Author Topic: Hardcore Unicorn Castles by JEL Lindsey and Twilight Sparkle  (Read 30974 times)

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: Hardcore Unicorn Castles by JEL Lindsey and Twilight Sparkle
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
Carpathian is the best constructed map in DP. No arguments. I mean seriously.... it plays the best and it looks the best.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
you call the anthills, the mid section, the houses, the spawn areas boring? that map has more going on in less space than your whole map.
i meant the texture scheme is boring...also i dont like the gameplay its too confusing for me and the indoor areas are too cramped for my taste. also it seems like a chore getting to the enemy base and too hard and its too hard to defend both flags or cap a flag. this is just my opinion though

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »
Rick my other maps don't use split and such, they are tiny maps, you shouldn't make assumptions without actually checking them out first. My labryinth map had problems but jitspoe pointed them out and I fixed everything.

As for tree models no server I go on displays them properly, all I see is a 3d gray diamond shape. But shrubs load for some reason.
I very much doubt that you didn't use split in an earlier map, seeing as you're still doing it in this one. Prove me wrong? :)

Models

Edit: Please look through that thread, I know the first link does not work anymore.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
I very much doubt that you didn't use split in an earlier map, seeing as you're still doing it in this one. Prove me wrong? :)

Models

Edit: Please look through that thread, I know the first link does not work anymore.

I had no reason to use split, I usually only use that when there are intersecting round shapes.

Also the link for models doesnt work, and if I supposed to download that in order for it to work why aren't they included in paintball.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
I had no reason to use split, I usually only use that when there are intersecting round shapes.

Also the link for models doesnt work, and if I supposed to download that in order for it to work why aren't they included in paintball.

Alright, I guess I'll believe that.

If you looked through the thread like I said, you would've found ftp://otb-server.de/pub/. Oh look, the publisher is 'sk89q'. Hmm, if only I could find tree models by him... Oh look, in the same directory, there is a zip filed called 'sk89q_trees.zip' hmm. ftp://otb-server.de/pub/sk89q_trees.zip

If you mean 'Why aren't they included in the installation?' It's simply because Jitspoe does not want to make the installation package any bigger then it needs to be. We have thousands of maps in this game, there is only 10? 15? included in the installation. Yadda yadda.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Alright, I guess I'll believe that.

If you looked through the thread like I said, you would've found ftp://otb-server.de/pub/. Oh look, the publisher is 'sk89q'. Hmm, if only I could find tree models by him... Oh look, in the same directory, there is a zip filed called 'sk89q_trees.zip' hmm. ftp://otb-server.de/pub/sk89q_trees.zip

If you mean 'Why aren't they included in the installation?' It's simply because Jitspoe does not want to make the installation package any bigger then it needs to be. We have thousands of maps in this game, there is only 10? 15? included in the installation. Yadda yadda.

Yeah but when you download a map that actually works. Downloading models in a map doesn't seem to. I doubt the average player after seeing a diamond shape would be inclined to search the forums, find that topic, and still continue after seeing the first link is dead.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
Yeah but when you download a map that actually works. Downloading models in a map doesn't seem to. I doubt the average player after seeing a diamond shape would be inclined to search the forums, find that topic, and still continue after seeing the first link is dead.
Any good quality server will all ready have these models. It seems that YOU can never do anything wrong but everything else can.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
Twilight just accept what rick is saying to you. I've been in your place before where I think my maps the best because I made it. Everyone says mystique is my best map which I don't. I like ps1 and wmv better but everyone else doesn't. Clearly if the community and experts on mapping all highly disagree upon things its because they are usually correct. Every time I've released a map I try to make it that much better looking. When i first started my maps were garbage (dof, bridge, waffle... i started to learn more made TLC, CCC Mystique and Eclissi) The first three sucked but I LOVED them.. oh because I made them, now I look how bad they are. I loved TLC, CCC, Mystique was ok and Eclissi is a hit on the pubs along with CCC and TLC. I've made nonturno.. which is basically another shazam. I then decided to take my time, I detailed the excrement out of rallyr_b1 and alot of players love it. Its a simple map with good flow and looks great. I've made ps1 (Still think its my favorite of all my maps) I made WMV, which looks great but plays bad. The moral of this post is NOT EVERY MAP YOU MAKE IS GOOD. You personally like it because YOU made IT. I've had the same problems, then I realized.. I needed to listen and work HARDER!

