Author Topic: Feature/Request: Level System for DP2 w/ Achievments.  (Read 33561 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Feature/Request: Level System for DP2 w/ Achievments.
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »
I've gone over this with a few people and they seemed to like the idea. I've touched base with Jitspoe upon this and from what I think he said he was not against it.

This is all just a BASIC LAYOUT.. nothing would be final.

We need a ranking system, with servers only allowing certian ranks. Have 50 levels.

Beginner Servers: LVL 1-15
Intermediate Servers: LVL 16-30
Advanced Servers: LVL 31-45
Expert Servers: LVL 45+
Any Rank Server: LVL 1-50 (Anyone can play)

This would allow the best to play with the best, the worst to play with the worse. It could keep games more balanced with skills.

Like COD I think you should be able to reset after lvl 50 if you want to. Yeah you might dominate the newbies, but it wouldn't be for too long.

EXP points would generate and dictate your LVL.

If we did for example 100 exp a kill. We could also give 50 for grabbing and then another 100 for capturing the flag. Each lvl will be its LVL number X 1000.

Examples:
Level 1 - 1000 exp
Level 10 - 10000 exp
Level 25 - 25000 exp
Level 38 - 38000 exp
Level 43 - 43000 exp
Level 50 - 50000 exp

If you are a level 1 you would have 1000 exp, to get to level 2 you would need an additional 2000 exp meaning 3000 total. The numbers i posted is how many exp you need to get to the next level not how many total you need to get there. It could take a while to level up in the higher levels.

The servers for this would also have to be official servers that log your kills. This would make it so someone doesn't just play vs 10 bots with one second re-spawn on a map they can just spawn kill bots and rack up their EXP.

We could also give BONUS EXP Achievements.

Examples:
-100 pgp kills: 5000 exp.
-200 stingray kills: 5000 exp.
-200 traccer kills: 5000 exp.
-300 VM kills: 5000 exp.
-400 Spyder SE kills: 5000 exp
-500 Carbine kills: 5000 exp.
-750 Automag kills: 5000 exp.
-1500 Autococker kills: 7500 exp.
-500 Grenade kills: 5000 exp.
-1000 grabs: 5000 exp.
-750 caps: 6000 exp.
-750 kills with brass barrel: 2500 exp.
-3000 kills with chrome barrel: 5000 exp.
-5000 kills with steel barrel: 7500 exp.

The autococker is the most commonly used gun in the game so I think it should take more kills but be more rewarding.

We can think of more achievements if we decide to do this and we should vote upon them all. I wish I knew how to code because I would help ya. The game needs something BIG and NEW, I think this would be perfect quite honestly. Think about being a newbie and joining a server with someone more advanced they have ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE.
I think you should really consider this one jitspoe. I don't know how tough this would be to code but I think it would improve the game a ton because people would have objectives now.

Hell it would get me to play more often as well.

EDIT: I'm open to listen to other peoples suggestions for this... Once we get enough info on how this would end up working I could do a "official post" with all the information.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:43:38 PM by Clipz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature/Request: Level System for DP2 w/ Achievments.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »
This would pretty much go under this feature vote: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10078

Regarding exp/Experience Points/XP, Tribes Ascend has an interesting approach.  I'm not sure if it's unique or not, but here's how they do it:

XP is calculated by the equations below:
 Base XP = (Time played in seconds) * 0.5833
 Bonus XP = ((win or loss[1/0]) * (Base XP * 0.25)) + (Base XP * 0.25) / (scoreboard rank)
 VIP = (Base XP + Bonus XP) * 1.5
 Boost = Base XP + Bonus XP + VIP

Given the same VIP status, boost bonus and time played, the formulas above mean that players in the winning team will always make more XP than players in the losing team. For example, the player that ranked first in his losing team would still get less XP than the player that ranked last in the winning team. Hence, it is best to play to win and not to top the scoreboard.

Players gain a flat 1200 XP bonus from their first win of the day. This bonus becomes available every day at 5 AM EST.

On the plus side, this makes people focus more on playing the game, and less on stupid crap like "Stat Paddling" in the Battlefield series.  On the minus side, it's not very clear how much XP you're getting and why.

