Author Topic: New York  (Read 48511 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New York Beta 9
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
We were watching them and making fun of it on teamspeak 3 the other day. We were talking about mapping and u got brought up. Was quite funny, im sure you would think different though. How else did you think we found out you are a ginger?
No you don't understand, I made most of those videos 2-3 years ago and I enjoy laughing at my pre-teen self. My earliest works are the funniest.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
No you don't understand, I made most of those videos 2-3 years ago and I enjoy laughing at my pre-teen self. My earliest works are the funniest.

I have to say, you had a lot of confidence. Props to you for putting yourself out there at such a young age. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEb_uAa_ZHk

+1 Funniest thing I have watched this week :D Nice to see you enjoyed your childhood.

Anyway, lets get back on topic.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEb_uAa_ZHk
Sorry for getting more offtopic, but I have some things to say about that.

1. Is that really you?
2. Why can't you stop laughing?
3. Um...bye.

Good luck with New York! The only thing I suggest (some others may have said it) is to make all the paths almost equal in length. There's one path that I always try to get to in this map that takes you flag to flag in 10 seconds. But the ground route takes like 30 seconds to get to each flag.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
Sorry for getting more offtopic, but I have some things to say about that.

1. Is that really you?
2. Why can't you stop laughing?
3. Um...bye.

Good luck with New York! The only thing I suggest (some others may have said it) is to make all the paths almost equal in length. There's one path that I always try to get to in this map that takes you flag to flag in 10 seconds. But the ground route takes like 30 seconds to get to each flag.
1. Yes, about 2 years ago. It's funny how much one changes from just 2 years of puberty.
2. This isn't a serious video. I actually don't play minecraft at all and never have.
3. Bye

Which path is this? I made the fastest path the most challenging on purpose and the slowest paths the easiest etc. But maybe I do have to speed up the streets somehow.

And if anyone would like to sign the graffiti sign, feel free. If not, that's fine too.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
Hey guys, if you downloaded my latest beta, you'll notice that I took out the old skybox and put in a new one: a more modern-looking city at sundown. I'm not sure whether I should keep this new, more HD skybox and go for a dusk theme or stick with the original and have it take place around midnight. Please tell me what you think 'cause I'm undecided so far.

EDIT: Just updated the screenshots on page 1 to showcase the new sky I'm testing. If you're too lazy to download the big zip file, then just look at that and tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:37:02 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
A few things:

- metal2_4, window_0, and window_o are missing from the non-hr4 textures.
- You should use .png files instead of .tga (cuts down on the file size).
- The low path feels really slow/awkward.  Spawning down there feels like giving a free grab to the other team.
  - Large pillar things to support the ramp get in the way - can you make them part of the building instead?
  - Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the car jumps don't seem to work very consistently.

Map is up on the beta server.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »
A few things:

- metal2_4, window_0, and window_o are missing from the non-hr4 textures.
- You should use .png files instead of .tga (cuts down on the file size).
- The low path feels really slow/awkward.  Spawning down there feels like giving a free grab to the other team.
  - Large pillar things to support the ramp get in the way - can you make them part of the building instead?
  - Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the car jumps don't seem to work very consistently.

Map is up on the beta server.
Thanks Jitspoe!
-I'll add those textures promptly
-TGA is better quality so I'll stick with that (plus the maker of that sky said in his readme that he doesn't want it to be converted to lesser file types)
-This map is designed primarily for pub/speed so even if someone spawns down there, someone else will probably spawn high to challenge a grab.
-Sure, I'll change it so that the ramp is supported by the two buildings. They do tend to be a nuisance sometimes.
-The car-to-building jump is designed to be challenging. You need quite a bit of speed and the correct timing to get it to work.

I've been doing some work to make the streets faster. I've added a few connections to higher points throughout the map. It requires a good knowledge of the map, though, and not just pure skills.

LaZeRs, I've made progress for beta 10 on that path that's faster than the others. I made it more challenging to access and angle back to slow it down.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
PNG uses lossless compression, so it won't reduce the quality.  It'll just be smaller.  I was actually referring to the metal texture there.  If the sky author doesn't want the files altered, I guess it is what it is, but it will use up a lot of server bandwidth when people connect and download the sky.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »
PNG uses lossless compression, so it won't reduce the quality.  It'll just be smaller.  I was actually referring to the metal texture there.  If the sky author doesn't want the files altered, I guess it is what it is, but it will use up a lot of server bandwidth when people connect and download the sky.
OK. I guess this map has a lot of custom textures and we don't want people waiting all day for them to download so I'll do that.

Hey jitspoe, if you're interested, I'd like to see your name on the no graffiti sign. You have been very helpful in giving me feedback on this map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2014, 10:48:06 PM »
Sure, why not...

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Sure, why not...
Aww... sweet "graffiti" Jitspoe!

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New York Beta 10: Final Release Is In Sight
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
New York Beta 10 is here! I think this is ready for its final release but tell me what you guys think!

What's New/Changed:
-changed ramp off mid car jump so it's supported by the buildings and not those blocky pillars that get in the way
-made the slick reflective floor in the building to the right of the base skyscraper longer to lengthen the high route to balance the paths
-removed oil in mid buildings because it was out of place there and made that path too quick
-fixed a few misalignments and other bugs
-made side-mid path more challenging and take longer to better balance the paths
-made a cool window thingy on high mid bridge
Overall, mostly path balancing stuff. Made the middle and upper paths longer and removed a few obstacles on street level.

What has changed in the BASEBALLDUDE Texture Pack:
-New year, new copyright date! Changed credits_01 to "2014" and changed background to new sky
-made new sky into PNG files rather than TGA because PNG is not "lossy"
Quote from: The Mighty Pete
You do not have the right to convert this skybox to a lossy type like jpg.
-updated nograffitisign with jitspoe's signature (EDIT: Not sure about this one. If it's not there, just use the one above and rename it nograffitisign.png)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izcVRKc1hRQmFmZ2s/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:17:15 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: New York Beta 10: Final Release Is In Sight
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Sorry for my impatience but some feedback would be nice. Tell me if the paths are still unbalanced or if I fixed it good enough.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
new_york_b11: Speed/Trick Jumps
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
New York Beta 11 is here! I added a few trick jumps in the image below. I have now successfully pulled off all of these jumps myself.

Some feedback would be helpful! Is this map ready for its final release, or is there work that needs to be done? In the next beta, I will push the windows into the buildings so you can't stand on nor get blocked by them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izMERqSENzR0dPOFk/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:46:36 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: New York Beta 11: Speed/Trick Jumps
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
New York Beta 11 is here! I added a few trick jumps in the image below. Out of the five shown, I have only successfully pulled off two of them. I'm sure more skilled people can do the other three; I don't think I made it impossible.

Some feedback would be helpful! Is this map ready for its final release, or is there work that needs to be done? In the next beta, I will push the windows into the buildings so you can't stand on nor get blocked by them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByutPv2Z36izME
The link doesn't work for me.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »
The link doesn't work for me.
Neither does for me. Those are so-called pros of using google drive instead of forum attachment option. But hey, I have a google drive - let's get any reason to use it.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2014, 06:36:22 PM »
OK, fixed the link, should work now.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
Put this up on the beta server and attached a demo with feedback.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Very rough demo, spent a fair bit of time looking around for various jumps as well.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
Put this up on the beta server and attached a demo with feedback.
The dumpster model is in the BASEBALLDUDE texture pack; it's under models/sk89q/w_sitters.

Jitspoe and Cameron, thanks so much for the feedback!

Misalignments can be tricky because if I drag the thing to align in one spot, it misaligns in another. I'll see what I can do.