Author Topic: sPecial 2v2 Tournaments  (Read 36508 times)

desertgrave

• PGP
Re: sPecial 2v2 Tournaments
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:57 AM »
I am still deciding when to do the next tournament. Myers suggested not to do it in 2 weeks because a lot of people will be in uni.

Please start the tournament this weekend. This is the last free weekend for me (cause of Christmas, my birthday, league game) and i want to take part in the tournament. Until now I had always league game when a tournament has taken place.

Sorry for bad english i hope you understand it.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
Just thought i would post it here, maybe you can take something from it. My idea was a series of tournaments which would end with the grand finals, while teams could get points even from unusual modes/maps (bombsaway, soccer) so all teams had chance, for the grand fianls you would get much more points.
I think your tournaments would be great for it, I unfortunately never had a chance to get it going.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D3XzgHm-E1bk5lSHJ1RUhvYzQ/edit?usp=sharing

PS:Hope you can view the link, google is pretty weird like that, sometimes it doesnt work even tho i allowed it.

Mission proposed me a similar idea. It would be an individual point system from all the tournaments, ranking by individual participants, instead of teams themselves. You'd get points for participating, coming in the top 3, or a grand prize of points. After a certain number of tournaments, the top 5 players would be announced and added to a 'hall of fame' sort of speak.

The only problem is the community. Would people actually care? It's all well and good me putting tons of effort and time into it, but I have schoolwork Etc to do on top. It's very tricky. Would people even care? Would people make the effort?

I was thinking of making an account system to go with mission's idea. So users would sign in, view their profile on what tournaments they'd won Etc and would be able to view the global leaderboard. But again, would people make the effort to use their account and login? I'm not sure, again, my effort is only worth it if the community truly will use it.

Another idea I had was to create specific competitive maps for a tournament series. (Like pbcup), maybe 'spec_', 'tourn_' or something. If you have any tag suggestions for a map series like this, please let me know!

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
Mission proposed me a similar idea.
Yes I was thinking of the MLG propoint system if anyone has heard of it.

Random example of MLG ladder: http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/xbox360/call-of-duty-ghosts/pro-points/na

Random example of MLG profile (would be like the account system JMR mentioned): http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/profile/CRAY0NS
The more these tournaments/ this game is made to feel like an esport the cooler it becomes for me :)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Okay, I really want opinions on one thing.

I was thinking of making a series of maps, with the help of my fellow spec mappers, to make a series specifically for the tournament. Then, the people would have at least 2 weeks to learn each map and the series would become the maplist for the tournament. The tag would be 'spec_', just like 'pbcup', but for the spec competitions.

I want to know,
(1) Would you take the time to learn the maps? (I'd provide .loc files so you could use text recon.)

(2) What do you think of the 'spec_' tag? I mean, #sPec# are here to last, so, I don't think there's much issue there. Plus these maps will be 'special' anyway, we will put a lot of time and detail in them, so they will be different from the rest in a good way. I will really think about competitive gameplay for these maps too.

(3) Would you support the idea in general? Y/N?

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:21 AM »
I would do all three. :D

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
Okay, I really want opinions on one thing.

I was thinking of making a series of maps, with the help of my fellow spec mappers, to make a series specifically for the tournament. Then, the people would have at least 2 weeks to learn each map and the series would become the maplist for the tournament. The tag would be 'spec_', just like 'pbcup', but for the spec competitions.

I want to know,
(1) Would you take the time to learn the maps? (I'd provide .loc files so you could use text recon.)

(2) What do you think of the 'spec_' tag? I mean, #sPec# are here to last, so, I don't think there's much issue there. Plus these maps will be 'special' anyway, we will put a lot of time and detail in them, so they will be different from the rest in a good way. I will really think about competitive gameplay for these maps too.

(3) Would you support the idea in general? Y/N?

No, all of your maps make me lag.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »

No, all of your maps make me lag.

