Author Topic: Traps and Rewards!  (Read 4909 times)

medley crew 2

Traps and Rewards!
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »
Hey again, it's me, medley crew 2. me and #1 are working on our latest map. Has anyone seen the matrix? remeber the infinite hallway? that will give you sort of an idea. anyways, thanks to teleporters, my favorite entity in quake 2, each door in the hallway teleports you to a different room, some are traps, some are rewards, some are shortcuts, some lead to the base, etc. anyways, we need some ideas for traps that take advantage of quake2 entities.

we just started yesterday, so dont blame us for only having 3 traps done.

so post all your trap ideas here! remeber that you first must be teleported into the room, you can't just walk in.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 11:58:22 AM by medley crew 2 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Traps and Rewards!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:59:41 AM »
Just watch Cube.  You'll get plenty of ideas there. :)

medley crew 2

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:02:30 AM »
Just watch Cube.  You'll get plenty of ideas there. :)
what's cube  ???

and i have another question. why is it that before the match starts (match begins in 23 seconds) you can walk to certain places and fall out of the map, like, you phase through the wall or something and everything goes all glitchy. and then when the match starts it all goes away and everything works fine.

[edit]
nvm i fixed this glitch

[[edit]] the glitch is back again, but is it ok if it is glitchy before the match starts but it goes away after?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:00:53 PM by medley crew 2 »

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:31:09 AM »
lmfao has anyone seen the movie Cube Zero, so funny.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:10:05 AM »
lol Cube is so a sexy film, I think there are 3 of them right? I only saw one.
Cube, Hypercube and Cube zero, lol, so funny films

medley crew 2

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:13:44 AM »
i made this thread so u could help me come up with ideas, not talk about cube  :P  ::)

medley crew 2

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 11:24:58 AM »
some of these are traps and some are not... you will have to find out. also, dont worry about the crappy textures, they are only temporary, i will fix those later.

medley crew 1

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 11:34:55 AM »
It will be awesome once every room is done, you will be soconfused as to which room is a trap or if its agood room since they all look alike.

medley crew 1

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
Now how can we do it so that you hit a buton and the room gets smaller?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 02:04:52 PM »
You should work on lighting before you take screenshots.  Use actual light surfaces, though, not mysterious light entities.

And for info on Cube: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/

medley crew 2

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »
JITS, THERE ARE NO LIGHT ENTITIES. THE TEXTURES ARE MYSTERIOUSLY LIGHTED....

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 03:13:19 PM »
wow, scary. keep up the cube work

also there's an awesome game called Cube, and then there's Cube2: Sauerbraten which is the current cube project, the mapping in Sauerbraten is awesome. In both engines you can edit and save maps just by loading them up in the game with edit mode enabled, which means that you can have multiplayer editing if you run a server with it enabled, which can be hectic, but also often ends with some really awesome maps made.

medley crew 2

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »
can anyone tell me:

a. how do i rotate the teleporters so you end up facing the right way

b. how can i make a room where the celing comes down when you step on a trigger

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 09:07:34 AM »
a. u have to give the target teleporter an angle like on a spawn-entity

b. i would do it with a train. func_train (the ceiling), target a path_corner (start point). this path_corner has another path_corner (end point) as target. and a trigger with the func_train as target.

medley crew 2

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 10:29:10 AM »
b. i would do it with a train. func_train (the ceiling), target a path_corner (start point). this path_corner has another path_corner (end point) as target. and a trigger with the func_train as target.

another question, how do i make it so it resets to the top always after its done? cuz i want it to work more than once.

Pimp

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 10:56:12 AM »
then you have to make a func_door entity with angle down (angle -2). the ceiling then has to be a high brush, or you have to set a negative lip ("lip"  lip remaining at end of move [8 default]) that it moves till the bottom of the room. this door you have to set the target of a trigger

medley crew 2

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 11:19:05 AM »
then you have to make a func_door entity with angle down (angle -2). the ceiling then has to be a high brush, or you have to set a negative lip ("lip"  lip remaining at end of move [8 default]) that it moves till the bottom of the room. this door you have to set the target of a trigger

i made the door and everything works... it comes down... but when it hits me it just goes back up without killing me. any ideas on how to fix this?

[EDIT] i changed the spawnflag to "crusher" and put the damage up... and now it kills you so... thanks for all the help pimp

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 11:52:23 AM »
what about a teleport that leads into a walled in area and has spikes on the roof, and every so often, the floor goes slowly upwards carrying the player/s with it to there doom from the spikes.

medley crew 2

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »
i might make that

(i have removed the screenshots because i want the map to be a surprise for anyone who hasnt seen it   ;))

shofixti

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 12:51:25 PM »
great map medley... how about rising lava, is that doable?