Author Topic: Let's start playing again.  (Read 9522 times)

SeQuAL

• VM-68
Let's start playing again.
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
I've been looking around at the DP community so far via forums, irc, teamspeak etc. The main thing I have been seeing is that people that used to play are still all over the forums talking about the game and attempting to make ideas to make it better.

IMO I don't think the game needs to be made better, people just have to stop making horrible excuses of why they don't play anymore. The number one excuse so far I've heard from so many people is that they don't play because no one else plays...

How does that make any sense? A major contradiction it seems to be. DP is a super fun game and always has been, many people though have been turned onto other games such as LoL and just other fps games.

Irc has even become super dead lately. Now I know another reason at the moment why people don't play much is because there are no more American match servers. Superman is working on this though and I talked to him on irc and he told me that they're paid for the next 3 years. It's just a matter of getting his website back up.

This game can be still played once they do come back up, it was dead before the US servers were taken down anyway. This thread might seem completely pointless at the moment but I've talked to a lot of people who do still want to play the game, but no one is ever on.

Take the initiative yourself and start getting back into the community with irc and even contacting your former friends or clan mates. We can get the ball rolling again but we have to do something ourselves. There isn't going to be just one or two people that will make this game active again.

Taking small steps is the best way to get back into it i think. I have some good ideas that I will list and maybe it will get people rethinking about the game.

1. Let Superman get his servers back up.
2. Get back on irc regardless of who is on or not.
3. Contact your friends and clan mates somehow through email, testing, just do something. Tell them to start playing again.
4. Maybe clipz and some other good mapmakers can design some new fun maps that everyone will want to play.
5. Start communicating more with one another about playing the game and just sit tight until Superman does get his servers back up..they will be back..
6. Maybe even mix up teams instead of having the same people in the same clans. it could spark a new scene. Just start talking to people on irc that you never really clanned with.

They're not the best ideas I know but they're so simple and basic and I think that's all this community needs at the moment is just a motivation to want to come back.

If you're still on the forums you're obviously still around so why not just get back on irc? It is such a good way to communicate to others and always has been one of the best ways of getting matches and what not.

I know a lot of people that still want to play this game and even have told me to let them know when people start playing again. lol it doesn't work like that though, you have to start playing yourself in order for people to come back. Let others know you're still playing the game and I'm pretty sure if they still want to play that they will come back to the game.

I really think we need to stop with trying to change the game too as I mentioned earlier. This game is great how it is. Some of the better players don't want to play because they say there is no "Challenge" well if that's another reason then why not join a clan with players who are not nearly as good as you so you can help them out, and play against a team that you might not win against because of your teammates. I think trying to win against another team when your teammates suck and get grabbed/capped on is a fun challenge.

Now I do realize that older players won't be around because, well they're older and have gotten their lives together and have more important things to do. As of right now though all we need is 3 to 4 teams with at least 4 players to get the game to START being fun, playable, and competitive again. It will only grow from there. Obviously training pub newbies isn't the way to go. So people who were and are experienced with this game should start off slow like I said then maybe slowly pick out some pubbers that have potential, train them and maybe if each team gets enough you can have them all make their own clan.

^That idea there seems like it would be good if it could be done, it's kind of like populating the DP matching scene.

PM me on IRC I'm usually always on, and I idle #paintball and #ballers mainly.

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Let's start playing again.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
The game will never grow, the most you'll get is a 5-10 clan match scene. That is not worth putting countless hours of playing into once you have other stuff going on in life. With school, work, sports, there isn't the same amount of time for video games. Most people quit because they no longer have the time to play the game they used to play.

When I do play games, I like being competitive. I like winning. DP doesn't give that. Winning a match gets a self-added number adjustment to a self-made colourful topic. In other games, such as LoL, since I play that game, I'm able to be competitive whenever I play, compete in multiple different tournaments with different prize outcomes every single day of the year.

That's the difference. DP wont grow, DP gives nothing to gain by playing, DP is not competitive. The only thing that kept me around DP for a long time was the community. There was no competitiveness added by anyone but the competitive scene. The rage, the trash talking, etc.. made matches matter. Everyone had incredible egos, so every match was for the ego. Now? Who cares. I quit because it got to the point that the skill level of the scene dropped so badly that I couldn't team with my friends since nobody would play us. We had to split up in order to get teams to play us. Protecting ego's couldn't keep the scene alive forever.

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
You're one person to the game though and you had to get good just like everyone else did and does. You were never always good. There may not be a competitive scene for you right now because no one plays like I said. If people were to keep playing though then there would be a competitive level of playing for you. The game obviously started at some point in time hence why it has had many players/downloads and the scene that it used to have. Now it's just a matter of time until that can be set up again. Just takes patience. Nothing lasts forever no, but it can still be made into a fun game. If it's not competitive and you don't have time to play it anyways, that's fine.

There are many people that can still bring up this game to how it was, they just need to realize the game and communities potential. LoL has so many more people that play it compared to dp, that's why you can have tourneys and prizes etc... if dp were do start getting bigger which you think it can, but I think it can be done since it did in the past. Then it has the ability to offer more tourneys. I agree with you Myers, there is no competitive scene in the game, me and shep have been just playing random clans and it's not even fun anymore. That doesn't mean that people should just abandon all hope for the game.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
i joined *JeL^ with kakarot, infuze, and some others, still was no challenge or activity. there's a new game coming out that's called warface, y'all should look it up and check it out, it's gunna be a free FPS, that has better graphics then most p2p FPS games. it's similar to BF3 apparently, game play wise.