The new ones won't, trust me :) I've learnt a lot

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
I wouldn't trust ourselves as a clan, as talented as you, stomper and omni are, to make a full set of maps with exceptional gameplay in a reasonably finite amount of time  (because thats what it really takes to make a map for a tourny). It would take too long, atleast 2 weeks to put each map into beta, then if you want them to be good, countless hours of enhancing and bug fixes. DP has already got a fine set of maps... unless you are thinking or re skinning the maps? Well then some pople may feel the gameplay has changed too much... idk is it worth the effort?

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
I wouldn't trust ourselves as a clan, as talented as you, stomper and omni are, to make a full set of maps with exceptional gameplay in a reasonably finite amount of time  (because thats what it really takes to make a map for a tourny). It would take too long, atleast 2 weeks to put each map into beta, then if you want them to be good, countless hours of enhancing and bug fixes. DP has already got a fine set of maps... unless you are thinking or re skinning the maps? Well then some pople may feel the gameplay has changed too much... idk is it worth the effort?

I could make 3 maps in 2 months, this would be like over the course of like 3 months. The maps would be brand new, like the current one I am working on for example :)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
Unfortunately, this is DP2. If these maps weren't instantly seen as Pbcup level quality, I highly doubt you will increase participation. So at best, all your work will give you the same outcome - and possibly less if people don't like the map. So, the question to you becomes: Is that effort worth the same participation - and potentially less?

NA's are stubborn, they wont join if they don't like the maps. So, you certainly wont increase through NA participation, other than the ones who have previously participated, that is.

And as far as I know, most of the EU teams already participate. So, as long as they like the maps participation wont be changed there.

I don't think it's worth the effort when the max you can get is 2v2. In reality, most 2v2 games don't really require much communication between teams, you rarely set up grabs etc... If it gets to the point where you're able to constantly run 3v3 tournaments then I would say it'd be worth giving it a shot with this idea.

So, IMO, you should work on maps that can be viable in 3v3 play, but don't release them yet. Try to get 3-5 maps done, then if your tournaments pick up and expand, release them and try the idea. If they don't, then just release them as maps, and try to incorporate them into tournaments.

As for the name - I wouldn't do a team name. spec_whatevermap isn't good. eR33t didn't do eR33t_map - they did Pbcup. Try to find some alternative. Eventually, if the game is still "active" after you quit, having your tag in the name will seem weird.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
Just try to make one 3vs3 tournament, and we will see, if its all possible or not.

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2013, 04:54:01 AM »
so is there going to be a tourney this weekend?

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2013, 05:09:40 AM »
I don't think so, he wasn't online yesterday to prepare.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2013, 06:15:54 AM »

No, I'm sorry there is not. It takes at least a week to prepare for a tournament like this. The 2v2 tournament series is for every OTHER Saturday, but the series has been halted until I get another solid date plan and processs feedback. :)

Who would play 3v3? I'm guessing there'd only be like 4 teams.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:56:36 AM by JordanMRichards »

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »
I think that every team which played 2v2 could get another mate to play 3v3 or at least most of them. The question is, if they would want to play/ had time to play.
Also commentating 3v3 would be easier than 2v2, because in 3v3 there is some strategy, while 2v2 can be won by single person.

We would participate in 3v3 or 2v2.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
I would 100% participate in a 3 versus 3, assuming I do not work during it - and it doesn't conflict with a final exam for this semester.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
I think the best thing to do for now would probably be to try another tournament similar to the 2v2 but with 3v3.  You've established a process that works pretty well, so I'd build on it slowly.

As for map prefixes, I don't like the idea.  I don't like the pbcup_ prefixes, personally.  It just seems weird to me, as the maps will likely be played outside of the tournaments if they are good, and it's just unnecessary characters to type when loading the maps.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
Prefixes keep the maps together in a database and promote other maps in the series, for example, "pbcup_pforest is a good map, i think i will look at the other pbcup maps". However I would still rather do a 3s tourny will normal maps.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
Planning on holding a 3v3 tournament in about 2 weeks. Been spending time organizing this and seeing what I can improve on from last time. :)

It was good that we had a 2 week break as it lets me up the standard. I might hold it on the 21st.

I will be creating a new 3v3 thread once I finalize things. Will be interesting on how many teams will turn up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:42:59 AM by JordanMRichards »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »
Cool.  I'll be out of town, but hopefully it goes well if you decide to run it.