Author Topic: Are My Textures Allowed? (Ask within)  (Read 13157 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Are My Textures Allowed? (Ask within)
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:25:23 AM »
BANNED TEXTURES:
-
ALLOWED TEXTURES:
-
WAITING FOR APPROVAL:
-

Alright guys, thought I'd take some of the ideas from the recent posts about textures.

I'm not too sure if Jitspoe will be okay with this or not, so let's just hope.

How this works:
-You take a screenshot of the texture you are wondering about.
-You come here and post either the name of the texture/s or describe them.
-Map Committee/Committee/Community voice their opinions on the texture and whether they think it should be allowed or not and why.
-I make a list on the first post with what we have come up with; if none/most of the community said NO to a texture, it should go straight to the BANNED textures, else it should go to the WAITING FOR APPROVAL part, where Jitspoe can review and have the final say. If Jitspoe says yes, it goes to the ALLOWED, if not it goes to the BANNED.

Why do this?
The community seems to be going nuts over textures, if we just have this single topic, people can come here and be like "Oh, so I can get banned for that texture!" and not use it and no one will have any excuses.

Wait, you can get banned for Textures?
Yes you can. As we can change textures ourselves, a lot of people take advantage of this and use it to get advantages over other players.

What about the Official Texture Pack?
Well, it's not finished yet and I don't see it being completely finished anytime soon! Also, the Official Texture Pack will only be featuring textures from pball (from what I know) and that means a lot of textures will not be remade.

Who does this?
Like I said earlier, we as a community will voice our opinions on textures posted and I will put them under either BANNED or WAITING APPROVAL. Then that's when Jitspoe comes in with the final say.

Rules?
1. Jitspoe always has final say, period.
2. Follow forum rules.
3. Be nice.
4. If you're unhappy with the communities decision, PM me and I (Or someone deemed worthy) will review the decision and decide whether to leave it in Banned or move it to Waiting for Approval.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread, I'm happy to try to answer them and if I can't, someone else probably will! Also, leaving some feedback will also be very handy, please try not to flame though.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Are My Textures Allowed? (Ask within)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
Example Post:

Texture: pball/brl2
Description: I was just wondering if the barrel texture I used is allowed? Thanks!
Screenshot is attached.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
Do you really wanna tell me to check forums and each texture every time?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »

Instead of being mad already, did you think about a better alternative for the time being?
Please stop just posting because you don't like something, post a better idea instead!

SeQuAL

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
lol good idea rick but so much effort involved and if everyone uploads every texture known people are going to get confused. I think jits just needs to make his own darn thread.

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:10:59 PM »
That's cynical. Don't act like experienced player can't distinguish textures giving an avantage from those who don't

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
I'm down to do this. I can spend some time working with this.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
I'm asking if Sunman's hr4 textures are bannable. Becouse i used grasses/walls from them and they "gave me advantage". And why other people aren't banned too then.

Most likely i used this wall and this grass.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6315/k6v9.jpg

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
lol good idea rick but so much effort involved and if everyone uploads every texture known people are going to get confused. I think jits just needs to make his own darn thread.

People know which textures they want to post... the kind of ones aviero used for instance..

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »

Is that box texture allowed? (from asrca's texture pack)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »
@Aveiro: The wall should be ok (in my opinion), the grass could be a bit bright.

@JordanMRichards: Maybe post a screenshot of the box (instead of grass and wall), its hard to find :P

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Come on. You guys complain about not knowing what will get you banned, so I made this thread.

Well, it's just going to be a lot of effort at the start as there isn't many custom textures in the game.

I'm asking if Sunman's hr4 textures are bannable. Becouse i used grasses/walls from them and they "gave me advantage". And why other people aren't banned too then.

Most likely i used this wall and this grass.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6315/k6v9.jpg
Even though I hate that wall texture, I wouldn't say it is bannable. Though I would say that grass is, as it is a bit too bright.

