had done, but it meant copying them over to your texture directory), but it sounds like this is just a temporary thing?
-Yeah, haha. I'll give it a shot when I get some time.
-Ah, I totally forgot. Very easy fix ;)

Yeah, I pictured the catwalk being the central location too. Yeah, a control room is a pretty cool idea.

I like 'To the base, maybe you could have an additional high path (pipe or vent) that would let you drop in near the flag.' that idea, the first one is growing on me! When I get time, I'll try drawing up a design of some sort.

I'll quickly fast vis with the pball texture. One sec!

Edit: Attached

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
I wish I knew why the forum attachments sometimes fail to download like that.  I can't get your file. :\

Edit: Fortunately I own the server and could download the file manually.

I was actually referring to the other textures, since I haven't done the wall one yet, but I already copied them over to take a look at it -- looks good.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Subsewer Alpha 2

Changes:
Just some little things!

Download:
HERE

(Download button is near the bottom)
(DO NOT DOWNLOAD ILIVID)

@Jitspoe:
When trying to upload this I received an error:
"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.".

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Yeah, I increased the size of the upload folder.  Guess we've hit 2 gigs already. :\

deadfroggy

• Autococker
Yeah, I increased the size of the upload folder.  Guess we've hit 2 gigs already. :\
oh wow.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Ah! Thanks for that.