They also have servers by rank, but it's pretty much a big jump.  I think it was at level 10 for me, but it looks like it's at level 8 now.  You basically go from dominating everybody to getting completely dominated as soon as you get out of the "kiddie pool".  It would be nice to have a smoother transition, but we don't have enough people actively playing right now.  At least that's better than just getting dominated as soon as you start playing.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
Hell it would get me to play more often as well.
+1

I like the idea of weapon specific achievements, could bring back the weapons that don't get put in maps alot, or the use of maps that don't get played frequently with them in it.

Just a thought, but with the levels, you could also have maps for specific levels, since maps these days seem to have to be made newbie friendly.  Obviously maps would have to be made for it, but then it could make it more interesting for higher levels as well.  Also shows the idea of unlocking maps?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
I think the COD system is better but ultimately its your decision.

Screw the voting on this one.. this is something that NEEDS to be done. By the time we receive enough votes to do it it will be 2020 and no one will play. Not enough people in the game come on the forums to vote as it is.

The game needs a dramatic change and this would do it.. I will guarantee you it wont hurt the game and will only help.

Could you possibly set up a global vote for each player who opens up dp gets to read about it once and then place a vote?

This will give the newbie players a better read on the game. If you are wanting to do this jitspoe let me know, I'd love to help you get the numbers figured out on XP and BONUS's. If we did it the way I posted it would take 1,270,000 EXP to make it from lvl 0-50.

I love the idea of different maps for different level and possibly unlocking newer maps if we get the OFFICIAL MAPLIST going too.

SnooD

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
Cool idea, had something in mind like that but not exactly like it. Only flaw I see is what if somebody gets higher in a level but then does't play the game in a while and comes back and sucks again. Then you'll still have noobs running around in "higher level servers".

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
I think the COD system is better but ultimately its your decision.

The COD system is simpler, but I really don't want getting XP being the driving factor so much so that people are completely avoiding the aspects of the game that make it fun in order to grind XP in the fastest way possible.  This is part of where an official maplist will play a role, but people will still pick the smallest, most crowded map possible, so that they can get kills and level up as fast as possible.  I don't want to further promote speed server mentality.  If you base XP on winning, time played, and scoreboard ranking, it scales to any map or game mode.

SnooD

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »
If this does end up happening though make sure this.....Any Rank Server: LVL 1-50 (Anyone can play)..............is actually implemented. Make a few servers like that. People love playing pubs the way they do now.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
The COD system is simpler, but I really don't want getting XP being the driving factor so much so that people are completely avoiding the aspects of the game that make it fun in order to grind XP in the fastest way possible.  This is part of where an official maplist will play a role, but people will still pick the smallest, most crowded map possible, so that they can get kills and level up as fast as possible.  I don't want to further promote speed server mentality.  If you base XP on winning, time played, and scoreboard ranking, it scales to any map or game mode.
your right, dont let xp be the soul factor for ranks, i think it should be kill/death ratio and capture/round ratio( or capture/game ratio) and what map you played on( so the more maps you played the better your ranking, since this helps out newbies turning into pros because of the experince in maps)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
The COD system is simpler, but I really don't want getting XP being the driving factor so much so that people are completely avoiding the aspects of the game that make it fun in order to grind XP in the fastest way possible.  This is part of where an official maplist will play a role, but people will still pick the smallest, most crowded map possible, so that they can get kills and level up as fast as possible.  I don't want to further promote speed server mentality.  If you base XP on winning, time played, and scoreboard ranking, it scales to any map or game mode.

I agree on the map list will help it. I also think that it should have an official server.cfg with the Correct Elim (60 SECONDS)

[cP]Pb2x

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »
I personally care nothing about an XP system, HOWEVER! this can accomplish something totally different.  If we can get the new players playing against other newer players and this is how we make it happen, it's probably worth a try.  Jit has mentioned several times about how many people download the game but don't stick around.  My personal thought is that this happens because they more experienced players just kick their ass so bad they don't have fun and don't come back.  Sooooooooooo if it's the XP / achievements that keep them around great but what I'm hoping it does is make these players progress together and build a bigger scene.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
Just taken some factors from previous posts that could be for gaining XP.