Is that box texture allowed? (from asrca's texture pack)
My opinion would be that it's not allowed as it's very light compared to the original. [Link]

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
I'm confused, did textures just suddenly become unfair? I think it was Superman's pack that had the grass Aveiro posted on numerous maps. He posted screenshots comparing his textures to Jitspoe's in the "official texture thread" - and it was never said to be illegal. This was maybe like 1 year ago? What in the last year happened that changed all this?

I think priority shouldn't be everyone changing their stuff now, since I bet half the community uses spartax/sunmans etc.. textures. It should be focus on finishing HR4 pack, make that pack mandatory - (force on download or something) - and make it so you cannot modify it without receiving a ban.

Cause almost every texture gives an advantage in comparison to the original ones.

But for this thread I think the main goal shouldn't be everyone saying: "is my textures good?" - cause only Jitspoe knows whats bannable. If people want to be 100% safe, get Jitspoes textures. We should find the textures we KNOW are illegal. (Ie - parts of sunmans/spartax's, neon grass, bright barrels)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
I'm confused, did textures just suddenly become unfair? I think it was Superman's pack that had the grass Aveiro posted on numerous maps. He posted screenshots comparing his textures to Jitspoe's in the "official texture thread" - and it was never said to be illegal. This was maybe like 1 year ago? What in the last year happened that changed all this?

That is exactly my point, I didn't even see that post and I doubt many other people did. I made this thread to keep track of unfair textures, as you probably know you can get banned for having unfair textures.

I think priority shouldn't be everyone changing their stuff now, since I bet half the community uses spartax/sunmans etc.. textures. It should be focus on finishing HR4 pack, make that pack mandatory - (force on download or something) - and make it so you cannot modify it without receiving a ban.
So you're suggesting to let the community have a sort of "anything goes" approach at textures until the Official is finished? We all know Jitspoe wouldn't allow that, seeing as people have already been banned for their textures. I agree though, make the Official mandatory as soon as it's finished.

But for this thread I think the main goal shouldn't be everyone saying: "is my textures good?" - cause only Jitspoe knows whats bannable. If people want to be 100% safe, get Jitspoes textures. We should find the textures we KNOW are illegal. (Ie - parts of sunmans/spartax's, neon grass, bright barrels)
Yep, that's why the textures will first go into the "WAITING FOR APPROVAL" list until Jitspoe get's a chance to look at them.
That's kind of the point of this thread, for Jitspoe to actually say "Nope, not allowed to use that one".

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »
Meh that sucks.  I believe that alot of guys will quit when official ones come out. There were already guys leaving when the new physics came. And Dp:p started to be fun again.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
http://ic3x.de/

check seldas, homies, and ascras textures out, there are screenshots

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »
As a general rule of thumb:

Take a screenshot.

gl_highres_textures 0
vid_restart

Take another screenshot and compare the two.

If the textures look pretty close, you should be fine.  If not, you should probably change them.  If you really like the textures and feel they're better than the official textures, post about that texture (or textures) in the official HR4 pack thread.  In the mean time, I guess you can post a screenshot of the low res and textures you want side by side here, but I'd much rather focus on improving the official pack rather than approving alternatives.

Really, everybody should use the official HR4 pack as a base and only use custom hr4 textures for the textures that have not been completed yet.  Provide feedback on the textures you don't like.  When the official pack is completed and enforced, you really have no right to complain if you provided no feedback.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:14:24 AM by jitspoe »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
for some weird reason, that link to the thread is bugged for me. Says unauthorized do you trust it? to which i immediately exited out.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
for some weird reason, that link to the thread is bugged for me. Says unauthorized do you trust it? to which i immediately exited out.
https, you'll be fine.

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 02:15:34 AM »
http://ic3x.de/

check seldas, homies, and ascras textures out, there are screenshots

uhm actually, they arent mine, i just chose texts which i liked most from sunman selda etcetc