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
Superman servers just came back now by the way. www.SupermansPub.com

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
also, another reason i dont think people stick to this game is because it's a quake game, quake is outdated, not many people play it like other FPS games and there is too steep of a learning curve. people just wana play and be decent, i started playing Arctic combat and already in the best clan in the game, all because of what DP has teached me, game sense, aim, knowing where people will go. they made me go on teamviewer to check my files lol.

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
also, another reason i dont think people stick to this game is because it's a quake game, quake is outdated, not many people play it like other FPS games and there is too steep of a learning curve. people just wana play and be decent, i started playing Arctic combat and already in the best clan in the game, all because of what DP has teached me, game sense, aim, knowing where people will go. they made me go on teamviewer to check my files lol.
yeah it is an older game, that does factor into all of this by a lot. Even a year ago though there were many clans having a blast playing the game.

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »
I think that just because you are good Myers, doesn't mean you should try and convince others to not want to play the game. That post of yours right there just makes more people second guess coming back to the game. This game will never be as big as something like LoL community wise. Doens't mean it can't be fun.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »
My post doesn't make anyone not come back, most people left cause they grew up, its simple. Other people left cause they found better games.

The game can still be fun, which is why I play jump servers still. It's fun. But it likely will not be competitive again. Even a year, or two ago, it wasn't that competitive.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
The game will never grow, the most you'll get is a 5-10 clan match scene. That is not worth putting countless hours of playing into once you have other stuff going on in life. With school, work, sports, there isn't the same amount of time for video games. Most people quit because they no longer have the time to play the game they used to play.

When I do play games, I like being competitive. I like winning. DP doesn't give that. Winning a match gets a self-added number adjustment to a self-made colourful topic. In other games, such as LoL, since I play that game, I'm able to be competitive whenever I play, compete in multiple different tournaments with different prize outcomes every single day of the year.

That's the difference. DP wont grow, DP gives nothing to gain by playing, DP is not competitive. The only thing that kept me around DP for a long time was the community. There was no competitiveness added by anyone but the competitive scene. The rage, the trash talking, etc.. made matches matter. Everyone had incredible egos, so every match was for the ego. Now? Who cares. I quit because it got to the point that the skill level of the scene dropped so badly that I couldn't team with my friends since nobody would play us. We had to split up in order to get teams to play us. Protecting ego's couldn't keep the scene alive forever.

Thats not right but i still like you.

You're one person to the game though and you had to get good just like everyone else did and does. You were never always good. There may not be a competitive scene for you right now because no one plays like I said. If people were to keep playing though then there would be a competitive level of playing for you. The game obviously started at some point in time hence why it has had many players/downloads and the scene that it used to have. Now it's just a matter of time until that can be set up again. Just takes patience. Nothing lasts forever no, but it can still be made into a fun game. If it's not competitive and you don't have time to play it anyways, that's fine.

There are many people that can still bring up this game to how it was, they just need to realize the game and communities potential. LoL has so many more people that play it compared to dp, that's why you can have tourneys and prizes etc... if dp were do start getting bigger which you think it can, but I think it can be done since it did in the past. Then it has the ability to offer more tourneys. I agree with you Myers, there is no competitive scene in the game, me and shep have been just playing random clans and it's not even fun anymore. That doesn't mean that people should just abandon all hope for the game.

And thats not right but i dont like you.

ps: someone tell shk to stream LoL matches again and send me the link

#nohomo#yolo#neverbackdown#ilikebirds#&braeden

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
My post doesn't make anyone not come back, most people left cause they grew up, its simple. Other people left cause they found better games.

The game can still be fun, which is why I play jump servers still. It's fun. But it likely will not be competitive again. Even a year, or two ago, it wasn't that competitive.
I understand. Just trying to reach a hand out to those who are still willing.

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »
Thats not right but i still like you.

And thats not right but i dont like you.

ps: someone tell shk to stream LoL matches again and send me the link

#nohomo#yolo#neverbackdown#ilikebirds#&braeden
You're bad
#pewpewpewpewp#getalife#prozajikcarriesyou#Ioutplayyoueverymatch

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
Pubs suck, change that and I'll play more pub

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
You're bad
#pewpewpewpewp#getalife#prozacarries

Yes, its sad that you lose to one guy.

#mad#crazy#exciting

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
Yes, its sad that you lose to one guy.

#mad#crazy#exciting
#procomeback#justasgoodasyourdpskill#prozajikstillcarriesyeww

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
#procomeback#justasgoodasyourdpskill#prozajikstillcarriesyeww

makes sense

#ilikebirds#club

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
makes sense

#ilikebirds#club
#suredoes#USA#ww1#ww2#nuffsaid#Getbackontopic

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
#suredoes#USA#ww1#ww2#nuffsaid#Getbackontopic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#snowden#china#himyers

I like your idea Sequal.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
Sequal, you need to work on responding in threads. You're derailing your own thread by responding, and that makes threads like these not get looked at.

#hiluckie#luckieclub#chemicalisfat

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »
Sequal, you need to work on responding in threads. You're derailing your own thread by responding, and that makes threads like these not get looked at.

#hiluckie#luckieclub#chemicalisfat

It is wasted time to talk about it. There were like 3 other thread about the "same" topic and it didnt help. As you said, people grow up and they have other things to do. Or they move to playstation/xbox. pceyo