Author Topic: Do clip brushes stop leaks? My leak line file wont open  (Read 6030 times)

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
Do clip brushes stop leaks? My leak line file wont open
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »
Do clip brushes seal off leaks? I have my map sealed 100% I triple checked and there are not leaks. Some of it is sealed off with clip brushes. It keeps saying ****leaked****...
When I try to open my leak line file it crashes bsp...I don't what to do...

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: Do clip brushes stop leaks? My leak line file wont open
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
no clip brushes don't get rendered or w/e while compiling they do not fix leaks, you need a solid brush not a clip brush.

When I try to open my leak line file it crashes bsp...I don't what to do...
something might be wrong with ur .lin file it happened to me once, quite annoying..

I have no idea how to fix it either.. I think you have to open it as a text document or something..

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
So I open in Notepad then what?

Anyway I don't want a solid brush its an outdoor map. If I make a solid brush and use no draw then it makes stuff invisible that it is in front of and also players can't shoot through it.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
As already said, use solid brushes instead of clip brushes to close your map. Sky
brushes should work, too.

For the leak check you can try this bsp version:
ftp://otb-server.de/pub/BSP%20-%20Map%20Editor/BSP_setup.exe

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
So I open in Notepad then what?

Anyway I don't want a solid brush its an outdoor map. If I make a solid brush and use no draw then it makes stuff invisible that it is in front of and also players can't shoot through it.

What are you trying to make?... there has to be an alternative if its the roof use sky but if you describe what you're using clip brushes for there might be an alternative.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
What are you trying to make?... there has to be an alternative if its the roof use sky but if you describe what you're using clip brushes for there might be an alternative.

My skybox does fix leaks but I though using big boxes around map was bad thing, when I remove the skybox i get leaks. I did a fastvis compile with skybox and i get high r_speeds even when im behind a single wall i get poly count of 2000.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
you dont use the sky all around your map, only on the top... it should go like this

Sky
          |__________|

Floor

and not like this

|     |                  |             |
    |     |                  |   Wall    |   <---- all sky
    |     |                     <--Leak |
    |      |__________|            |
    |                                      |        <-- This is what mappers call a skybox
    |              Floor                 |
    |_____________________|

horrible diagram... lol

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
This is what mappers call a skybox

Nah man... the skybox is the 'virtual' box that appears through sky textures :) That's just a box of sky :D

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
The most efficient way is to replace the clip brushes with sky brushes. But if you want to shoot through them, then make a small skybox just around that particular area.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
That doesn't make sense to me right now, can you draw a picture or send a map file?

You can't shoot through a sky, so why would I put it on top of a wall, if say I have an open courtyard area? Currently my map has a a sky box around it, which is just a brush I made into a room brush. A room brush is just 6 block brushes forming a room, its not just one single brush. The skybox is hollow. Having a single brush as a skybox wouldn't work.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
If your map is "outdoors", then the "walls" would be sky brushes. However, that looks fugly, so usually, people put cliffs or other walls in the way, so the map doesn't abruptly stop.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
i'll just send you my map and tell me if im doing anything wrong.

thing is i did a fastvis compile and it didnt seem to reduce the r_speeds compared to a qbsp compile.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
Just replace your clip brushes with sky brushes and you should be good to go.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »
clip brushes don*t close the leak.
as
    - leak means that an entity can get out of the world.
    - you can shoot trough a clip brush - paint entity gets outside = leak

thing is i did a fastvis compile and it didnt seem to reduce the r_speeds compared to a qbsp compile.
fastvis is not the best tool... use a normal vis, and i would recommend to use a final compile(depends on the power of your CPU/RAM) If the r_speeds are still high then you probably should have a look at the structure of your map again.

You can't shoot through a sky, so why would I put it on top of a wall, if say I have an open courtyard area? Currently my map has a a sky box around it, which is just a brush I made into a room brush. A room brush is just 6 block brushes forming a room, its not just one single brush. The skybox is hollow. Having a single brush as a skybox wouldn't work.
The skybox is not a room around your map... It sounds like you just put 6 sky brushes around your map. Just have a look at these testmaps.

If you jump down on test_bad you can see the skybox around you.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »
Just replace your clip brushes with sky brushes and you should be good to go.
If I do that then people who happen to shoot upward will have their paint randomly bounce off an invisible ceiling.

Also I tried a final compile but it hung up. I will try again soon.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
When you say hung up, do you mean froze. Chances are it probably didn't it just takes a long time. Using bsp_sse2 or something like that; goes much quicker or it did for me.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
When you say hung up, do you mean froze. Chances are it probably didn't it just takes a long time. Using bsp_sse2 or something like that; goes much quicker or it did for me.
thanks ill try it

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
If I do that then people who happen to shoot upward will have their paint randomly bounce off an invisible ceiling.

Also I tried a final compile but it hung up. I will try again soon.

The paint won't bounce, if it hits a sky brush it disappears. Why would people be firing up there anyway? If you want, you could put some glass in front of the sky brush.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
The paint won't bounce, if it hits a sky brush it disappears. Why would people be firing up there anyway? If you want, you could put some glass in front of the sky brush.
I don't want glass in front, I want it outdoors. And paintgrens bounce for some odd reason.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
Alright, you should really listen to the people that are trying to help you, they know what they're talking about.

So I downloaded your map and here is what I see;
-Many overlapped Brushes
-Very complex brushes (heavy on the r_speeds)
-The above combined.
-Over complicated brushes (Those that can be a single brush eg. Some of your walls).
-Incorrect use of Clip brushes.
-Many leaks.

What I recommend
(This is what I would do);
-Scrap this map.
-Have a look over tutorials.
-Learn some basic rules/how r_speeds are calculated.
-Make a very simple map, with very simple brushes.
-Start a Topic in the Mapping section and provide .map file.
-Ask for feedback on your technique in the same topic.
-Once you have your basic techniques down, move on to some harder techniques. Harder brushes. Harder structures, etc.
-In the same topic, update your first post within that topic to include this .map file and ask for feedback.
-Continue this.
-Once you have good technique, making maps that are very well structured, visually appealing and so on will become a breeze!

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Some tips:
-Use the grid. It's there for a reason. Try not to stray to 1 unit.
-Detailing brushes will help reduce r_speeds.
-Clip brushes are used as 'invisible objects', in the sense that a player can't see it in game, but it will still stop you from going through it. Even though you can shoot through it. (Can't be used as something to block the inside of your map, from the outside of it(will produce a leak)).
-Sky Brushes; These are used to provide lighting and skies to your maps.

I also attached your map, with skies and a full compile done. Just so you know, a full compile won't work if you have leaks, which you did.