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
Any good quality server will all ready have these models. It seems that YOU can never do anything wrong but everything else can.

then how come all of the servers i go to rarely have them. when i do see a tree its leaf textures are not transparent. and i only go to popular servers since there are hardly ever any to choose from.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
then how come all of the servers i go to rarely have them. when i do see a tree its leaf textures are not transparent. and i only go to popular servers since there are hardly ever any to choose from.
I'm not sure what servers are out there now, but OTB/Supermans/CP etc should all have them. They aren't transparent because the server musn't of had the .txt file. By popular servers, I mean OTB/Supermans/cP/Arctic.. I don't know whats currently there.

Any who, anything I try to do to help you, you seem to throw "no ways mannnn, your wayzz are totes not azz good as minee. i Be mapping thrwew da heart, ya here???" back into my face. No one can say I didn't try. Good luck with mapping, I hope you improve for your sake, and the communities.

P.S Thanks Clipz.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
Personally I was like him earlier when i first started mapping... but then i figured out my maps weren't good because no1 was playing them. It just takes time.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »
Twilightsparkl: We may come off rude to you... but trust me we just want to help you become the best mapper you can become!

You're welcome Rick.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Twilightsparkl: We may come off rude to you... but trust me we just want to help you become the best mapper you can become!

You're welcome Rick.

I think most types of criticism from the internet or via reading will come off rude to people. You just need to keep working on mapping to when you won't need any more criticism and people will just say "Great Map."

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
DP is pumping out more horrible maps per week than ever before. Keep up the good work.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »
DP is pumping out more horrible maps per week than ever before. Keep up the good work.

Almost as bad as italy. :D

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
I'm not sure what servers are out there now, but OTB/Supermans/CP etc should all have them. They aren't transparent because the server musn't of had the .txt file. By popular servers, I mean OTB/Supermans/cP/Arctic.. I don't know whats currently there.

Any who, anything I try to do to help you, you seem to throw "no ways mannnn, your wayzz are totes not azz good as minee. i Be mapping thrwew da heart, ya here???" back into my face. No one can say I didn't try. Good luck with mapping, I hope you improve for your sake, and the communities.

P.S Thanks Clipz.
Although I don't agree with all of your advice, over half of it I do, I don't know why you keep saying that. As for the tree models I don't know what the deal is, ever since I've been playing paintball I havent seen one working tree model. The closest I've ever seen is a tree model but the leaves werent transparent and looked horrible and were black rectangles. So if it is a server issue, I only go to servers that have people in it, and these servers are pretty much the only ones availiable every day, like Speed USA and such. So if servers such as these dont have it, thats a problem. If they do have the trees then there must be something wrong with the game or something. Has anyone else had this problem or has
everybody just downloaded the trees manually at the forums, because I don't really see that happening for most people. That would be like everytime theres a new map you have to close the game and download it from the forums and manually put it in your maps folder.

What's wrong with Italy?

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »

What's wrong with Italy?

Gameplay, 1 side has a speed jump to cap the other base is easily campable... The list could go on for days of "whats wrong with italy?"

nothing against spook though. haha

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
I didn't design it  :D

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
Gameplay, 1 side has a speed jump to cap the other base is easily campable... The list could go on for days of "whats wrong with italy?"

nothing against spook though. haha

Why is there a server called Italy 24/7? Even though I have had fun playing I wouldn't want to play that map 24/7.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
Because some speed server kid... Anyone can make their own server, i could just make a server right now and do 24/7 oddjob... that doesn't mean anything...