- Who you're playing (XP wise) AND/OR k/d ratio
 - Win/Loss on map
 - Map (difficulty level?, respawn time, gun temp, etc)
 - Time played
 - New map to player (limitations applied to this such as as to be playing it for a specific amount of time/specific amount of players as well)
 - Boost (like double xp weekend in cod, try get a heap of people playing one weekend)
 - Grabs/Caps (not sure on this one, anyone can run around the map like a mad man and cap/grab, if so it'd be a small factor)

Any more?

I agree with XP grinding, yeah you can aim and hit someone, but how well do you know maps (like toxiic said), how long have you actually played for?  I reckon they'd be better to go for, also means longer to get XP up so you have to play more ;).

[cP]Pb2x

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
If you over complicate the XP system your talking 100's of extra hours for Jit as well.  Keep it simple.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Maybe even bring in Clan Levels?

-500 Kills [clan] = Level 2
-1000 Kills / 250 Grabs [clan] = Level 3..

etc.

This could also effect how much xp per player?

Just chuckin' it out here.

Edit:
For Clipz,
Maybe even make it so if you leave a clan within a month or two, your xp is halved?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
Maybe even bring in Clan Levels?

-500 Kills [clan] = Level 2
-1000 Kills / 250 Grabs [clan] = Level 3..

etc.

This could also effect how much xp per player?

Just chuckin' it out here.

Edit:
For Clipz,
Maybe even make it so if you leave a clan within a month or two, your xp is halved?

Hahahaha I like it!

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
If you over complicate the XP system your talking 100's of extra hours for Jit as well.  Keep it simple.
I just listed everything I could see and think of that could be possibly implemented to affect the XP growth.  Also, someone could attempt to set up functions and algorithms to base it off, or at least find something similar, which jitspoe doesn't have to do.  In the actual implementation to the game, I understand that would be a different story.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »
Hahahaha I like it!
:D

The official map list should be finalized before an attempt on this is made. Then, whilst the Mapping Committee are making the needed adjustments to the maps, Jitspoe could be implementing this.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
:D

The official map list should be finalized before an attempt on this is made. Then, whilst the Mapping Committee are making the needed adjustments to the maps, Jitspoe could be implementing this.

Good call, I think both of these topics will improve the game tremendously.

SnooD

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
List of some achievements:
HeadShot(would require a specific head hitbox model}

Killstreaks reward higher xp

Capped on enemy team

Grabbed on enemy team

Multiple kills with one nade

No deaths in one game

best k/d on the team

best k/d in the match MVP

Longest without dying

Most grabs in one match

Most Caps in one match

Most grenade kills

Topspeed

Most assits.

Gun Challenges:

100 kills pgp

100 kills cocker

100 kills spyder

100 kills carbine

100 kills vm

100 headshots all those guns ^

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »
your right, dont let xp be the soul factor for ranks, i think it should be kill/death ratio and capture/round ratio( or capture/game ratio) and what map you played on( so the more maps you played the better your ranking, since this helps out newbies turning into pros because of the experince in maps)
I think ranking and XP levels should be two separate things.

XP is just points you get for playing in general.  A value that climbs and doesn't really represent much more than how much you've played.

Ranking is more complex -- it's your relative position to other players based on performance.  If player A defeats player B, player A's rank should go up, and player B's rank should go down.  I think ranking would have to be reserved for competitive matches, as trying to account for players joining/leaving matches, autobalance, etc. just makes it too complicated and likely to be frustrating for the players.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »
I think ranking and XP levels should be two separate things.

XP is just points you get for playing in general.  A value that climbs and doesn't really represent much more than how much you've played.

Ranking is more complex -- it's your relative position to other players based on performance.  If player A defeats player B, player A's rank should go up, and player B's rank should go down.  I think ranking would have to be reserved for competitive matches, as trying to account for players joining/leaving matches, autobalance, etc. just makes it too complicated and likely to be frustrating for the players.
so wait, let's suppose player A is top ranked and player B is second ranked; let's also suppose that player A goes inactive, then how would player B become top place?