Author Topic: Map Making Help  (Read 1749 times)

GHC

• PGP
Map Making Help
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
Hey, it is GHC and I have been having two major issues while making maps.  My first issue is that I correctly set my sky, yet it is black.  My second issue is that I get the max_patches error and do not know how to scale up textures.  Other than that, my map is coming along well.  Thanks in advance!

omni

• 68 Carbine
Re: Map Making Help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
Firstly all the issues to your problem can be found in tutorials and everyone I'm pretty sure everybody has expirienced MAX_PATCHES error even the pro's.

I'm guessing you have been reading around and seen that scaling textures is one way to stop max patches. I couldn't find anything in the tutorials on texture work.

1. Select the texture you want to upscale

2. Press "s"

3. A surface properties window should have appeared if not scroll down its beneath the main window where you draws your brushes.

4. Look for the column that says "SX" and "SY" it's in the top right corner of the surface properties window. At the moment both boxes should have 1.0 in them this means they are there original size, change the value to scale your texture.

Example: Putting both SX and SY values to 2.0 means the texture is twice as large. Putting it to 0.5 means its twice as small, Experiment see what works. :)

With the sky issue you could also select your sky brush(s) and make sure "Sky" is ticked in the surface properties window, other than that I don't know how to help you, unless you didn't do a final compile, if you didn't do a final compile is it because you kept getting the max_pathes error?

Before you realise your map do a final compile.

Here are some words of wisdom from jitspoe (not aimed at you in particular) ;

"Don't release your first map.  No offense, but first maps usually suck unless you have some kind of previous experience with 3D editing.  I know it takes a lot of time at first, but once you get it down, you can make a new map, beter than the first, in less than half the time.  Show it to some friends.  Get some feedback, then chaulk it off as a learning experience."

GHC

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:17 AM »
Thank you for the help on the sky, I have it working now.  I did want to know what the max_patches error affected because my final compile seems to play fine with it.  Thanks, I really appreciate your help!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
Hey, it is GHC and I have been having two major issues while making maps.  My first issue is that I correctly set my sky, yet it is black.  My second issue is that I get the max_patches error and do not know how to scale up textures.  Other than that, my map is coming along well.  Thanks in advance!

Unless your map is small, you will probably hit the MAX_PATCHES error using the high quality final compile.  Just use the other final compile if you aren't already.

GHC

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
Thanks for the help everybody!  Problem solved.  Foxhound, for future reference, where should I have put this thread?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »
Thanks for the help everybody!  Problem solved.  Foxhound, for future reference, where should I have put this thread?
This is fine. Foxhound made a mistake, probably meant to post that reply in a different forum.