Author Topic: Hardcore Unicorn Castles by JEL Lindsey and Twilight Sparkle  (Read 30936 times)

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
so my friend came up with the idea i made the map.

unfortunately theres no lighting because i get a max patches error. playing with bots is no fun because they just fall off the cliff over and over again.

I did a qvis compile but you get high r_speeds even behind a wall, so its like the vis3 did nothing. i dont really understand whats so wrong since i dont get any errors. the map is ginormous though.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: Hardcore Unicorn Castles by JEL Lindsey and Twilight Sparkle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
You should really get HR4 textures, it makes the game look a lot prettier.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »
You should really get HR4 textures, it makes the game look a lot prettier.
this map is laggy as it is xD

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
Upload the .map file, I'll have a look at what you've done wrong. By the way, this is your 4th beta map, I'd suggest not releasing anymore until you fix all the problems with these ones.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
this map is laggy as it is xD

> 35k wpoly.

Yup.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
P.S.: Nice map anyway! Very much effort.

But try to keep the r_speeds under 1000 (epoly isn't that important).

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
One way to solve MAX_PATCHES is by scaling your textures to higher values (i.e. 2 instead of 1). You should be doing this for wall/ground textures anyway.

When eR33t comes back this is our new match map.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 07:56:49 AM »
off topic, but sparkle, do you play tf2 and use the tf2r.com website?

http://tf2r.com/user/76561198053745035.html

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
One way to solve MAX_PATCHES is by scaling your textures to higher values (i.e. 2 instead of 1). You should be doing this for wall/ground textures anyway.

When eR33t comes back this is our new match map.
Thanks, good luck hopefully you'll find some players.

Unfortunately I highleted everything and set brush size to 256 256. It still gave max patches.

I don't play tf2...paintball is about as violent as I go. tf2 maps might work in this game though.

I have no idea how to get the wpoly under 1000 I only used 16 steps for the cylinders. Unless I used blocks this map is fundamentally laggy.
I compiled using vis3 but it must be the worst compiler ever because standing behind walls has no effect on wpoly count.

Also it seems people on different computers get different wpoly counts, how does that work?

For Rick: I attached a map copy below, might be the wrong version but it should give you an idea. As for my other maps, there was nothing really technically wrong with them. I'm welcome to gameplay critism but from a technical standpoint there weren't any glaring deficiencies. That one map that was full of crap wasn't a proper release, it was sent as an attachment to a mapping question.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:14:55 PM by twilightsparkl »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »
There already is a tf2 map in DP, 2Fort

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
There already is a tf2 map in DP, 2Fort

Never played it. A lot of servers just put the same maps as every other server, loop them over and over and never change their list.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
Basically, while your maps are quite nice architecturally, you're really underestimating how restrictive mapping for a 15 year old game engine is. When I tried to compile your map, qvis3 crashed (probably due to the 18k numportals) and then arghrad predictably hit MAX_PATCHES. If you want your maps to be playable without lag you'll either have to find a game with a better engine, or massively rein in your expectations on what can be accomplished with paintball2.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:15:47 AM »
Your map is HORRIBLY made. You didn't take anyone's advice besides how to use sky brushes. You're still using split, which is very evident. You're still overlapping. You're still clearly not even trying to get a hang of good techniques. I'm sorry I had to say it, but you're just chucking out maps everywhere that don't even NEARLY measure up against other maps. Seriously, take your time. LEARN things. DON'T use split. DON'T overlap. Ask questions! Listen to those who actually know a lot about mapping in Paintball!

Anyway, I kind of re-made one of the bases. It's attached. Have a look at it, especially at the bottom. (Ignore the unfinished top). I did most the things you did, apart from the water excrement you did that will cause extreme wpoly, without hitting 1.5k wpoly. (Yours was 9.5k).

Edit:
For Rick: I attached a map copy below, might be the wrong version but it should give you an idea. As for my other maps, there was nothing really technically wrong with them. I'm welcome to gameplay critism but from a technical standpoint there weren't any glaring deficiencies. That one map that was full of crap wasn't a proper release, it was sent as an attachment to a mapping question.
There wasn't any thing technically wrong with your maps? I'm not sure who is telling you that. I'll attach a map I've been working on, compare it to yours and hopefully you can see why I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to help you.
(Thread for the map I mention).

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
Your map is HORRIBLY made. You didn't take anyone's advice besides how to use sky brushes. You're still using split, which is very evident. You're still overlapping. You're still clearly not even trying to get a hang of good techniques. I'm sorry I had to say it, but you're just chucking out maps everywhere that don't even NEARLY measure up against other maps. Seriously, take your time. LEARN things. DON'T use split. DON'T overlap. Ask questions! Listen to those who actually know a lot about mapping in Paintball!

Anyway, I kind of re-made one of the bases. It's attached. Have a look at it, especially at the bottom. (Ignore the unfinished top). I did most the things you did, apart from the water excrement you did that will cause extreme wpoly, without hitting 1.5k wpoly. (Yours was 9.5k).

Edit:There wasn't any thing technically wrong with your maps? I'm not sure who is telling you that. I'll attach a map I've been working on, compare it to yours and hopefully you can see why I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to help you.
(Thread for the map I mention).
I know this map has technical problems I was talking about my other maps. What does your sewer map have to do with anything?

Anyway I'll probably redo the castles from basically scratch, and use octagonal towers instead of 16 sided towers. Just to be sure the reason you don't like the water is because its just a block that overlaps, right?
Also how does it handle func_trains in the vising process?

Anyway i deleted most of the castles and trees and other stuff including sand and water and I still get max patches.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:33:50 AM by twilightsparkl »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
this reminds me of mario way to much...

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »
sorry for saying vis3 is the worst compiler ever

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
Once you get your wpoly under control, you might want to add a good lighting.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
Once you get your wpoly under control, you might want to add a good lighting.
i dont think i can, even with low wpoly i get max patches.